Home
Does anyone know of a way other than a Stith mount, to mount a scope on an EG without D&T? IE, any other types of mounts out there and perhaps in production now?

Also, it would seem that Stith mounts (when you find them) require specific older Weaver scopes--is this correct?

If so, which Weaver models will fit a Stith?

Thanks in advance

#1 No
#2 No
#3 Yes
#4 Depends on the Stith, there are many types.

Brian
Have you tried duct tape? grin
The Miller Kodiak and Stith are the only 2 "no-drill" mounts that I can think of.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Have you tried duct tape? grin

I Did,I seem to remember one posted a year or so back,looked classy!

George
The New Camo tape looks really good.
Don't forget the Boone scopes..
Also You Can Use the BOONE-Saturn Scopes. They Work good but look funky on a rifle.
Steve
This is a homemade mount that I plan to build more of now that I'm retired. I had extensions welded on a Redfield 1 piece and then formed it to the tang to use the factory tang holes in the rear and fabricated a dovetail block for the front. Same principle as the Stith but it is more rigid and you can put any scope on it. I have one almost finished except for the bluing.

[Linked Image]
I saw scope mount Brazed onto a inland M1 carbine once!! crazy crazy but i don't recommend it. Don
Are you thinking that mount is brazed to that lever gun??

Not.
Mike,Absolutely not,just making a comment about what i saw once on a carbine. Don
wasn't there something called a "dream" mount that was a no drill?
as for scopes that will fit a stith... there are bunch... stith made their own scopes, lots of weavers, Lyman alaskan, Nocche (or something like that)... then what was the one out of TX???? Norma Ford or something like that... and even some old straight tubed Leupolds...
Lightfoot, Looks like you have a dandy of a concept and design there. I monitored the progress occasionally on the thread where the fellow had some milled trigger guards made up for the CZ 452 and sold them to 24Hr members.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...81523/all/CZ452_milled_trigger_guard_pro
They ended up at $140 polished and blued and shipped. A really good job on them too. Dunno if the fellow made any money on them - hope he did.

I would bet you could sell a bunch of your mounts, just here on the Savage forum. Keep strok'n on that.
Lightfoot:

That's a clever mount you've come up with. Should work great.

Elwood
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
This is a homemade mount that I plan to build more of now that I'm retired. I had extensions welded on a Redfield 1 piece and then formed it to the tang to use the factory tang holes in the rear and fabricated a dovetail block for the front. Same principle as the Stith but it is more rigid and you can put any scope on it. I have one almost finished except for the bluing.

[Linked Image]

Mike Mount works Super,I have One from him. It does do the job very well.
Steve
Scope not the Utica guns,
Wow--didn't expect so many responses so soon;

Skidrow--would've tried the duct tape, but my brother Bubba, who's "wicked smaahht" as we say here in NH said duct tape doesn't hold up well to Hoppe's #9! eek

Lightfoot--should've known you'd have an idea (you helped me out with some parts for my last 99)--hope you do something with it--make a few soon and I'd buy one instead of doing something similar on my own. I'm OK with silver solder but am no welder for sure.
Ya really should try the duct tape. If you can find a chunk of tree branch about 1" in diameter and put that between the scope and receiver for a spacer then you won't have to break off the sights so as not to see them in the scope. grin

OTOH, Lightfoot's mounts do work great.
A techno-Bubba step beyond duct tape would be to buy a set of Weaver mounts. Rough up the bottoms, degrease the receiver top, determine the correct positions, mask and JB Weld those bad boys to the receiver. Presto! Non-D&T mounts. Removal is quick and easy by separately heating the mounts and they will pop off with no harm to the rifle.

"Have I tried it, you ask?" Well no. I'm waiting on a Mike Mount unit.
I still have a 308f with no scope, but, my .358 may get a scope some day, maybe not. No scoping some ole 30-30, and 30-30 is the only one I'd shoot, maybe a 250 if it came with shells.
Talk to me about a Mike Mount? Any contact info on it, and a photo maybe? Sounds like they are not in production yet.

Googled Mike Mount and didn't find anything. Sounds like options are available, though I'm not in a huge rush just yet.

Just getting ideas for different designs, what works and what is out there.
Thanks!
SteveS, Lightfoot ( Mike ) makes the mount shown on page 1 of this thread. [Linked Image] Try sending him a PM.
Now listen,,,,,,,,,,,I know you're in sales. Where I work, sales is a pain because they sell an idea before it's even born and they we have to build it on a whim to meet the customer's demand. Salesman have a habit of paying attention to the wrong things. You asked a picture for the "Mile mount". Check post # 8 and tell me what you see!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin smile wink wink grin smile
Originally Posted by like2shoot
SteveS, Lightfoot ( Mike ) makes the mount shown on page 1 of this thread. [Linked Image] Try sending him a PM.

You made it WAY too easy for him!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin smile smile grin
Well, he is from NH. grin
First off, didn't remember that Lightfoot is Mike--been off this site for a while you know! grin

Second, from Mike/Lightfoot's first response, I didn't realize he was close to pulling the trigger on the project, or maybe taking orders already?

Mike, if you are getting close to it, let us know or drop me a pm on your progress?

LBK--how the devil did you remember I am in sales (from last year?) Guilty as charged!
Guess I didn't have enough coffee this am for sure

Thanks all
You see, that's the difference between a toolmaker and a salesman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toolamkers look for the easy way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just checked your profile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago,,,,,,,,,,,,let alone last YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin Just DON'T drill any holes................................
Ah, forgot about profile--guess I'm getting like you (forgetful) shocked?

Thought the sales part might have been from last yr when you were interested in my other 99.

I wound up trading it at Alstead Gun Shop for a Hamden High Standard Trophy that I couldn't resist. But, got the 99 fever again grin as you can see!

A bunch of us are!! were a bit north of taxachussets and a hell of a lot more to the right !!!! Don
Well, gonna be off this post for a while--went to buy the gun in Taxachusetts and it was gone--bummer (I'd use stronger words but the forum administrator would censor me!)
Thought it's still be there too as it was only three days and kind of hidden in the back are of the shop--plus Mass. is big on shotguns only as it is so build up.

Must'a been another Savage collector!

I'll be lurking around and still looking for another

Thanks for the tips guys
© 24hourcampfire