Home
Posted By: salvo First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
Looks like there is allot of Savage wisdom in this forum!
I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my first Savage 99. Hope you guys can help educate me a bit about them,
This one according to the seller is a 1949 model in 300 Savage #5193XX 24" barrel, it has a Bausch & Lomb BALfor 4X scope and Kuharsky adjustable 1 piece base.
I have a bunch of questions, but just generally like to learn about this rifle.
I notice every one seems to refer to a letter after the 99, Like 99F, what does the letter/s mean? From my searching I think it is a 99EG?
Does this rifle have the brass magazine?
Any input about the scope and mount?
Was the rifle D&T at the factory?
If you have any good informative links I could read, that would be great also.
I paid $499.00 seemed fair to me and I figure that's all that matters as far as price goes.

Here are a few of the pictures sent to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you.
Posted By: stanme Re: First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
Looks nice to me. Very nice find.
Posted By: Loggah Re: First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
Looks like a nice looking EG, with a Baush & Lomb scope and mounts. The B&L scopes were the top of the line at time nice combination . Don
Posted By: 99guy Re: First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
EG. Not factory D@T

Looks like a nice hunter/shooter.

Price for the whole set-up seems fair.

Shoot something with it and post a picture.

Good luck!

Randy
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
As all have said. Very nice, especially with the optics system mounted. Great hunter/shooter. Congratulations. The first Savage rifle I ever bought was also a .300EG.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
That rifle is probably the epitome of Savage 99s. It is the image that sprang to mind for decades whenever anybody said "Savage 99". (Now that image has a perchbelly stock and takedown features!) Go forth and use it like it was meant to be used (but be careful and don't let it near other 99s, they tend to breed like rabbits).
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: First Savage 99 - 11/14/09
My first 99 was also an EG in .300 sav.

Mike...
Posted By: salvo Re: First Savage 99 - 11/15/09
Thanks for the info guys, I really liked the looks of this rifle. Glad I did OK on my first Savage. I'll let you know how she shoots!
© 24hourcampfire