Home
This just arrived in the mail yesterday. It's an old Marble Arms cartridge adapter. Allows you to shoot standard 22 long rifle ammo in a 22 Hi Power. Pretty neat little gadget, blued steel, nicely made. Haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but have plinked in the backyard with some 22 CB longs, and it's accurate enough to hit a pop can at 25 paces. Just the thing for potting a raccoon in a box trap, or a grouse from the deer blind. Marble's made a lot of cool stuff back in the old days.

Rod
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now that has a very high Cool Factor. wink

BP...
Been looking for one of those, myself, have not seen one in awhile, do ya know where theres another one? same cal!
John
John

PM sent.

rod
Niiice!
Have you noticed the number of Marbles knives and an axe in the photos that are in Gary's book?
Remembering the 99 is one very neat collection.
Thanks Gary
Originally Posted by saddlering
Been looking for one of those, myself, have not seen one in awhile, do ya know where theres another one? same cal!
John

PM sent
There is a company in Alaska that makes a newer version that will work for you. He advertises in the Backwoodsman magazine.
I can get the info for you tomorrow.
Have one of those myself. pretty neat gadget. also have one to shoot 32 acp round in my 30-06, but not Marbles brand.
John
I got one.
Steve
Where can I get one?
I have often wondered about the acurracy of these due to the bullet diameter being smaller in a 22 rimfire - what's the actual bore size for the 22 HP?

There was one of these 22 adapters listed on AuctionArms for well over a year at $50.00, I see it's gone now - it was listed before one was listed and sold on GunBroker for more - it was sold by a friend of mine who found it in a box of odd's & end's at Tulsa.
I have one made by winchester for the 303 savage,nickel plated and it shoots 32 colt ammo. its patented around 1906 if i remember correctly. Don
Here is a list of all the Marble's adapters that I have put together from various sources.
BillR

Marble�s Auxilary Cartridges

Source Stoeger Catalogues #41 & 48

# 150 30 Rem/32 Short Colt
# 151 30-30/32 Short Colt
# 152 25-35/25 Colt Automatic
# 153 303 Savage/ 32 S&W Smokeless
# 154 303 Savage/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 155 30-40/32 S&W Smokeless
# 157 30-40/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 158 32 W.S./32 Colt Automatic
# 159A 30 Govt. Rimless �03/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 159 30 Govt. Rimless �03 and �06/32 Colt Automatic
# 161 22 Savage High Power/ 22 L.R. Smokeless
# 162 30 Govt. Rimless �03 and �06/32 S&W
# 163 25 Remington/ 25 Colt Automatic
# 164 32 Remington/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 165 303 British/ 32 S&W
# 166 303 British/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 167 35 Remington/ 380 Colt Automatic
# 168 35 Winchester Model 95/ 380 Colt Automatic
# 169A 8MM/ 32 S&W Automatic
# 169 8 MM/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 170 250-3000 Savage/25 Colt Automatic
# 171 250-3000 Savage/25 Short Stevens Rimfire
# 172 300 Savage/ 32 Colt Automatic
# 173 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 03/ 25 Colt
Automatic
# 174 220 Swift/ 22 Long Rifle

Originally Posted by Loggah
I have one made by winchester for the 303 savage,nickel plated and it shoots 32 colt ammo. its patented around 1906 if i remember correctly. Don

Don, I found a couple axillary cartridge patents from 1905 -
Brayton cartridge 1
Brayton cartridge 2

I have wondered if these are the patent most are based off of; I found them while looking for info on the Brayton Tubless Scope that was in the 1905 Savage catalogs - Brayton Tubless Scope

The hole in the side of this adapter has been added for some reason, maybe to remove stuck case?
BillR
Nope, the hole wasn't added. It came from the factory that way. I've seen the early print ads for the 22HP adapter, and it shows the hole.

