Home
Posted By: kurtvn .22 Sav H.P. rebarrel success - 09/13/11
I thought some of you fellow enthusiasts might be interested in a Sav 99 project of mine. Two years ago I picked up a well used (some would say abused) Sav 99H takedown in .22 H.P. at a pawnshop.

I tried every trick in the book to get it to shoot better than minute of pie plate at 50 yds without success. I couldn't reload a case more than once without it separating.
After conferring with a knowledgeable Sav 99 gunsmith, I decided to keep the original barrel, but to have a new .22 H.P. barrel fitted.

I found 2 sources for .228 barrels:
1. Pacnor (http://www.pac-nor.com/barrels/)
2. Lothar Walther ( http://www.lothar-walther.de/159.php).
I went with Pacnor and had them duplicate the contour on the original barrel; i ordered the "Super-Match Grade" barrel in Chrome Moly.
Got it back from the gunsmith this week, and it now shoots the lights out. 3 shots @100 yds nearly a cloverleaf with handloads and the 70gr Hornaday. And there is zero case stretching.

I also found that Lothar Walther also makes cartridge adapters for the .22 H.P. They, of course refer to it as the 5.6x52R, but the adapters come in .22lr, .22 mag, and .22 hornet. ( http://www.lothar-walther.de/211.php ). I want 1 of each!
thanks for the info kurt
Kurt,

What twist did you go with?

did you have Pacnor do the fit and chambering also or did your smith do that? Is it still a take-down or is it now a solid frame?

Sounds like a fun project.
I went with the 1:10 twist. I had my 'smith do the fitting, and it's still a takedown.
Originally Posted by kurtvn
I went with the 1:10 twist. I had my 'smith do the fitting, and it's still a takedown.

Fantastic. Long as you're happy, nothing matters. smile wink whistle
Thats good, a nice little hunting rifle. Got one the same here but my thoughts have been running to the 219 zipper

Johno
Originally Posted by kurtvn

Great choice! I've been thinking of doing something similar.
Interesting...who/where is the smith? If he is a good 99 man we will post his name if the need comes up on the Forum.
Impressive. Though, I have to ask.. was the new barrel about the cost of another 99 in 22HP? wink

Do they give discounts if ordering in bulk?
Rory, I organized a group buy here from pac nor, I think 12 or more barrels resulted in a 20% discount. I'm huge fan of the company, quality product, great service

Johno
What does one of the 22 adapters cost???
Originally Posted by saddlering
What does one of the 22 adapters cost???

Z5
I phoned Lothar Walther USA to ask about the cartridge adapter cost and was informed that because of a BATF ruling they are NOT allowed to be imported anymore. Go figure!
Not allowed to import single fire cartridge adapters?

WTF?
Can they go to Canada?
Anybody going to Germany in the near future?
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Anybody going to Germany in the near future?

I'll have My Cousin to send me 4 of them from Germany.
I would be interested in a .22 Mag for the .22HP. I have several Marble's in .22LR already.

I hope "Z5" is to costly.

Rick
25 euro's approx 33.00-35.00 bucks,,pending which way the green back swings or Euro.

I'll send an e-mail to my cousin and ask what,when.
steve
I was thinking a 22 Hornet would be nice.
Kurt,

What was your final cost breakdown for the project?
Originally Posted by Rick99
Interesting...who/where is the smith? If he is a good 99 man we will post his name if the need comes up on the Forum.

He's pretty good with 99's; seems to be all he works on
His name is
Doug Wells
Lock, Stock & Barrel
PO Box 460304
Huson, MT 59846
406-626-4152
Seems to me any big time tool and die maker could make any cartridge adapters!!!! pretty sure i could make one ! grin Don
I got a 22 hornet chamber insert for a stevens 410 pistol from a guy out of Alaska. He did a great job. He specializes in shotgun inserts but I bet he could build them. I'll find his info and post it.
kurtvn
Please Post Some Pics of the rifle with New Barrel.
Steve
I've had Mule Deer recommend him to me. Seems the recommendation was valid. wink I hope to deal with him in the near future.
Would are your plans George, a re barrel or some work that needs doing?

Johno
I'd like to do a 22HP, but I'd have a 224 barrel screwed on.
I'm looking to do a 25-35 takedown. I've got a pretty much trashed 250-3000 receiver that I got from Jed a while back and several 303 barrels that I'd thought to get liners in but it seems as though the folks that do that aren't in business anymore. That leaves having a new barrel made up. Still doing the left shoulder right shoulder cost analysis. grin
I added the gunsmith info to the Misc. sticky.
Could you post or PM me the details of exactly what was required to get the HP 22 barrel? I have a 1915 HP 22 that would be nice to have a replacement barrel for. It is also a takedown.

Thanks!

Blitz
Originally Posted by 1899sav
kurtvn
Please Post Some Pics of the rifle with New Barrel.
Steve

I will post some pics right after antelope season here in Montana, which is mid October.
© 24hourcampfire