Home
Posted By: wyo1895 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
I was asked to post this letter. The owner wants to sell it and wonders what it's worth.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
The content is very interesting and seems to answer an age-old question. The cat's outa the bag though. Can't see it bringing an eye watering amount...
That letter is more valuable than a 99C oct. barrel. wink
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
PM sent, David
Wow I really love stuff like this!!! This letter would go really nice on display with our NIB 99C rifles that we have with octagon barrels !! Thanks for sharing !!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
Just talked to Tom Mitchell (tommy guns) he said he sold a couple for 17/18 without the box. $2200 for one with the box.
I had no idea the letter would be that rare or desirable.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Just talked to Tom Mitchell (tommy guns) he said he sold a couple for 17/18 without the box. $2200 for one with the box.

I assume you are talking about guns going for that amount? What is the estimated value of the letter by itself??
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
Jerry’s flagship store in Forest City was about half hours ride from here and Jerry’s PA Warehouse was about 2 miles from my house.
When one ordered a gun from one of the local shops in the 1970’s - 1990’s more often than not it came from Jerry’s.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/23/24
Wow at the gun show today, I saw a C MD 99 with an Oct. Barrel, but it also had the lever, nickle or plated Silver asking $950.00, I didn't look to hard at it!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by wyo1895

I assume you are talking about guns going for that amount? What is the estimated value of the letter by itself??
The letter is nifty.
The value is in the content.
Direct link to the rifles and the quantity made.
I agree this letter is really something!! Especially since it is straight from savage saying about how many were made. Would make a great addition to any collection that has one of these rifles in it.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/24/24
Cool to see an original letter!

Same info is printed on page 100.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/24/24
Very interested to see how much it’s worth.
Have always felt that cardboard, paper and other provenance can be VERY expensive
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99C octagon barrel - 03/24/24
He is going to sell it but hasn't settled on a price. He has another letter from John Cavanaugh confirming the letter to Ace Hardware. I asked him to email it to me with his name and address covered.
He said he's reluctant to deal with an FFL and hopes whoever buys it comes to get it.
Confused. crazy

Is a 99C rifle for sale? or the posted letter correspondence?
sorry about that. Yes, the sale will include the rifle and both letters
He said Donovan, he meant J.T.Callahan. Here's the letter, more cool info.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackbat242 Re: 99C octagon barrel - 04/23/24
Ah... you are speaking about a late 99C... not an 1899C like I have (half-octagon barrel, .303 Savage chambering. wink
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99C octagon barrel - 04/23/24
some detachable mag 99C's were fitted with leftover 75th anniversary octagon barrels in the 1970's.
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: 99C octagon barrel - 04/23/24
Wyo1895. Thank you for this interesting information. I have a friend who has one of the above. I will inform him of this.
© 24hourcampfire