Home
Nan and I just got back. She did AWESOME!!!!!!! 1st deer a HUCE 4 pointer @ 265 yards

[Linked Image]

Her second was equally as nice but allot closer. About 75 yards. She took a flash picture of the deer BEFORE dropping the hammer.

[Linked Image]

I have to admit. I was apprehensive about using a .250 and an 87 grain pill. It was so much out of character for me. I am a bigger bore fan. BUT my mind has been changed forever. I tried a smallish deer first time purposly.

[Linked Image]

Once I saw what it did to that deer I decided to use it for my second one. I am sold on that rifle/bullet combination. Here's my second deer.

[Linked Image]

And here's a picture of what it did to a particular organ needed for sustaining life.

[Linked Image]

STEVER,,, notice the "good luck" charm in a couple of those pictures!!! Thank You.!!!!!
Fine, Fine job My friend!!!! very nice bucks, and Nans Is a Dandy, glad ya bloodied the 250! what do these deer Lbs? they look big boddied! and ya had snow too, love hunting in the snow! a big Congrads to you and the wife! John
A HUGE thank you to you for making the trade. Weights were Nan's = 155 lbs. and 125 lbs. Mine were 105 lbs and 126 lbs. Not huge, but respectable.
Iv never been happyer about the trade! wish I was on that trip with ya tho, did ya see alot of deer? how much snow did ya have? did ya hunt at all with the 38-55 and the boone? Only one way the Savage way! John
Congrats to the both of you! Is the Contender a 250 also?
Beeeeeeeeeautiful!
That is one gorgeous shootin' iron!
T/C Encore 7mm-08. Perfect, perfect gun for her.
This is a young man I met on the island. A few weeks ago we had a thread going about how many of us see 99's in the woods while deer hunting. Surprisingly, or maybe not, not many are seen. Well here's a young man that borrowed a gun to hunt with. He thought it looked "cool." Not only did it look cool, it shot well. He shot both deer within 1 hour.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/26/07
Steve, nice job you and the missis, which camp did you hunt out of? the 250 came through nice for ya glad everything went well.If i could find a peep sight for my 1920 id use it the rear sight is just a blur to me. Don
Congrats! Glad it was a good trip, and glad to see that the 250 did fine. It's an addictive little cartridge..
We hunted out of Chicotte. Ran into a fella from Littleton. Bob Somerville. Said he knows you and Richard. Said he hunted with you at Carleton. They closed Carleton camp this year. People out of MacDonald hunt the Carleton sector as well now. It was a first. I never killed a deer with a bolt action OR such a small bullet. I guess you really are NEVER tool old to learn.
Posted By: Loggah Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/26/07
Small world aint it. grin Don
Posted By: FCGS Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/26/07
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I guess you really are NEVER tool old to learn.

Guess not!

I too am very surprised at what that little gun can do!

I am going hunting now!

LBK ,

congrats on the hunt ! You and Nan look like you had a great time ...... My wife wants to hunt with me and her father once the kids grow up a bit .

The yield from those deer should last you guys all year !! .... Also , the mass on the 4 point you got is very impressive !!

What 87 grain bullet did you use ?

What powder did you use ?

I just started to use 85 grain Nosler Partrition rather than the 100 grainers in the .243 WCF ..... I am very impressed with my results also . I think I found a new hunting bullet for that caliber ...
Congrats to you and your wife on a great hunt.Very nice Deer.

Mike
Nicely done..Nan's was a long polk.I really like the ivory color on her four..no brow tines?
Nan and I just got back. She did AWESOME!!!!!!! 1st deer a HUCE 4 pointer @ 265 yards

[Linked Image]

Her second was equally as nice but allot closer. About 75 yards. She took a flash picture of the deer BEFORE dropping the hammer.

[Linked Image]

I have to admit. I was apprehensive about using a .250 and an 87 grain pill. It was so much out of character for me. I am a bigger bore fan. BUT my mind has been changed forever. I tried a smallish deer first time purposly.

[Linked Image]

Once I saw what it did to that deer I decided to use it for my second one. I am sold on that rifle/bullet combination. Here's my second deer.

[Linked Image]

And here's a picture of what it did to a particular organ needed for sustaining life.

[Linked Image]

STEVER,,, notice the "good luck" charm in a couple of those pictures!!! Thank You.!!!!!

Great Job Nancy!
That is an Assume Buck ya Got Their!!!!!
Congrats to You.......
Now Stephen,,,,
I Like the Hat! grin grin grin
That Hungarian voodoo antler severed ya well.
I am truly Happy Both Of Ya Done Fantastic.
How Ever,,and I say this,,,,Put Nancy on as a Member Here on the 24. My Hats Off to Her as a Woman Hunter that is an Assume Buck and You are truly Blessed to Have a Wife that is also a Hunting partner with You.
Steve
Posted By: TomT Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/26/07
Congratulations Nan and Steve! It seems like only yesterday that we were talking about the trip in Jed's family barn. It looks like like you both had a blast! You've inspired me to start planning for a trip back to Anticosti in 2008. I'm going to check out the Sepaq web site now.

Thanks for sharing the pics. -Tom
Great Deer for you and the wife LBK. Those TC's are pretty slick little rifles too. Les
What you see is what you get. Best 4 I have ever seen. No brow tines.!!!!! GREAT SHOT!!!
AWESOME, just AWESOME......

