Home
Posted By: Brianj1956 Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
Hey Guys,

I have a question about the Lyman tang peep sight on my Savage 99. How is the stem with the threads attached to the block that holds the aperture. I have looked closely and cannot figure it out..is it threaded ? pressed? , what is the best way to remove it?

Respectfully
Brian
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
Brian the stem and the aperture are all one piece. Unless youv'e got a 2A SA which means the aperture is threaded into the stem. A 1A SA will just have a flip down aperture inside of it, I believe there is a very small pin holding this type in.

To remove the stem you just have to turn it up as far as it will go and then pull it off.

I think 99Trix has a few pics of a Lyman in the "Misc" thread above this at the top of the page.
Posted By: Brianj1956 Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
Mad Dog,

Thanks for the quick response. All that is stamped on the bottom is SA. I love this sight because not only does it adjust for elevation but also the steel bloke that the aperture screws into is adjustable for windage. My problem is someone stripped out the threads on the stem and now I cannot get proper elevation.

Respectfully
Brian
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
Sounds like you have a no.47 windage stem., Ive never had one in hand so I dont know if the stem is removable or integral to the block.
Yes it is a LYMAN NO. 47 WINDAGE STEM SIGHT, and the threads are stripped. I was hoping I could just replace the stem if it could be removed???

Respectfully
Brian
Posted By: Loggah Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
Brian, The stem is one piece and cannot be removed on the .47, i have a couple on rifles ,they look funky but they work . I guess you would have to build up the thread area and do some minute machining ,filing to rebuild the threads, there kind of a interupted,miniature, acme thread. Don
Don,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Do you or any of the forum members know of a machinist who can perform this work?

Respectfully
Brian
Theres a guy here,"Apertures and stuff" or something like that that might be able to help, i'm sure someone will come up with the right"LINK" Don
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
aperturesnmore.com
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/08/11
I think thats the guy Mike got to make our Watson apertures. Does nice work, bet he could fix the threads on that 47 for sure.
Thats the guy!!! i knew there were people here who actually pay attention and remember things !!!! grin Don
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/09/11
Yup, he's a class act!! I envy his skill as a machinist!
Posted By: Brianj1956 Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/09/11
Hey Guys,

Joe Hulett from aperturesnmore answered my inquiry and said they were not able to fix the threads on my Lyman #47 Sight Stem, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Respectfully
Brian
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/09/11
I'd just give up and send it to me, haha.
mad dog,

I appreciate the offer but even though I am in the Christmas spirit I will pass on donating it to you...smile. However, if I cannot find someone to repair it I might consider a trade toward a vintage Marble or Lyman tang sight with just elevation.

thanks
Brian
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/09/11
I have never taken the post out of one of my Lyman tangs, so don't know what the internals of the housing looks like. But, would a heli-coil work? Don't know whether they make them that small/fine.

http://www.emhart.com/brands/heli-coil
Posted By: Loggah Re: Lyman SA question? - 12/09/11
Brian,I would guess you could get another long regular lyman stem, have the end machined down,cut the other stem off flush on the 47,and bore the bottom to accept the stem and silver solder it in place, the stem would have to be indexed properly so the threads lined up in the bottom piece so the head was 180 degrees to the bore !!! sounds like a lot of work don't it !!!!!! grin Don
Don,
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, not as much machine work and a much simpler repair. Hopefully I can find just the stem from a Lyman sight with the same threads which are Acme Interrupted Threads.

Respectfully
Brian
Brian, I'm pretty sure all the lyman stems are the same thread. The no.47 windage unit was made to be installed into any lyman tang site bottom. Don
Originally Posted by Brianj1956
mad dog,
However, if I cannot find someone to repair it I might consider a trade toward a vintage Marble or Lyman tang sight with just elevation.

thanks
Brian

See your p.m. box (the little flashing envelope). I'd swap you up a tang sight for it. I think the guy at work thats in the shop could probably make new threads for it. If not I'll built it up and bring it back down with a file.

Caw....caw

[Linked Image]
Gee, Joe ya really want one of those dontcha !!!! grin
Ya, it's something I don't have, I hate that feeling.
© 24hourcampfire