Home
I have a Savage .284 Winchester I received from my uncle a few years back. It is a left handed rifle and the serial number is 117***. I don't know much else about it but was told it may be a model 99 made in 1911. Could anyone tell me more about it and give me an est. of its value? It is in great shape.
The .284 Win first came on the scene in 1963. A savage 99 is a lever action rifle. What make yours a left handed version??
It is a bolt action and the bolt is on the left hand side the of the rifle. The butt also is set up for a left handed shooter. I have tried to post pictures but have not been able to.
well its definitley not a 99 then. Also like stated earlier the .284 Winchester was only invented in 1963 so it would have had to be rechambered and rebarreled if its as old as you say.
Presuming it's a Savage 110, and if you wait for Mad Dog he can probably give you a date for that serial number.

Didn't even know those bolt actions were sold in 284.. very nice. It does have a Savage address on the barrel, right?
It was made in 1967 and it's either a model 110ML or it's someone that bought the receiver and had some work done to it. Reason being is that they never offered that gun in 284. They did offer it in 264 that year, sure your reading it right?

Does it have a cheek piece on the left hand side of the stock as well? The 110PL had a roll over cheek piece but it would have a rosewood gripcap and rosewood foreend tip as well, does it have that?
It's a Savage Arms, Model 110 L-D, 284 Win.
The savage address is on it as well.
I'm thinking it came out of the custom shop then cause the catalogs aren't showing anything in 284 that year.

You didn't mention if it had the rosewood caps?
I just sent a couple of pictures. Thanks for your help.
Got them.

It's a 110 alright but just the action.

See where it's engraved "Flaigs" over top of the 284 stamp. Thats the guy that built the rifle. He rechambered it to 284 as it still has it's Westfield barrel address and restocked it as well.

It was sent to Flaig's Custom Gunshop from Millvale, PA. Apparently he had a thriving business from the 60's to the 90's. Did mostly European guns but I guess he did some U.S. guns as well.

Thank you for all your help. Do you have any idea on the value of this gun?
Unsure on value of a custom gun. If I were to want it, I'd offer you $500 if I was a southpaw.

It's still a real nice gun with condition. Make a sweet deer or moose killer.
© 24hourcampfire