Home
Posted By: Elk_aholic Sold! - 07/30/11
Thanks for all the info! cool
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/30/11
Take of the mounts, rings, and scope, place the tags back on; sell it LNIB.

The markets are off so don't expect the premium of yesteryear...
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/30/11
Ditto what olgrouser just said. If you want to flip it everything you did reduces potential value.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/30/11
But it's been done. Putting it back together isn't going to raise the price much on a commemorative, and if there's the slightest scratch from the scope mounts it's a worthless endeavour. I see shooters go for $650 or so, and NIB go for less than $900. Put it in the paper asking $700 or $750 and see if anybody bites.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
So...he puts it on GA for a mere $2500...
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
hahahahaha... yeah, I hope he gets it but if someone buys it they are an idiot... those things are for sale all of the time with the box...
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Some people come, receive sound advice, but it's like wasted words on deaf ears.

Reminds me of a story I heard about a kid who inherited his grandfather's collection of cased English doubles; all he wanted from his inheritance was a Harley.

Well, he walk into a shop were an old gunsmith named Eli holds court. The kid tells the old man he's got this bunch of guns from his grandfather he don't want; he just wants enough money to buy a new Harley... wink
Posted By: Elk_aholic Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Yeah thanks for the sound advice... I had the rifle up on Gunsamerica for $2500 and just got an offer for $1500 from a collector here in WA, only two times the amount you guys quoted me... had another "expert" on the GG forum quoted me "blue Book" value of $500 for the rifle. Glad I didn't listen to any of the Savage Experts Lol.Guess I should have also stated i'm a gun collector myself just not a Savage 99 fan so I'm not some noob or somebody that doesn't know firearms. Thanks for your time.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Not some noob..

Not somebody that doesn't know firearms..

Listed it on Gunsamerica for $2500.

What was that song? One of these things is not like the others.. grin

You're welcome for the free advice you got here, and glad you found a totally clueless person to milk money from.
I din't find anybody... he found me, and the ad was up for a whole 15hrs at the most. Thanks for the "free advice" I usually don't pay too much for it anyway.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
P.T.Barnum was right...
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Rory,

Once a blind pig finds a truffle you'll never be able to tell him that it was the only one in the forest.

OTOH, we've got no proof that said offer was actually made. Only the word of an angry anonymous poster with two whole posts to his credit.
Posted By: 99trix Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Originally Posted by Elk_aholic
Yeah thanks for the sound advice... I had the rifle up on Gunsamerica for $2500 and just got an offer for $1500 from a collector here in WA,

My advice it to take this offer and when receiving the money you may feel more comfortable wearing a mask!

Originally Posted by 99trix
Yeah thanks for the sound advice... I had the rifle up on Gunsamerica for $2500 and just got an offer for $1500 from a collector here in WA,

My advice it to take this offer and when receiving the money you may feel more comfortable wearing a mask!

He also has a Smith & Wesson 1911 that he said we can work into a deal if I want it.... Score 1 for me I guess. I bet I could of taken it to the local "WAC" show today and sold it for 1k easy, the scope alone is worth $400. Any Savage collector is going to nit-pick and quote blue book all the time. Somebody that is just looking for a solid/beautiful hunting rifle will realize that the scope and mounts go for over $400 together easily. It was my mistake to ask real 99/95 collectors what they thought it was worth. I wouldn't have sold the rifle for anything under $800 without the scope, adding the scope and mount in my opinion add's at least another $400 to the deal. Maybe not to a Savage collector but to somebody like me who's actually going to use it will appreciate the scope and its value.
A Weaver made in Japan on top of mounts is worth $400? I'm not a scope guy, but that one has me seriously confused.

And we could care less what blue book is, we quote prices that we see either locally or online via places like gunbroker.
Yeah he's a link to the same scope...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330524...PriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Usually Natchez has pretty reasonable prices...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE849419&=sourcegoogleps

Posted By: WapitiMac Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Wow! Elk aholelic you don't just burn bridges, you impale yourself on the stubble you leave behind...maybe a good Dale Carnegie course could be bought with all the money you are going to make from that savage 99 you're selling...
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
aholoic,

If I hadn't removed myself from the PM you sent me, I post it now to reveal the extent of your ignorance!

Fare well.
Posted By: dell Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
I haven't looked at a 1895 search on gun broker fo awhile. But last time I did, there were five or six, that you should be able to double your mony on.
Thanks for the info but after selling this one today I'm good with the Savage 99's, I'm more of a BLR type guy anyway.
Posted By: dell Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Boy your quick. Or did you have this all ready to go in the first place?
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Well you are pretty good at linking to guns and scopes that are showing high asking price.

