Home
Posted this in the levergun section, but figured I'd post it here, too:

I could use some help. I have a Savage 1899 in 300 Savage I inherited and would like to sell (not a real sentimental person I guess, even less of a collector), but I know next to nothing about these guns. It's had some bling added to it, which I'm sure doesn't add to the value. But if y'all could tell me a little about what I have here and what it might be worth to someone else, I'd be very appreciative.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6bhPoe82tS4u7aE67

Thanks in advance!
I am interested in buying this perhaps.

I live near missoula, salmon Idaho.

I left you a pm.

Thanks
Looks like it started life as a 99 G takedown. That handguard is an interesting addition. It appears the barrel band holds the front in place, but how is the rear of it attached?

As to value, it wouldn't be worth a lot to me, but it is interesting to see where tinkering led some folks through the years.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Looks like it started life as a 99 G takedown. That handguard is an interesting addition. It appears the barrel band holds the front in place, but how is the rear of it attached?

As to value, it wouldn't be worth a lot to me, but it is interesting to see where tinkering led some folks through the years.

Betcha there's a spring clip under the back end of the handguard, anchored by the screw or rivet I see. (Could be one of S99VG's MGB seat upholstery clips modified for handguard clamping! grin )

For some reason this one sings to me too. I hope you can secure it Angus. It's a tasteful and well executed piece of Americana.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am interested in buying this perhaps.

I live near missoula, salmon Idaho.

I left you a pm.

Thanks

Sonuvabitch!
If you look at photo #6 you can see a pin in the rear of

the top wood to hold it down.
very tastefully done.

Norm
That looks like a screw going into the rear sight base to me. I wish I could checker a stock like that!
Maxwell, has the rifle been sold?
Unique.
Haven't sold it, and not sure I will.
Originally Posted by Maxwell
I inherited and would like to sell (not a real sentimental person I guess, even less of a collector)

Haven't sold it, and not sure I will.
Well that's a far cry from a few days ago. smile
What happened?
Haha, I guess you guys talked me into taking another look at it!
Good for you!
It'll continue to grow on you.

p.s. Check out the Savage Fest 2024 thread. We'll be in your neighborhood. Bring the rifle along.
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Good for you!
It'll continue to grow on you.

p.s. Check out the Savage Fest 2024 thread. We'll be in your neighborhood. Bring the rifle along.
I'll have a few one-offs on display, such as the one piece stock prototype I got from RAS. I would really like to see that rifle. I hope you'll bring it.
© 24hourcampfire