Home
I think this one counts as Christmas also. grin

Was too nice of a shooter to pass up. It's serial number 354,5xx (1936) in 250-3000.. Bluing, checkering, bore.. all beautiful. Sling stud, d&t and a big crack behind the tang aren't so beautiful, but tolerable. The crack is going to be profesionally fixed, it's worth it. I expect the crack will still be quite visible, but the stock should be fixed so it can be hunted for the next 70 years or more. Be calling up Boses tomorrow.

Drilled & tapped with 3 holes, I'm presuming it's a Williams 1 piece. Have to call the sight guy and see if he's got one for sale.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the sad part is... even cracked on the bottom side. Pretty sure this isn't a recoil induced split, I'm guessing somebody dropped it.

[Linked Image]
What a hunting rifle that will make. Nice find.

Rod
yea that or fell with -on it .other than that nice birthday present. grin
rory I have one I think I will sell if you want it... pm me.
3 holes would be a Leupold or Redfield Jr mount as well.

I'm guessing your smart enough to not pay big bucks for that gun just cause it's a T if your just gonna replace the stock anyways ... right?
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I think this one counts as Christmas also. grin
Drilled & tapped with 3 holes, I'm presuming it's a Williams 1 piece. Have to call the sight guy and see if he's got one for sale.

It should fix up very well. If their work is just half as good as folks say it is, the crack will be almost invisable. As for the 3 hole pattern. I just gave saddlering a 1 piece vintage Redfield set-up. It was also a 3 hole pattern. 2 forward, 1 to the rear.

Nice hunting rifle Rory. Congratulations.
Joe, you type WAY faster than me. grin grin
Rory, Glad you got your birthday FIX!! grin i'm sure you'll get it all tinkered up by spring. Don
Another one finds a good home..........
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Joe, you type WAY faster than me. grin grin

Ya, my two index fingers are just smokin!
Rory
Congrats,and nice rig. I know you will put it to good use.
Enjoy.Rob at boses will do a great job.
Steve
Joe, the price was definitely right for a shooter. Are you saying a modern Leupold would fit the holes? Thought the 3 hold pattern had different spacing than the new 1 piece. Can take it into Cabela's and have that checked, I guess.
[Linked Image]
Ya your right, that sure doesn't look like a Leupold or Redfield spacing. To close to the edges of the receiver to be them. I'd throw the ball into Lightfoots court on that now, Mikes the guy to see when something like that turns up.

Thats a Remington rear sight on it.
I'm fresh outa that old Redfield mount. Sold the last one couple months back. Gettin' harder and harder to dredge up!

Sights, I got.
No words or lettering on the rear sight at all. The elevator has a 9 on the side of it. Lyman front sight.. I'm doomed to never get a T with correct sights, apparently.
Mike, am I looking for a Redfield or Williams? Or just one of them?

I have a Williams on another T, I think. Could always swap that over to verify the holes.
Nice looking shooter. I hope this is not your "last" birthday present. ;)s I am sure you will have that killing deer on your place in no time. Jim
no he won't... he CAN NOT put away the 300 EG...
Hmm.. thinking that my 14 year old carries the EG and I carry this guy. Course, then he'd probably be using that EG mojo to score big bucks while I get small does.

grin
Nice gun Rory. Too bad about the stock crack, but like you said, once it's fixed it'll be good for longer than we are around. I don't think you need a Williams mount? I'll defer to others that are more knowledgeable, but I have several on my 99's and I think all have the standard Weaver spacing on the front 2 holes of the receiver ring (see photo). I have never seen the hole drilled so far apart on the front receiver ring (almost to the outer edges). I'd like to know which mounts are set up with a hole spacing like that?

good luck. -TomT

Below is one of my Williams mounts on a non-factory tapped EG:

[Linked Image]
I'm with Mike, looks like the early Redfield mount holes. Rear sight is a Remington.
Thank you, all. At least I know what to look for now.
the holes on the receiver ring are too far apart for any other kind of mount than the Redfield.

I'm always looking for them so if I run across one I'll yell.
Thanks, Mike. Ever hear of anybody having a blank base cut to fit these hard to find bases? Just curious how much it runs.
Maybe acquire a new Redfield base and fill in a hole (or two) and re-drill & counterbore new hole(s) to match the hole pattern on your rifle?
Actually, I was thinking Weaver or Leupold (or somebody) offered a blank one piece base that could be machined to fit your rifle, and the holes drilled as needed. But now that I look, I only see 2 piece blank bases offered.

I did find this article while googling. Interesting article about custom drill & tapping, in this case a 1 piece base to a Savage 219.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/ST_scopebases_200907/
Rory,
I have a 219 in 30-30 that I had a local smith attach a one piece Weaver base to the top of the barrel and it works great. Jim
Rory
If it's a Redfield 1 piece mount i have one at home
I'll check tonight.
P.M. me our addy if I do i'll send.
Also I think Burris Made them.
Steve
Well, I'm not the only one to run across this issue apparently. Just saw this.

I say yuck... but then I think, what the heck? It's going to be covered up anyway. Still, it strikes me as just very, very wrong.

[Linked Image]
That is really sad since it was already D&T
Factory holes are 1/2" apart. That one doesn't look factory drilled.

Where'd ya find it Rory?
However the "Savage Model 99" stamp is on the side of the reciever and not on top.

What's up with that?
I think it was Lightfoot that pointed out to me that some early 1950's EG's had the Savage 99 stamped to the side, but were NOT factory d&t. I'm guessing this one was like that, and somebody d&t'd it for a Williams moount. Later, somebody added another hole for Weaver style mounts. I laid a Weaver base over the holes on my 99T and the spacing looked exactly like the one in the picture.

Lightfoot, I can PM you a link to it tonight.
I forgot: "Never say never"
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Thank you, all. At least I know what to look for now.

Rory
Send Me Your Addy on the P.M. so I can Send Out
Consider it a Pay-it -Forward.
Happy Birth day.
Steve
Rory
Your Stuff Is Gone. Left Today.
Later
steve
Steve, you are entirely too generous. Thank you!

And thanks also to the other person who offered. Great folks here.
© 24hourcampfire