Mike....
I like this time of year on the forum.
Posted By: Joe Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/26/07
Nice, very nice! Is the scope offset to the left on your rifle?
Very nicely done!
The picture is somewhat deceiving. Yes it is offset "somewhat." It's only about 1/32 of an inch. Because it is so high and because of the way the rifle is positoned the offset LOOKS much greater. I was really apprehensive of the height. But it was really allot easier than I thought it would be. That's a Weaver on it right now. While I was away, the boys in the shop finished a new mount for me so I can put my Lyman scope on it.
The short-lived Leupold 7/8" Alaskans seem to be about the right scale of scope for the Savage 1920s.

Jeff
Don't you mean LYMAN Alaskan?????
No, I mean the 2.5x, 4x, and 6x 7/8" Alaskan series of steel-tube scopes that Leupold made in 1990/91(ish). Optically speaking, they are far superior to any of the Connecticut-made Lyman Alaskans.

I will note for the record that Larry Koller's Savage 1920 sports a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan in a Weaver N mount, installed, I would assume, sometime after he wrote "Shots At Whitetails". Since that rifle has a history worth preserving, or at least for me it does, it gets to keep its Lyman optics.

Jeff
Posted By: Loggah Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/27/07
Jeff, You dont have his krag sporter to, do ya looked nice. Don
No, but I've seen LK's mannlicher stocked Springfield-Krag.

I wish that I had had the $$ to buy LK's 1st Model Newton in 256. G&H-style stock and G&H side-mount with a 6x Kollmorgan scope. The $1,200 asking price was more than this poor graduate student could afford in 1985. I also wish that I'd had the foresight and $$ to buy LK's Savage 99G about 20 years ago. $500 seemed like a lot of $$ then, even when considering that the rifle came with the original box, original receipt to LK, and hand-written bill of sale from LK.

Jeff
Originally Posted by let_me_in
I like this time of year on the forum.

Yes Sir - I too love this time ........ " It's the most , wonderful time of the year " grin
LBK, Nan, congrats on a great hunt! That is a HUGE 4 pt. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Did it look anything like this Krag sporter????

[Linked Image]

Oh...........................thats purty!
Posted By: Loggah Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/27/07
LBK, similar to it i dont remember if it had a recoil pad or not, only seen it in pictures ,nice looking rifle. Don
Thanks for the compliment. I traded a Winchester Mdl. 50 even for it about 15 years ago. Whoever did the woodwork on it used the original stock. Got a Redfield receiver sight from Gary Fellers. No tapping needed. Mounts in the magazine disconnect.
Similar, but not the same. IIRC, it had had the magazine modified so that it was flush with the right side of the stock.

The best mannlicher stocked Krag custom sporter that I've ever owned was made by Arlington(?), VT, 'smith Wilbur Hauck.

Jeff
Jeff, any idea where that Hauck Krag is today? About ten years back I was trying to track down a Hauck Krag, never caught up with the rifle, wonder if it was the same one.

Mark
Posted By: hatari Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/28/07
The Savage 99 and Anticosti are just a natural match for me. I hunted Jupiter 12 a few years ago with Rene Borque. As I unloaded my 99 F TD there, another hunter proudly produced his "newer" 99C. Both were in .300.

Everyone in camp, including writer Jon R. Sundra admired the 99's as the classics they are. The Savages were paid more attention, and compliments than even several custom "beanfield" rifles that sport hefty pricetags. The 99's performed in the field, as the always do, superbly.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that it is in Anchorage, AK.

The story behind the rifle that I had was that WH made it for his Brother or BIL, who subsequently traded it toward a pre-'64 Winchester 70. I bought it from the late Bill DeVaux from Norwich, VT, in November 1984.

Jeff
Jeff

will alert Mike Petrov !!!

Mark
I could always email the guy who owns it and ask him if he is interested in selling it. I traded it to him for his spare Remington 3200 skeet gun and the Briley 20/28/410 tube set that went with the shotgun.

Who is Mike Petrov?

Jeff
Jeff,

Mike is our Great Guru on pre WWII American customs, has the Niedner records, has been writing a series for Precision Shooting and has a book out now, he is in Anchorage. Has a wonderful collection heavy on Springfield sporters. He is organizing a display of prewar customs for the Jan 25-27 Reno show of the Amer. Custom Gunmakers Guild, there will be about fifty or so, their like will probably never be in the same place again, if you can get there you should. I am sending half a dozen. There will be some amazing guns there. In addition to all the fab contemporary stuff. As to the Anchorage Krag, I would indeed appreciate your asking the owner if he might some day consider parting with it. I collect custom Krags and have them, inter alia, by G&H, Neidner, Shelhamer, Adolph (Townsend Whelen's), Sedgely, Schultz & Larsen, Holland & Holland, Emmons, Fisher, etc. But I do not, alas, have a Hauck ......

Mark
Nice Hi-jack. Maybe another thread could be started!!!!! smile
Posted By: Loggah Re: .250 M1920 and Anticosti!!! - 11/30/07
grin grin grin. Don
A HUGE thank you to you for making the trade. Weights were Nan's = 155 lbs. and 125 lbs. Mine were 105 lbs and 126 lbs. Not huge, but respectable.

Stephen
I sent Ya a P.M.! Question on the 1920's.
Call Me at Work Please or Ansewer P.M.
P.S. Not tryin to Hi-Jack! grin
Stever

LBK,

Congrats, it's great to see you and Nan had a great time up there on Anticosti, especially good to see that little 1920 bringing home the venison.

Jeff would you please post picks of LK's famed 1920 sometime.(Big fan of Larry Koller over here!)Sorry to here that his "G" slipped through your fingers! frown
© 24hourcampfire