Home
Posted By: Loggah Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
I recently got a 1899H in 22 HP with a lyman 21 reciever sight on it. I have seen a few savages with these on them, and i was wondering if anyone knows how rare they are? In Nick Strobels book "old gunsights" they are not even listed, it is marked S A on the back of the sight bar, it also appears to have a flip down aperture that was listed in a lyman model 38 reciever sight. Don
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Rarer than sex!
Posted By: BillR Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
I have one and it has the fold down aperture. Mine was off an SRC that my Dad had boughten 20 years ago. It is sitting in my spare parts box.
They must be rare as I have only ever seen mine and one picture of another. You have just increased that number by 50%.
I've often considered having a rifle of early vintage tapped and sight installed but not certain if it is a wise move.
BillR
Posted By: Loggah Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Thats a pretty broad answer!! grin sex is world wide i think, maybe some type of specific sex!! grin Don
Posted By: WesJ Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
I have had one, which now resides in a western state.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Yep, thanks to Wes it resides in my house laugh Photos? Let me know I can repost them. Ryan

P.S. Wes,when you gonna sell me that neat Stevens in 30 Remington? wink
Posted By: Plab Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
" rarer than sex " jed that would be impossible , there would be no Lyman 21,

plab
I had seen 2 others beside this one,one at the last savagefest, and one on a rifle on gunbroker, i dont know if they all had the folddown aperture. Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Would love to see a pic.. Ryan, if you can't find a pic I can maybe dig up a pic from the SavageFest of it. If I can figure out which sight is a Lyman 21. grin
Rory, Its the one commonly called "clyman lyman" grin Don
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Originally Posted by Loggah
I had seen 2 others beside this one,one at the last savagefest, and one on a rifle on gunbroker, i dont know if they all had the folddown aperture. Don

Don
Congrats on the Rifle and Sight.
I saw when ya Nabbed that One. Sure Looked Nice.
My Sight also has the S A stamp on back. Mike Savage 99-358 has a gun with one.
And I seen an old Lyman Catalog from the 20's-30's with one in it.
But Your Right No Mention in Strobels book.
I would say Very Rare.
Congrat again Don. Happy for Ya.
Steve

Here Is Mine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tinknocker Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
I have a model 21 on a marlin model 1893 mine does not have a fold down aperature. SORRY it does have a fold down aperature.
Don
Here is another.
Steve
[Linked Image]
Steve, how many does that make we know of ? 7 or 8 ? Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Aaah... got it. Cabela's had one for quite a while on their web site, didn't they?
Originally Posted by Loggah
Steve, how many does that make we know of ? 7 or 8 ? Don

Well
Let Me See! grin If I Recall correctly,,I seen 4 or maybe 5
at the Fest,,Yours, Mine,.
Your Probably right 7 or 8 that I Know of,,,And Then theres Ryan that Has One from what He Said up in another Post,,,so maybe even 9.
Steve

P.S.
I think a Cardi and coke will make it all Clear! smile
Again Don,,That Was a nice lookin rifle and sight ya grabbed. Happy for Ya.

Yep, thats where i saw it,not on gunbroker, i thought the cabalas rifle didn't have a lot of finish, looked like the rifle stever posted. Don
Not supposed to have any alcohol !! eek don't mix with my meds. mad Don
The Photo of the Gun with the Sight was Mike's,,And It was a 303 i think or a 30-30,,,,
My Sight I got From an Oldtimer In PA. About a year ago.
And I found another thats home all pitted up,not deep though, that i'am in the process of cleaning up.Missing a lever Screw.
Steve
Posted By: vigillinus Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Strictly for you sight collectors. It's about the worst peepsight you can use on a 99 and that is no doubt the reason for its rarity. Too far from the eye, crude adjustments, and if I am not mistaken the rifle has to be drilled and tapped to mount it.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
I think one (Perchbelly?) at the Fest was Winchester marked vs. Savage. I don't remember which version of the sight it was. If anyone has a Winchester version they could compare to the Savage it might be good info to have.

Since the Savage receiver is about 5/16" wider than a Winchester I would think the sight would need to be adjustable for windage. Don't know if the mounting hole would be in the same place or not.

