Home
Posted By: redbaron Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 02/27/10
I mounted a Marble's tang sight on my 99EG (49-50 issue). It appears the sight aperture is much higher then the rear sight, set for 100 yds. I may have to replace the front sight with a taller one. My questions are as follows:

1) Where can you find a taller copy of the front sght,but taller?

2) Can you "bend" the sight base to lower it, and follow the contours of the stock, without misaligning the post from vertical?

Anyone, WITH EXPERIENCE ,with this particular sight, please give me any advice-info you can. Thanks.
Originally Posted by redbaron
I mounted a Marble's tang sight on my 99EG (49-50 issue). It appears the sight aperture is much higher then the rear sight, set for 100 yds. I may have to replace the front sight with a taller one. My questions are as follows:

1) Where can you find a taller copy of the front sght,but taller?

2) Can you "bend" the sight base to lower it, and follow the contours of the stock, without misaligning the post from vertical?

Anyone, WITH EXPERIENCE ,with this particular sight, please give me any advice-info you can. Thanks.

Shoot it FIRST, then decide. Look on eBay and gunbroker.
Posted By: mw406 Re: Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 02/27/10
redbaron, are you using one of the older Marbles sights or a new one?
The tang sight is one of the new ones. Not one of the "improved" models, with the removable posts.
Posted By: mw406 Re: Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 02/28/10
I tried one of those on a EG and I had to bend it down as well. Make sure that you bend it over something round so that it doesn't buckle in one spot but bends in an arc.
MW406..after you mounted it on your EG,did it work to your satisfaction? Was the post still 90 degr verticai from the rifle, and not "cocked"? Was the base following the contour of the stock? Did you replace the front sight?
Posted By: mw406 Re: Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 03/01/10
I was able to keep it straight and could use the original front sight. It was tough getting the base to follow the contour of the stock but I think I got it pretty close. I Actually ended up selling it and now use an old Lyman tang sight that fits much better. I have about a dozen different Lyman and Marbles tang sights that I use on my Savage 99 and 1899s. I prefer the Lyman's with a screw in aperture. I use peep sights pretty much exclusively for all my hunting.

[Linked Image]
That's an impressive antelope for a tang sight! Very impressive!

I got a new Marbles tang sight with a 1920's 99C I bought. Shot fine, but maybe it'd been adjusted by previous owner.
Originally Posted by mw406
I was able to keep it straight and could use the original front sight. It was tough getting the base to follow the contour of the stock but I think I got it pretty close. I Actually ended up selling it and now use an old Lyman tang sight that fits much better. I have about a dozen different Lyman and Marbles tang sights that I use on my Savage 99 and 1899s. I prefer the Lyman's with a screw in aperture. I use peep sights pretty much exclusively for all my hunting.

[Linked Image]

nice lope ..what caliber ,how many yards,,,
Posted By: mw406 Re: Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 03/02/10
Thanks guys, this antelope was taken at about 150 yards with a 1917 vintage .250-3000. I'm pretty comfortable with these sights out past 200 yards if it's a good, clear shot and I have a steady hold. I really don't think you give up much using a peep sight. Low light reduces the effective range but once you get familiar with them, they're pretty easy to hit with. One other limitation to peep sights is you may have to take a little time to check out your intended target with binoculars before pulling the trigger, especially if it's a long shot. With a scope, you can check an animals headgear for example, then go right to the shot without ever taking the rifle off your shoulder.
mw406.. thanks for your info. Very nice pronghorn and 99. I have a Willimas FP sight on my 250-3000 99EG... wanted something different on my 300 99EG.
I just bought a Lyman tang sight for mine, I'll be interested in seeing how it improves the shootability. One question on the Williams FP, will it fit the tang holes on the older rifles or is it designed to fit the rear scope mount holes on ones drilled and tapped? When I looked over Williams' web site, it seems like what they had attached via the scope mount holes (mine isn't drilled and tapped)unless I missed it somewhere. The old Lyman has no adjustment for windage, I'd like something that does.
Williams FP is factory d&t rifles and uses the rear scope mount holes, doesn't fit the tang.
What about the older Redfields? I can't tell from the pictures of it whether it would fit the tang (it looks like it could) or the scope mount holes.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 03/02/10
older Redfields=tang holes
Ask about either Williams or Redfield before you buy one.

