Home
Posted By: RLW Model 1899 22 HP - 10/02/03
Gents,
I am looking at an 1899, I was hoping somebody could tell me the model, year made, etc...
ser. # 165523.
22 HP. caliber.
reciever sight.
2 rear leaf sight, one leaf has a white (ivory?)
diamond.
19" barrel.
lever safety.
take down model.
Brass counter.
Metal buttplate with indian chief logo, that says Savage quality.
The barrel is stamped " Manufactured by Savage Arms Company Utica, N.Y. USA Pat FE87 1893. Oct 3 1899 june 1 1909
The metal has a patina type of finish. The wood schnabel forend and stock doesn't have any engraving.
A dealer told me brass is necked down 30-30 WCF, & dies are available from RCBS. Does anybody make brass for this caliber?
How about bullets & loads?
The barrel is loose in the reciever, is this a common problem?
Anybodys' opinion on the guns value? I would rate it at 50%.
Thanks,
RLW
Posted By: Steve95 Re: Model 1899 22 HP - 10/03/03
RLW,
Your rifle was made in early 1915. I believe the only .22 HP that year was the Model 1899 H featherweight. Should have a 20 inch brl and straight stock. Your barrel address is a bit off for that year--you got it posted complete? The front sight should be in an integral lug. Could be a different barrel than original--which might account for the loose barrel--I wouldn't shoot it that way. Norma still has ammo for this cal, but S & B has it too and it is less expensive although they use .224 cal bullets instead of the .227 that is usually necessary for good accuracy. I believe Hornaday is the only bullet maker selling the .227 bullets. I've reloaded them into the S & B brass with good luck. Steve
Posted By: RLW Re: Model 1899 22 HP - 10/03/03
Thanks Steve,
The front sight is integral, it has a white metal blade.
It is a take down model, I am waiting for a manual before I take it apart, but I am thnking that perhaps it was taken down & not put together properly. The barrel has about 2/100 of wiggle. I will definitely have a gun smith look at it.
Steve,What do you think it's worth?
RLW
Posted By: Steve95 Re: Model 1899 22 HP - 10/03/03
RLW, at 50% I wouldn't consider the rifle much of a collector unless someone were just collecting calibers. Do all the serial numbers match? Outside of the loose barrel I would say the value would be somewhere around 3 or 4 hundred but I've seen them go for more. About three years ago I saw one s/n 220022, around 65 or 70%, in a pawn shop with a thousand dollar price tag. It sat there for a couple of years and then disappeared, so apparently someone thought it was worth that. Steve
© 24hourcampfire