Home
i am a relatively new 99 collector and would appreciate some info if possible. i have recently acquired a 1899? in 250-3000 takedown. the serial number is 202,634 and butt plate forend and buttstock and action all match. it has the savge 15 windgage rear sight. the closest thing i can find in murrays book to identify it is the 1899 250-3000 but i have three things that do not match. the trigger is not cross checkered, it does not say savage model 1899 on the left side of the barrel and it does not have the perch belly butt stock. the markings on the barrel for where it was manufactured and the patents match the 1899, the windgauge rear sight matches the 1899, it has the shorter 10 1/8 inch foreend with fine checkering it has the integral front sight. i have read some about transition period around 1918 and 1919, could anyone help me identify this with a value. the bluing is approximately 90% even on the receiver and the wood is approximately 85% there are no additional holes drilled and everything seems to be factory except it is missing the rear elevator for the windgage sight. help!!!
Posted By: docost99 Re: help??? - 05/06/11
Welcome to the fire.
There are 2 variations of the Model 1899 250-3000. You have the later one. Everything seems right by your description, but pictures would be a huge help. We all like to look at pictures.
Posted By: 99guy Re: help??? - 05/06/11
Boy....you got guts asking what your gun is worth with your first post.

$500- $2500, depending on who you talk too.

Here we go again:

[Linked Image]
Oh:

Forgot to say: Welcome to the fire!
Posted By: 303savage Re: help??? - 05/06/11
99guy, i was just wondering if i got taken to the cleaners for $800 shipped to my house. i have been collecting rifles along time and the more i look at this i think it may have been reblued at one time. i will try to get pics up in a little while. 1 thing i did not put in my post is there is a m imprinted in front of the lever on the reciever. does that meen anything?
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: help??? - 05/06/11
Bring the pictures.
I'll tell ya if ya got rolled....
Originally Posted by 303savage
99guy, i was just wondering if i got taken to the cleaners for $800 shipped to my house. i have been collecting rifles along time and the more i look at this i think it may have been reblued at one time. i will try to get pics up in a little while. 1 thing i did not put in my post is there is a m imprinted in front of the lever on the reciever. does that meen anything?

Well, IMO you certainly didn't lose your shirt at $800. The "a m" is an inspectors mark.

And didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome in anyway.

Lately, whenever somebody new on the forum shows up and asks what their gun is worth, it turns into a 50 post thread-arguement.

It's the old adage: "Ask a 100 "experts" a question......get 100 different answers"

Just pokin' fun at that. grin

Randy
I DID NOT TAKE OFFENSE, HERE ARE SOME PICS PLEASE IF POSSIBLE IDENTIFY AND JUST TELL ME IF I GOT TAKEN TO THE CLEANERS, YOU KNOW WHAT I PAID. THERE IS STILL SOME REMAINING VARNISH AND IT SAYS H ON THE INSIDE OF THE FORE END ALONG WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER OF 202634. THANKS FOR ANY HELP [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] /s640/Image003.jpg[/img] [img:center]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcNP9Zm4sPI/AAAAAAAAAh4/4EwnIQkSZGo [img:center]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcNQBpU7ARI/AAAAAAAAAh8/Vawi78OPof8/s640/Image005.jpg[/img] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [img:center]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcNSmjjf2kI/AAAAAAAAAiU/XNw9YbBO5m4/s640/Image009.jpg[/img] [img:center]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcNSn-IZgeI/AAAAAAAAAiY/_SowPE2pLuo/s640/Image010.jpg[/img]
Get some lights turned on...
The buttplate I can see. It appears original.
picture of the barrel address.
Picture of the serial number.
picture of the sides of the lever when it's open.
If I just keep peckin along here... I'll have 15K posts in no time...wheres Mad-dog to celebrate with me?!?!
IIIIII..got some kind of feelin....
...feelin inside of meeeee.
Posted By: lowprofile Re: help??? - 05/06/11
As said, ask one hundred experts. I'm the fourth to post so you have only 99 to go, I'm not in the count. The blueing looks ok so far, a few pictures of the chapped varnish with light will help. It could be to much Snake oil raised the finish?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: help??? - 05/06/11
This bluing looks original.

