Home
Posted By: ring3 Lyman Tang Sights - 01/04/10
I have 2 of these which are identical. Could someone please clarify for me what type they are? Both are marked "SA" on the bottom and came off of Savage 99's. I have had them identified as 29 1/2 and 30 1/2 and cannot find anything definitive on the internet. What are the differences between the two types?
Posted By: ring3 Re: Lyman Tang Sights - 01/04/10
Sorry, forgot the pics. Can't seem to get the focus any better. Hope they are clear enough for an ID.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Lyman Tang Sights - 01/04/10
Pics don't work.

A 29 1/2 and 30 1/2 are basically the same, they are both windage adjustable but one will have a flip down aperture and the other will be threaded for a screw in aperture.

Some guy on Ebay right now has one listed incorrectly as a 30 1/2 cause thats whats stamped on the bottom but it's been made into a 29 1/2 cause the stem was swapped out to a flip down peep.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Lyman Tang Sights - 01/05/10
Hope these work. Seems many of my posted pics suddenly went away. Thanks for the response Mad Dog. Neither of mine have a flip down aperture. Both are stamped "SA" on the bottom, nothing else and the aperture's are threaded. I guess I can assume they are 30 1/2's unless the stems have also been swapped. Which are more common? The "Lyman" stamping on both is light, is this typical? Blue on both show wear and look original.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Lyman Tang Sights - 01/05/10
Ya, those are both 30 1/2's if their threaded. Doubt they've been swapped.

Don't get to excited on the price of the one on Fleabay, it ain't gonna sell at that price.

Believe it or not I see more of the 30 1/2's than I do of the 29's. Not sure why or if one was more mass produced than the other, just an observation.

Nice sights.
Posted By: 99trix Re: Lyman Tang Sights - 01/05/10
I have only ever seen one 29, but a few 29 1/2 wink

I could post pictures if you like laugh

Blair
© 24hourcampfire