I have a feeling that the Savage version might not have been made for as many years as the Winchester. We might be able to guess at a time period by collection the serial number of the rifles with these sights added. It might have been one of those hot items till something better came along then quickly died.
Rick, they are adjustable for windage with a mallet!! the savage ones have a real gradual curve that follows the curve of the receiver, the winchester and marlin have a relatively sharp 90% bend on the top, the savage ones have a S A stamp on the inside. My rifle serial number is 144xxx. Don
Hey Don
Ya shoot that gun since she's been Home??????
I'll bet she's a tack driver!
Steve
Posted By: tinknocker Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
The one I have on the marlin has J marked on the inside and it has a windage adjustment
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
I think yours is a #38 sight.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/13/08
Mine is for the Winchester and is windage adjustable. The rear mounting hole is in the same place but the front is further forward. I have very little right side adjustment but its shooting where it needs to, so thats fine. Wes sold it to me a couple years back and mine is in 30-30.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Mine is for the Winchester and is windage adjustable. The rear mounting hole is in the same place but the front is further forward. I have very little right side adjustment but its shooting where it needs to, so thats fine. Wes sold it to me a couple years back and mine is in 30-30.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ryan
Very Nice. Looks Great.
Steve
Posted By: boltman Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
I've seen about 6 or 7 over the last 35 years or so, but that is a whole lot more than I have seen fitted with this rare sight:
[Linked Image]

If you find either sight, they both represent a problem. You have to drill and tap the receiver to mount the Climbin Lyman and you have to drill holes in the wood the mount the one I have. Well, not actually, as you can see I have gone with the rubber band method. Not quite as sturdy but much better as far as value reduction wink
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08

Foxy had one some time ago but the thought of a drill on a 99

stoped me. Dam them holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need the real thing put on a BRAYTON TUBELESS TELESCOPIC

the real thing .

Doug
Posted By: vigillinus Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
I have had both the 21 and 38 on 1895 Winchesters, both adjust for windage, but as noted above the 21 has to be tapped from side to side. The 38 has screw adjustment but the adjustment knob was too easy to move, could see it getting turned going in and out of a gun case.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
Doug, i'll put a BRAYTON on as soon as i find one!!! grin i probably wouldn't drill any extra holes either ,but i dont mind when i find a model 21 all ready mounted. Don
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
Hey Doug, put Brayton Tubeless in a google search and see what you get - very interesting!
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
http://www.google.com/patents?id=f19cAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Brayton+sight&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1#PPA1,M1
Posted By: boltman Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
I'll take it! smile
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/14/08
Murray, page 5-28 for those who might be lost.

Posted By: perchbellie Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/16/08
BRAYTON TUBELESS TELESCOPIC
I saw this one at the first "Fest"
[img][IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd288/perchbellie/18edit.jpg[/img][/img]
Here are a couple of pictures of my Lyman 21 sitting on a serial # 86.0XX [img][IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd288/perchbellie/sideview21edit.jpg[/img][/img]
This is the SA stamp [img][IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd288/perchbellie/lyman21SAedit.jpg[/img][/img]
Engraving [img][IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd288/perchbellie/21PATStampedit.jpg[/img][/img]
The peep aperature [img][IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd288/perchbellie/21peepopenedit.jpg[/img][/img]
Yesterday at the P.G.C.A. show in Greensburgs I asked Ken Bean (aka "The Sight Man")about the Lyman 21 for a Savage, he said that he has seen three of them. He had a pivoting arm for one but none of the locking hardware.
I'm feeling my years I guess, I can remember when we used to see them all the time on savage 99s and Win. M-95s...then they seemed to disapear...Some of the tang sights were pretty unpopular by yesteryears hunters as they had a habit of sticking in your eye, fortunatly I don't know of anyone that lost an eye, but plenty of folks somehow stuck them in their eye, usually in the bone over the eye itselfs...:) smile
Posted By: boltman Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/16/08
Ray - I seem to recall a hunt written up decades ago where a woman had injured if not lost her eye using a tang sight. I think maybe she was shooting a Savage '99. I recall she was shooting up at a sharp angle - which does make an eye injury like this a lot more possible. In this regard, the Lyman No. 21 was a lot less likely to cause an injury than a tang sight. By the way, I do recall when you saw these sights all the time on '95, '86, '94 and to some extent '92 Winchesters. Don't see them near as often anymore. But, I never saw them with any frequency on Savages. Of course, I'm not as long in the tooth as some here wink
Posted By: Loggah Re: Lyman model 21 sight - 11/16/08
I know on my 1899H it fits me real fine ,of course i have longer arms than some and a tang sight would be pretty close to me eye. seems they are pretty rare if ken's only seen "3" .Don
© 24hourcampfire