[Linked Image]

Might have paid a bit high, but those 250-3000's are extremely popular rifles so maybe not. Depends on who would be bidding on the rifle during an auction. Bore in good shape?
Wheres the case color on the lever? Why is the checkering so shoddy compared to the metal finish? I want more better pics.
Case color's faded, probably from being left exposed to sunlight. Checkering don't look too bad, maybe just worn down from being carried.

But, yes, better pictures taken outdoors in natural light would be very helpful. That one picture could be fooling me.
click on the link that didn't produce a picture...forearm checkering is ROUGH in that one.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: help??? - 05/06/11
Original post luster bluing...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gun in question:
[Linked Image]

hard to tell but now that I put them right by each other... it could be right... maybe had some gun oil on it recently??? One other good way to tell is: see how the gun above, the barrel bluing is a little darker/blacker than the receiver and has a little more sheen=Factory.
Definitely need better pics of the lever. Also look at how sharp the lines are on the stock above compare to below... think this one has seen some sand paper??

Also that rear sight is worth about $0.50 without the riser... they are nearly impossible to find...

My conclusion is: not original... but could be wrong... that said, you could probably get $800 out of it online... I just won't be the buyer.
I want more pictures before I cast aspesions. Regardless...it's a shooter/hunter. How many of them does a man need? One.
I told him that I'd tell him if he got took...I'm leaning towards yes.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: help??? - 05/06/11
I'd say he was on the high side but not outrageously so. It would have been better if he told us he got it for $200 less. On the other hand, Bubba never got his drill press on it so that must count for something.

The condition of the stock bothers me a lot more than the metal. Looks like the varnish is patchy and someone slathered it up with some kind of oil making it look like it has scabies. Best to leave things alone in that respect, or if (and only if) the gun has other major issues, then re-finish with varnish a l� original. If not, wax is your friend, not oil.

How many shooters does a guy need? One, none, or all- depending on where his head (or his pocketbook) is at.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
How many shooters does a guy need? One, none, or all- depending on where his head (or his pocketbook) is at.

More than 1, less than 50.

grin
Posted By: boltman Re: help??? - 05/06/11
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

More than 1, less than 50.

grin

Rory - I predict the day will come when you change the "50" in your quote above to, "100" wink
UPDATED BETTER LIGHT PICS. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [img:center]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcSB6z_XNJI/AAAAAAAAAjE/8Iu7iR6x6pQ/s640/Image017.jpg[/img] [img:center]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcSCA_WrGHI/AAAAAAAAAjI/hsAxEMtyIf0/s512/Image019.jpg[/img] [img:center]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcSCBwpANJI/AAAAAAAAAjM/IVW5MympYjw/s512/Image018.jpg[/img] [img:center]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcSCNdZrE1I/AAAAAAAAAjQ/8rawE-0Pe9Y/s640/Image021.jpg[/img] [img:center]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_G8e1d86cekY/TcSCSN5DgKI/AAAAAAAAAjU/4fg5pxzqhLY/s640/Image020.jpg[/img]
Posted By: boltman Re: help??? - 05/06/11
The lever certainly looks blued to me (it should be case colored). Also, the lettering in the caliber marking area looks like some of it has been washed out through buffing.
Posted By: 99guy Re: help??? - 05/07/11
Yep:

First thing I noticed also. It's an older blue job though and has been hunted since. Screws have been turned. Looks to maybe be some discoloration under the new blue job. Checkering is definitely worn.

Still all in all not a bad gun though. It's not broken or drilled full of holes. A desirable model in a desirable caliber. Would probably still bring 800, maybe a little more on the open market, although not from this group. wink grin
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: help??? - 05/07/11
Yes. Very reblued.
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: help??? - 05/07/11
I'd send it back. It's a platypus.
Posted By: 303savage Re: help??? - 05/07/11
thanks for everyones expertise, i thought it was reblued myself, all in all am still very happy with the purchase because i cant find a 250-3000 for under$700 around here that does not look like it was run over by a truck.
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: help??? - 05/07/11
Originally Posted by 303savage
thanks for everyones expertise, i thought it was reblued myself, all in all am still very happy with the purchase because i cant find a 250-3000 for under$700 around here that does not look like it was run over by a truck.

And therein lies the essence of a happy/satisfied buyer. laugh

© 24hourcampfire