Rod
As Phil99 stated,hole is factory . Same as mine
Operation of 22 HP adapter must be quite different. The 4 adapters that I have (none are 22 HP to 22) all hold the smaller cartridge by side pressure, none have a hole drilled into the side of the adapter. I assume then the 22 bullet slides into this adapter and then firing pin must slide in after pushing the 22 RF to the end.
Sorry for my error, does this adapter have a number as I don't have it on my list.
Does anyone have a #174 220 swift to 22 RF? Wonder if it operates on the same principle and also has the hole drilled in the side.
BillR
Bill--

Here's an old Marbles ad from around 1914, showing the design of the adapter.
[Linked Image]

Bill--

The number on mine is 161. Thanks for the chart you provided. I run across these things once in while and I'm never sure what caliber they go to.

Rod
Very cool!!! I was a huge collector of all things Marble's till this sight runied me, sold most of my knives and stuff to build rifles. I have seen only 1 of these before, rare is an understatement.

Please let us know how it works.
Originally Posted by BillR
Does anyone have a #174 220 swift to 22 RF? Wonder if it operates on the same principle and also has the hole drilled in the side.
BillR

I would think that it would have to, the 22 LR case is the same diameter as the bullet and has to have a sleave around it to fit the neck area of the chamber. The 220 Swift is listed with a larger neck diameter (.260) than the 22 Savage (.252) Looking at the list I would have to think that #150 and #151 may also have to be like this because the 32 Short Colt has a heeled bullet with the case the same outside diameter. Both the .30 Remington amd the 30 WCF list a .328 neck diameter and the 32 Colt case is listed at .318 - which might be close enough. I see all the other 32 adapters use 32 Colt Automatic or 32 S&W which have larger diameter cases - bigger than the neck size of the 30 WCF and 30 Rem.
as to .22hp bore dia., a while ago i tried to find out that very thing and it's like it's a nat'l. secret. i finely found one source that listed it at .221. if this is incorrect, i'd like to here about it.
dave.
Howdy - I have a No. 161 Marbles adapter, the hole in the side is just to pull the extended firing pin out since it has a little spring device on the side of it to hold it snug in the cartridge. Good luck finding that little bugger if it falls out in the grass! Mine still has the little 22 steel plug in it that you use to keep it stored with so the end doesn't get smooshed. I was thinking of making one out of a used brass cartridge and then machining a new extended firing pin. Do any of you know of any reason why that would be a problem? Just concerned about pressure, I certainly don't care about ruining the brass cartridge but I don't want to damage my 99.
dkgenned1, 22hp bore diameter was .227 - slightly larger than the standard .224, though a lot of reports say that standard .224 bullets work well in most 22hp's.
[Linked Image]This is a 220 Swift adaptor.
# 170 250-3000 Savage/25 Colt Automatic

This one would be neat to have.
I have the 22HP adapter and have seen the 303 a few times but have never seen the 250 adapter... that would be pretty cool to have...
Winchester branded some called Supplemental Chambers, I had a whole box of them and was quite suprised what they brought on ebay.
I had one for a 303 and shot it, witha src, the only 303 I've ever had, single shot, a little boring,
Originally Posted by lauren
the only 303 I've ever had, single shot, a little boring,

Ya aint got no imagination boy...
Well, I tried it, the Rugers shoot handy 10 to a clip
Fifty if you've got the right magazine. grin
Here's a picture of the Winchester adapter for the .303 Savage, on the left. The other three are Marble's adapters in various chamberings. The Winchester adapters were chrome plated and pretty nicely made.

Rod

[Linked Image]
Rod
Nice Set
I Have One Like That in Yor Hand on the Left.
Steve
Don't know if anybody here will be interested, but I just listed a Marble's #174 adapter (for shooting 22 long rifle ammo in a .220 Swift) on eBay.

Rod
Dad purchased a new Marbles adapter 22/220 swift in the early 50's. I shot lots of sparrows--very accurate. Rifle stayed out in the corn crib so I could shoot sparrows off barn and then load up .220 swift for stray dogs or pigeons. Made a very universal toy!!
Dispatched a deer caught in a fence with a Model 20 250-3000 and an Marbles adapter. The sub sonic 25 Auto was no louder than the sound of popping corn.

Bought one from Phil, still new in the package, another was gifted to me by an old gun shop owner affectionately known as "Alfie" a member at the gun club who remembered me as a 250 nut.
My 1899H 22 HP was a lot more accurate with 22HP than 22LR at 22 yards. Probably due to the .228 bore.
© 24hourcampfire