was it still attached?
Posted By: texken Re: gun show find - 09/04/11
yes
Posted By: norm99 Re: gun show find - 09/04/11
Originally Posted by texken
yes

nice find grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: gun show find - 09/04/11
Now the BIG question. Did it come home with you?

Was it a checkered EG, or uncheckered? Rare find, regardless.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: gun show find - 09/04/11
Man, with your luck lately of finding nice guns, I may to move to TX and start following you around to see if it wears off.

It does seem odd though that the the G is written in pencil as you could have bought an E in 30-30 about the same time?????

Lets see some pics of the rifle!!! We always like seeing nice rifles!!!
Posted By: texken Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
I wondered about the pencil in G??? all serial no's match, the only neg is looks like someone held down a fence to climb over, two small ouchs on the under side of the forearm, bore was bright and shiny, the tangsite has the windage adjustment. 4 pics in all [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
couldn't get the 4th pic in the othe[Linked Image]r..??? is it worth $675. uncheckered...darn
Posted By: boltman Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
A first model EG in a very favorable caliber. Congratulations! Love the rear sight.
Posted By: docost99 Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
I'd say yes. The tang sight is worth $200+.
I'd say yes as well and the lack of checkering makes a difference - in the positive direction smile
Posted By: 99guy Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
Nice grab.

Doubt there is anybody that visits this site that would mind havin that one in their collection

What's next? G or maybe a K in 22HP ? wink grin
I have been lucky as we usually don't see collector examples in this area, and I am ready to move out of this heat,we now have wildfires burning all around us today, over 300 homes burned this afternoon, winds have been gusting to 40 mph, I have hose's strung out as I have woods behind the house.
just got an update, 16,000 acres have burned and will be days before they can get it contained.
Posted By: johno Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
Stay safe Tex, I know all about bush fires mate

Johno
Posted By: Calhoun Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
I do love the rifle, but I wouldn't hold my breath about the hang tag and the rifle belonging to each other. They might be original.. or might have been put together later.

If the rifle's condition was mintier, I'd say likelihood of it being original was higher.

But if you paid $675, you don't need the hang tag to be original. Rifle's worth that, especially with that tang sight.

Nice grab!
thanks Calhoun, I would have bought the EG without the tag, I do appreciate the info, I will put the tag with the other collectables. I was so suprised to find a 99 that wasn't the run of the mill .300 d/t, sling studs and buttpad added that I didn't notcie the tang sight at first. May have to take this one and see if I can find the daddy to that pig I bagged last yr.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
Originally Posted by boltman
I'd say yes as well and the lack of checkering makes a difference - in the positive direction smile

Not sure that I agree with this statement. Personal taste is one thing but 30-30 EGs that are checkered are significantly rarer than uncheckered ones... probably 3:1 or 4:1 and neither is terribly common. There have been at least 2 or 3 on GB in the last 6 months though, so they are not rare. I want one, its just that I want one that is ubber nice.

Texken, congrats again. You did fine on the price, as others have noted the tang sight is a valuable addition. If it helps, the tang sight and rear sight are both items that Savage put on 99s from the factory of this era. The tang sight was used on the 99RS. The rear sight was used on the 99K. You will never really be able to claim they are for sure factory as there really is no proof and they are not the standard but they could be...
Posted By: johnsavage Re: gun show find - 09/05/11
Originally Posted by docost99
I'd say yes. The tang sight is worth $200+.

Some of those have sold at auction recently for over $300. If anyone has one in good shape for sale at $200, PM me! John
When pricing some additional benefit of a gun having a tang sight, you must also consider that 90% of the time, said gun does not have the original barrel sight. After that, discount for the fact that you are buying both together and may not necessarily want the tang sight and the reality is that I make very little consideration for tang sights when deciding what to pay unless its a very cherry sight and/or has the original rear. Likewise, the tang sight has to be correct for the vintage. Nothing more silly in my opinion than an early 1899 with a redfield peep sight on it...

Same goes for selling... you will do better to sell a tang sight and a gun separately, especially if you have an original rear.
Drew - my thoughts on EG checkered vs. not was not factoring in caliber. I was thinking more generally that EG's are a fairly common rifle and most encountered are checkered. Non-checkered also means earlier production which for most collectors is usually preferred.
I got ya... my thoughts are like this... 303, 30-30, and 22HP are all pre-war only and I lump all pre-war EGs into a similar quality pool. But these three were not common at all and it seems at least 80% of the ones you see are non-checkered. I looked at these three checkered sort of like the checkered prewar F. Pretty darn rare. The exception to this seems to be if you count the "salesman sample" guns as there are surprisingly quite a few out there in 303 and all have some checkering.
Posted By: BertW Re: gun show find - 09/06/11
Nice rifle Tex! Let us know how it shoots. Good Luck avoiding the fires!
Posted By: texken Re: gun show find - 09/06/11
Originally Posted by BertW
Nice rifle Tex! Let us know how it shoots. Good Luck avoiding the fires!
it was scary last night, had fires on three sides of us, we are still here. thanks for the thought
© 24hourcampfire