Home
Posted By: BertW Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
I'm sure you guys haven't missed me, but I haven't had much rifle time lately. I have been, and still working on, restoring a 68 Chevy truck for my son. We did get away for a little hog hunt. We ran out of sausage in the freezer. No rifles in the pic because they were inside drying out, soaked in the rain. I missed a couple, so I got a big goose egg for the hunt. It was hard to hit'em in the woods running 30 mph. My son got this one though. It weighed 342 lbs. He shot it with his EG.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
Good show! Lots of sausage there! How does it compare to domestic pork?
Posted By: StretchNM Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
Outstanding! That's a nice one with lots of meat. What caliber did he use?

gnoahhh it's more like beef to me. It still has a pork flavor to it, but it has the color, texture, and flavor (almost) of a roast cooked med-well. Very different from the white, grain-fed pork chops we're used to. Now I couldn;t tell you about the sausage. I never had any from feral hogs.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
Nice!
Posted By: texken Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
cooking hams, shoulders ect., is LOW and SLOW, for sausage I like it mixed with deer.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
wild hog pork chops... not as much fat and more sinew and crap but otherwise about the same...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
Good shooting and sweet truck too, Ive had a 67 and a 69. Got my last speeding ticket in the 67 (no speedometer) some years ago. 6 cly, 2 speed automatic, foot to the floor on a long, flat straightaway....73 mph smile
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/22/12
Nice hog! and the kid outshot dad, even better!
Posted By: BertW Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/23/12
Makes great sausage, some of the best I've had. I cut a couple of roasts and a bunch of pork chops and stew meat. The rest is going to be link sausage (jalepeno/cheese, smoked hot & spicy, regular smoked). I think it's better than domestic.

About the truck, it's in pieces and I just got the engine back from the machine shop. Dynoed at just over 300 hp. The kid doesn't need much more than that.

As far as the kid out shooting me, he has been doing it on a regular basis. 300 EG and a head shot.

In my defense, I shot at this hog the day before, and it had an entrance wound on the right side (side I was shooting at), but the bullet traveled between the hide and the top of the ribs. I found the bullet, but it had not affected the pig one bit. It was running like nothing was wrong.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: Hey Fellas! (pic) - 02/23/12
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Good show! Lots of sausage there! How does it compare to domestic pork?

Do ya know the difference in taste of a caged bird, a yard bird or a tasty stewed bowlegged yard bird. Well there's not much fat and its tasty good.grin
© 24hourcampfire