First off, there is a big difference in price between a brand new scope in the box from the retailer and one you have opened and installed.

Second, the mounts regularly sell for under $25 with rings.

Third, the prices that you were given here were for the gun with the tag and box.

And if you really did sell it for $1500, then good for you. Thats $1100 for the gun which is at least $200 more than I have ever seen one sell for but I don't care to pay close attention these days as they do not interest me much. In my opinion (and its just that) you can buy a lot nicer 99 to hunt with than one of those ugly anniversary guns for $1100!!!

Congrats on what I can only assume is a large profit margin, it would not be the first 99 I have seen sell for an amount much higher than most collectors would ever imagine. Another member and I were just exchanging PMs on a not factory drilled and tapped EG that was selling for over $800... I would have never thought it would go over $500.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Why don't you find some auctions with actual 'sold for' prices?

You can ask anything you like. The consumer will tell you what it's worth.
Great example on that first one. It's been listed 4 times without selling at $1,195. Actually.. I think it's on it's 10th listing.

Anyway, it ain't selling.
Originally Posted by olgrouser
aholoic,

If I hadn't removed myself from the PM you sent me, I post it now to reveal the extent of your ignorance!

Fare well.

Post what? That I asked you a question about a classifieds forum? Oh Boy please don't hold back! Reveal my ignorance and try to embarrass me, your words mean nothing. You told me a rifle was worth $600 and I sold it for over twice that amount so who's ignorant?
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Great example on that first one. It's been listed 4 times without selling at $1,195. Actually.. I think it's on it's 10th listing.

Anyway, it ain't selling.

I'd hope not, did you look at the condition? It was all scratched up...
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Who cares!

Every single one of them poorly made sales gimmicks is a piece of junk anyways. If I had one I'd have it made into a lamp.
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Who cares!

Every single one of them poorly made sales gimmicks is a piece of junk anyways. If I had one I'd have it made into a lamp.

agreed! I'm glad I got rid of it! I think ALL Savge 99's and 95's are uglier than a stack of [bleep]. I'm glad its going to be out of my safe.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Who cares!

agreed! I'm glad I got rid of it! I think ALL Savge 99's and 95's are uglier than a stack of [bleep]. I'm glad its going to be out of my safe.

C'mon fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just when I'm thinking the fellas that regularly contribute here are some of the smartest on the planet,wellllllllllllllllll, some of you anyhow ( grin grin grin grin) you destroy my thoughts. CAN'T YOU SPOT A TROLL???????????????????????????????????
Who gives a [bleep] what YOU think I am... This forum blows wang anyway so feel free to ban me anytime asswipe.
I'm wondering if this guy is another of Larry Root's incarnations. What a maroon.
I've never been on this site before in my life and I really don't want to stay so please ban my IP and delete my posts or whatever you see fit. Once again thanks for the "Expert Opinions"
Posted By: billy336 Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Thanks for the info but after selling this one today I'm good with the Savage 99's, I'm more of a BLR type guy anyway.

This thread got some chuckles outta me. If this guy is into BLRs, which are the ugliest effin lever gun ever madeit just shows he has no taste or class. Do us all a favor troll_aholic, pound dirt
Originally Posted by billy336

This thread got some chuckles outta me. If this guy is into BLRs, which are the ugliest effin lever gun ever madeit just shows he has no taste or class. Do us all a favor troll_aholic, pound dirt

grin
Nobody gets banned from here, so if you're trying to see how obnoxious you can be before it happens, it won't.

You came and asked a question. We gave you an honest answer. You found a sucker who'll pay 100%+ of what we typically see NIB ones go for, plus 100%+ of what you paid to scope it.

Now that everything has come up roses for you, why hang around and be a jerk? Feel free to hang around and participate, or feel free to leave and start a BLR Collectors forum.

Lot better things to do with your time than waste it here.
By the by, John Browning had nothing to do with the BLR. It came along about 30 or 40 years after he died. If I remember correctly, it was a guy named Karl Lewis who designed it, although there is some speculation that he was channeling JMB when he did. whistle
How did I mark up the scope 100%? I bought it from Midway USA... I know i'm just a dumb [bleep] and I paid WAAAy too much for it but I thought it was a good deal... Not all of us have the "Price Hook-up" like you "experts"

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=122430
I didn't say you marked it up 100%, I said you got 100%+ of the value by your reckoning. Because once any scope leaves the store, the value goes down - just like a car or boat.

