Home
Posted By: jar how to repair holes in wood ??? - 02/17/24
I have a 99 EG in 308 that some fool put in screw in eyelets for a rifle strap and accually made a crack in the forward end of the forearm and then the standard hole in the buttstock . dose anyone have suggestions on glues and what to do about refilling the holes ??? any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks , steve
Pictures?
Yeah, pics please. In some ways holes are worse to repair/camouflage than cracks.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yeah, pics please. In some ways holes are worse to repair/camouflage than cracks.

Holes are best repaired when they are made anything but round. Enlarging the hole to follow the wood grain lines then cutting a plug to correspond is not for the faint of heart but is one way to hide a hole. Put on your A-game for that one.
I’ve covered some holes with inlays of various sorts - if in locations “suitable” for such things. Also if plugged with wood of a similar nature prudently used stains after a stock refinishing can get one pretty close to “invisible”. But like Fireball says the better you want it to look the more time it will take (paraphrasing here FB😊). I knew one furniture restorationist that would painstakingly match the wood then paint the wood pores in🥴…….looked beautiful but only ever met one of those type of people!!

As for glues any wood glue works fine - I typically use expoy though.

PennDog
© 24hourcampfire