Both made sights that fit the tang holes, both made sights that fit the factory holes drilled for the rear scope mount base.
I have a Williams FP that fits the tang holes. I'd sell it for what I have in it....$60. A little damage to one of the adjustment screws and one of the tang screws is buggered up, but can be hidden under the sight.

Brian

Here's a redfield tang sight mounted on a 99 EG........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's the deal on fitting that Redfield tang site. I've seen pictures where the wood had to be shaved to fit it, or so it seemed, but I've not seen one up close, and have hesitated to buy one for that reason. confused
Posted By: aitch Re: Marble's tang sight on M99EG - 03/03/10
Brian, does your Williams FP resemble this Redfield or is it more like the Lyman or Marbles?
Yes, the Williams is a similar style, but they don't look the same.

Brian
John, Ive wondered the same about the redfields. I have one that would mount with no wood removal needed.

I pulled a Redfield off one EG and found the wood had been inleted for the long verticle adjustment screw (the screw could have been trimed instead).

On yet another EG I found that a portion of the stock was cut away just to fit the base of the sight onto the gun.

Maybe Redfield changed their base dimensions over the years of production.
As we spoke about it at the Fest, I've often wondered if it was because Redfields specs varied or as Rory has queried, if Savage's dimensions varied. It seems that the Lymans always fitted properly so perhaps their specs were more generous. Maybe Rick should call for a survey to see if only Redfields needed inletting from time to time or if Lyman sights needed inletting too.
Question for you fellas on tang sights as I have one coming for my 99 now and have never used one before. Will it require me to replace the front sight blade with a taller or shorter one? Also, will I have to remove the open rear sight that's on the rifle (sorry if that's a dumb question, but looking at how a tang rides so tall I wonder)?

I have used Lyman and Williams reciever sights on other guns and like them, I shoot much, much better with a peep than with open sights. I am going to be on the lookout for a Redfield similar to the one pictured here as I think I would prefer something like that to a tang sight, but I'm gonna try the tang sight first.
Usually either have a flip down rear sight, or people take the elevator out of the sight, then lose it, then wish they hadn't. Trick on one of the posts was to oil the elevator lightly, wrap it and put it in the hole in the buttstock where the main screw hole is under the buttcap. On my two 99's with lyman peeps, the rear sight and the peep cowitness, meaning that the rear sight doesn't obscure the tip of the front, but obscures the bottom of it and more or less makes the peep unnecessary or difficult to use. Elevator removed and stored as above on one, the other came with Lyman #6 type flip down rear. John
Any portion of the rear sight that remains visible through a peep sight is a hindrance pure and simple. Mount the tang sight, knock out the rear sight and replace with a slot blank, or a fold down rear sight. Yes, oft times a taller front sight is needed, some times not. One way to find out.
Originally Posted by johnsavage
Usually either have a flip down rear sight, or people take the elevator out of the sight, then lose it, then wish they hadn't. Trick on one of the posts was to oil the elevator lightly, wrap it and put it in the hole in the buttstock where the main screw hole is under the buttcap. On my two 99's with lyman peeps, the rear sight and the peep cowitness, meaning that the rear sight doesn't obscure the tip of the front, but obscures the bottom of it and more or less makes the peep unnecessary or difficult to use. Elevator removed and stored as above on one, the other came with Lyman #6 type flip down rear. John

That's what I've done in the past on Marlin and Winchester lever guns, and it's what I figured I'd do with this one. I like the idea of putting the original rear sight in the stock, I wonder if I could fit the whole sight inside. I really hope the original front sight blade will work, I'd prefer to leave it alone as much as I can.
© 24hourcampfire