Home
Posted By: BertW 99C restoration started - 04/24/11
I have already begun refinishing the wood. While that was drying, I started on the metal work. As you can see I have a ways to go. I won't be able to get to the bottom of the deep barrel cuts, but the grinder scuffs around them are coming out nicely. I think I should be able to do well on the receiver marks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: 99C restoration started - 04/25/11
If your going to get most of the marks out you might as well get them all out...........otherwise why bother?......unless they are hidden by the forearm of course.
Posted By: BertW Re: 99C restoration started - 04/26/11
The deepest cuts are covered by the forearm. I got the bastard file out yesterday and cleaned up most of them very well. When I get them smoother I'll post more pics.
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: 99C restoration started - 04/26/11
You won't regret cleaning them up. Looking forward to your progress.

Regards
This is after the initial filing with the bastard file. It's all beginning to smooth out. I worked on the big gouges some, but as I stated before, they will be out of sight.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gulo Re: 99C restoration started - 05/01/11
Nice job on the receiver. Some guys like the "out of the box" collector guns, but i find the restorations more interesting, even if it is just an oiling/staining bluing and shining up.

The before shots make a guy wonder how some people treat their guns to get them so banged up. You'd really have to work at abuse like that.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99C restoration started - 05/01/11
Nice! Keep us posted.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 99C restoration started - 05/01/11
Nice work!

As one who just hasn't got those skills, I appreciate those who can perform great restorative work with hand tools. smile

Keep us posted.
Very nice and clean file work:) I'll be watching for more photos?
Posted By: 1899sav Re: 99C restoration started - 05/01/11
Bert
Great Job. Nice to See Stuff Brought Back to Life.
Steve
Posted By: hoover99 Re: 99C restoration started - 05/01/11
Bert, I need your address, I'm sending you my 30-30 right away! Nice work, I don't have the confidence to start with a file, I'll stick with 180 grit and a block, I'll post photos of my progress in about a year!!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99C restoration started - 05/02/11
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Bert
Great Job. Nice to See Stuff Brought Back to Life.
Steve

From the master...
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: 99C restoration started - 05/02/11
looking good so far!!! Keeping the lines sharp and holes flush and not rounded off... looks great!
Bert-

What a great file job!!Professional beyond most people's belief.I'm thinkin you may have bested me in my prime.Will send a PM with a couple of thoughts

I can just see the filings on your workbench-brings back memories-I can tell by looking at your rifle that your heart is in your work!
John

I'd like to share THOSE couple thoughts:)) I keep going back to that photo of that well holster buffed handgun, with that deep, deep lustre, Mr. Gunne Smythe hung on here. It's the same intense labor and love at finishing seen in the best of everything...

Yep, those would be a couple thoughts well worth hearing:)
Posted By: BertW Re: 99C restoration started - 05/03/11
Thanks Gents for the compliments! I am taking my time. If that file slides off your work at an angle it will hurt your feelings.
I worked on a rear sight filler tonight, no pics yet.
Keep sharing, Bert, please?
Posted By: BertW Re: 99C restoration started - 05/04/11
I got a piece of 3/8 dovetail stock and worked on the rear sight dovetail filler tonight.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: 99C restoration started - 05/04/11
beautiful... all blued up and that one will be hard to see!!
All GOOD, Bert!!! Maybe I oughta post up a pic sometime of my file drawer(s) (s) ?

Vistors here get tired of me asking them, if I've ever told them how much I love my files.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: 99C restoration started - 05/04/11
Originally Posted by BertW
Thanks Gents for the compliments! I am taking my time. If that file slides off your work at an angle it will hurt your feelings.
I worked on a rear sight filler tonight, no pics yet.

Bert
When I started My Trade-Mold-Making-tool & Die,,we had to learn how to Square Up Blocks Of Steel with a File and Be within .002-.005 Square all Side's, i understand the pain your going through,especially the hands. wink But i really and truly appreciate the memory's and i do know your gratification on the out come. Your work is 1st rate.
Looking forward to more.
Steve
Posted By: BertW Re: 99C restoration started - 05/15/11
Update: I'm tired of polishing this thing. I had to put the files down and start with wet sanding. I don't have a buffer, I'm afraid I'd burn all of the lines off anyway. I've got it worked up to 400 grit. I took a break and made this for my son's EG. I used an old rear sight. If you examine it to close you can tell the factory side from mine.
[Linked Image]
I don't know what you do/did for real work, but your metal working skills are phenominal!!! Job being well done! smile smile
I like your dovetail filler! My brother-in-law is going to try to do the same thing for my Russian-Contract Winchester Model 1895.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 99C restoration started - 05/21/11
I make that type of dovetail filler for all my receiver sighted rifles. Trace the outline of the factory end on a piece of paper, scribe outline on the other end and grind to the scribe line. Quick easy and very nice looking, better than a plain dovetail filler by far.
Posted By: BertW Re: 99C restoration started - 05/23/11
I guess great minds think alike. I used masking tape and cut it to fit with a razor. I then took the masking tape and transferred it to the other side and scribed it. I then cut it with a dremel, some hand filing, and cold bluing compound, Waalaa!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99C restoration started - 05/23/11
Did you cut this from the original rear sight?
Posted By: BertW Re: 99C restoration started - 05/23/11
It was an original sight, but not from a Savage 99. It was a Rifle-less sight from the parts box.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99C restoration started - 05/23/11
OK, cutting up an original Savage sight would make a pretty expensive filler in my book.
© 24hourcampfire