The Commemoratives aren't a fond model here, because it's called an 1895 commemorative. But, it doesn't look like an 1895, it's not chambered in 303 savage like the 1895's were, it's just a silly gun Savage put together and sold. Doesn't mean folks here don't have them, quite a few do just to fill out their collections. And they wouldn't sell theirs for $900 either, why put a hole in a collection for the going rate on GB?

But.. NIB 1895's seem to bring about $900 on the internet. It's the general price you can find if you wait a bit. Sounds like you found yourself a buyer who doesn't know about gunbroker or auction arms, those kind of buyers are nice. Just be happy and calm down.
I'm calm cool
Posted By: 99trix Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Originally Posted by 99trix
[Linked Image]

I'd break out the pop corn as well, but this kind of entertainment wants to make me upchuck.................
Posted By: oldotter Re: Savage 1895 value - 07/31/11
Who gives a [bleep] what YOU think I am... This forum blows wang anyway so feel free to ban me anytime asswipe.

Boy, when you burn your bridges, you really burn your bridges. The wealth of knowlage here is dammmm hard to beat anywhere. These fellers have forgotten than most know. It might be a good idea to put a govenor on your keybaord, or if present company doesn't suit you seek elsewhere. They didn't come to you......
Posted By: 99trix Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
The elkster is on a roll!

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/savage/125613-savage-1895-commemorative-308-a.html
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
Yep, and what's worse is in about a week we'll get some newbie posting "I just bought this really nice Model 1895 with a gold trigger and Weaver scope. Can anyone tell me anything about it? When was it made and what's it worth?"
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep, and what's worse is in about a week we'll get some newbie posting "I just bought this really nice Model 1895 with a gold trigger and Weaver scope. Can anyone tell me anything about it? When was it made and what's it worth?"

unless of course the whole story from the OP was a fabrication.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
The really sad part of this is the waste of breath and time we all have expended (myself now as well!) on this person who apparently enjoys going from blog to blog and rolling grenades in and splitting. There is a name for that...TROLL.
The other sad part is that Rick generally will NOT, if at all, ban a poster for being unacceptable in language and attitude.
frown
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
I'm a mod on two other sites, banning someone is usually just a waste of time cause they just sign up again under a different alias. Unless you I.P. ban a member it's futile to oust a troll and even then it sometimes doesn't work if they just use another i.p. address which isn't hard to do either. Also, some members have general I.P. addresses that others are using as well like at colleges or university's and you end up banning 5 other members that didn't do anything wrong. I find if you just let the windbags yip off they get bored and wander away on their own.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
[/quote]unless of course the whole story from the OP was a fabrication. [/quote]

That is my thought. OP has provided no proof. Can talk till they are blue in the face, yet no proof.
Trolling for fish is one thing...............but trolls are another.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11

They aren't good enough for tomato stakes????? whistle
Posted By: Mink Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
I'm wondering if this guy is another of Larry Root's incarnations. What a maroon.

I think you might be on to something there.
Originally Posted by diamondjim

No, at least an EG tomato stake has a purpose, the 1895 repros don't. smile
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
Originally Posted by Mink

I think you might be on to something there.

laugh Bingo! Have a nice day Larry. crazy

Posted By: Elk_aholic Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11

LOL I love that you think you're insulting me by making fun of the rifle I sold, I know it was a piece of [bleep]... that why I got rid of it you [bleep] douchbag. ALL SAVAGE LEVERS ARE JUNK! 1895'S 99'S ALL OF THEM! Only [bleep] like you old men collect garbage like this....

-Larry

Lol Who the [bleep] is Larry?
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11

LOL I love that you think you're insulting me by making fun of the rifle I sold, I know it was a piece of [bleep]... that why I got rid of it you [bleep] douchbag. ALL SAVAGE LEVERS ARE JUNK! 1895'S 99'S ALL OF THEM! Only [bleep] like you old men collect garbage like this....

-Larry

Medicate yourself,,,,,,,,,,, QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yawn

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11

-Larry

This is JUST for you. I hope it helps your condition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7soxUKX5Ls
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/01/11
ALL SAVAGE LEVERS ARE JUNK! 1895'S 99'S ALL OF THEM! Only [bleep] like you old men collect garbage like this...

Hey ASSS CLOWN...I am only 46 and I really enjoy the knowledge and sage advice I get here from these grin old [bleep]! grin
One day you too may grow old...but I doubt it! Dillweeds like you generally end up locked up and out of the way prior to old age.

RESPECT YOUR ELDERS, PUNK!
Posted By: ramrod44 Re: Savage 1895 value - 08/02/11
Yeah im 46 myself. Funny how the older i get the more i realize how dumb i am. I'd say this guys about 2yrs old. But on the plus side it is kinda fun watching people make a total hind end outta themselves!
© 24hourcampfire