Home
I have purchased a Savage 1899H. Takedown. 250-3000 caliber, serial number show 1915 mfg date. It is entirely functional but filthy. Disassemble for cleaning. The question is about a metal insert within the underside of the fore end. It is round with a square in the center. Can some one please tell me what the purpose of this part is? It doe snot appear to have anything to do with attaching the fore end to the barrel. With some effort it can be turned with a male square tool, but it does not appear to be threaded not does it come out easily. I simply left it alone. Nevertheless would appreciate knowing what it does. Thanks. Dan
Leave it alone you may damage the forearm playing with it. It's a tool that turns the forearm into a wrench for turning the takedown barrel by laying it over the barrel lug that s used to attach the forearm.
Ya sure it's not a hidden adapter for owner-installed Harris bipods Roy?
Originally Posted by wheelerdan
I have purchased a Savage 1899H. Takedown. 250-3000 caliber, serial number show 1915 mfg date. It is entirely functional but filthy. Disassemble for cleaning. The question is about a metal insert within the underside of the fore end. It is round with a square in the center. Can some one please tell me what the purpose of this part is? It doe snot appear to have anything to do with attaching the fore end to the barrel. With some effort it can be turned with a male square tool, but it does not appear to be threaded not does it come out easily. I simply left it alone. Nevertheless would appreciate knowing what it does. Thanks. Dan
If your rifle was made in 1915, then it will be a Savage 1899 Model 250-3000, which was the only model sold chambered in 250-3000 until 1921. It should have a pistol grip and checkering, and a perchbelly buttstock.

As said, it's for fitting over the lug on the bottom of the barrel and twisting the barrel to remove it when the bolt is back. BUT, as Fireball2 said, forearms are known to crack when it's used this way and twisted hard. So best not to use it at all.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ya sure it's not a hidden adapter for owner-installed Harris bipods Roy?

I thought ever one shot offa the hood?
© 24hourcampfire