Home
Posted By: TheOldTree wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275548224
Posted By: Ron_T Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Undoubtedly in very good condition, but for 2 "Grand", it would have to be gold-plated to command that price... in MHO.

That price is ridiculous, but you never know when someone with more money than sense will "pay-the-price". crazy

Ron T.
Posted By: JeffG Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Very thorough description, great condition, and probably has as much to do with "seller's other auctions" being high quality too, which all translates into "This must be the real (collector) deal" ...plus the magic of two anxious bidders with cabin fever! and one happy seller!
Posted By: mad_dog Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
How many complete RS's do you guys see every year with that much condition?

I think it'll go higher than what it's at now.

Always seperates the collectors from the accumulators. wink
Posted By: boltman Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
It's fairly easy to find an RS - they come up for sale often enough. But one in this condition, not so much. I have lived in the Winchester world as a parallel and the difference in price between 90%, 95%, 98% and 99% is often quite remarkable.
Why can't Savage lever rifles have the same status? It's been moving that way for quite a while.
Originally Posted by boltman
It's fairly easy to find an RS - they come up for sale often enough. But one in this condition, not so much. I have lived in the Winchester world as a parallel and the difference in price between 90%, 95%, 98% and 99% is often quite remarkable.
Why can't Savage lever rifles have the same status? It's been moving that way for quite a while.

Everything you are saying is spot on, IMO. Just an average 99 has the chance of being sold at $500, and you don't get much for your money. Even some relatively common 99's in the $1500 range will have flaws. 1920's are in the same ballpark. Smell the coffee. NICE guns are bringing good money. I can't see what we're looking at because GB is blocked at work. Course it's easy for me to talk. I buy my guns with Uncle Sam's money......... grin grin grin
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
"We" know the seller and he has great stuff! He is extremely knowledgeable and I just don't think bullschitt is part of his line.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Originally Posted by mad_dog
How many complete RS's do you guys see every year with that much condition?

I think it'll go higher than what it's at now.

Always seperates the collectors from the accumulators. wink

Plus 1 on that.
Don't think you find many that are that complete, especially with sling also.
Lauren, What was your "wtf is going on here?" referring to?
Posted By: Hubert Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
I appears to be an original piece with all the original equipement on it. if that is true I would pay twice that for it if I could afford to. But alas I am but a poor retired Vet with lttle money to waste.
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Nice stuff commands the long dollar, Brother.
You just fall off the turnip wagon?
Posted By: boltman Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
I could have shortened my previous posted and simply stated, "condition, condition, condition"
Posted By: RAS Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

Here is the confusion.

The words, 'what somebody is' which is commonly mistaken in the mind with 'what you are'....
Posted By: diamondjim Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Right on there Jeff.

The seller will be happy, we assume, and obviously the buyer is going to get something they want....so it should be a win win for both. Doesn't matter what we all think what we would pay for one. Just so the seller and buyer come to terms. That is the way it should be....

now back to my Forty Creek.... whistle

I've created a monster.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Always thought that if anybody could drive somebody to drink, it'd be Mad Dog. grin
Posted By: diamondjim Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
You are right Rory. That was your first PM to me when I joined this forum........ laugh
Posted By: RKO Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Given the condition I don't think the bidding is out of line.
Posted By: 99guy Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Take a real good look at it.

You will probably never see another complete pre-war RS in that kind of condition again.

If I had the money................................it would already be in Pa. wink
Posted By: Loggah Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
I can see one just like it in my vault anytime !!!! maybe i should sell mine at these prices!! smile Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
I can see one just like it in my vault anytime !!

Ditto.

Actually I think mine might be nicer. wink
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
sit tight...they'll get better.
Posted By: Loggah Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
Im not sure the gun prices are going up,just the dollars value is going down !!! cry cry
Posted By: 99guy Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/28/12
You can't make or lose any money on your guns unless you sell them. wink

Posted By: texken Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
I was going to comment...then remembered what my mom used to tell me.
Posted By: RAS Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by Loggah
Im not sure the gun prices are going up,just the dollars value is going down !!! cry cry

We have a winner. Dont know your eduaction Loggah. Doesnt matter. You could teach Econ 101 like a prince.

Mistake #2:

Too many people look at $X as a price of something and compare it to another sale at a later date. It is really wrong to do that without running some numbers. Inflation or deflation on the buying power of the dollar is really important. Commodties like food and necessities like gasoline are a good measure. Find the price of gas and food three years ago and compare it to today.

Guns and antiques can be used as an investment but far from the best thing to do IMO. I will agree that they are a lot more fun than stocks though. wink But you dont have to oil small cap stocks and bonds.

I am an optimistic guy, but were all doomed. Go out and buy what you want and dont sweat what it costs. smile
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by RKO
Given the condition I don't think the bidding is out of line.

there is a poster that I have not seen around here in a while!

Pretty thorough description of the rifle by the seller. He sounds like he'd make a pretty good car salesman.
Posted By: boltman Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
For people that have been around this stuff for a while, the condition of the rifle speaks for itself. Clear pictures are all that is really needed.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
If you think the price is so outta line - think back to how many guns you've sold you'd buy back at twice the price you sold them for... wink
Posted By: ZookaTx Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
+10 on the good pictures. I have snagged some shooters lately, including a premil F in 300, great shape, for $380, and a C in 308 with a professionally shortened barrel (to 20.5") with excellent bluing and an action like glass, with original wood incorrectly described as "aftermarket" because it was the later Monte Carlo stuff, for $351. Why did they slip thru? Bad descriptions, poor research and poor pictures. If you want someone to shell out the big bucks for your whatever, have the sense to take good pics and describe it well. A little research pays off well. If you are a buyer, don't be afraid to conta=ct the seller if you have any questions. There was a premil F in 308 that sold this week for like $500 because it was described as an E. Seller lost his butt from either mistyping E not F or just from not looking at the barrel. Either way, silly mistake.
Originally Posted by olgrouser
If you think the price is so outta line - think back to how many guns you've sold you'd buy back at twice the price you sold them for... wink

Bert,

Not meaning to offend you, but MY answer to your question is easy.............NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile smile One I MIGHT buy back for even money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but ONLY one. smile smile
Posted By: XLTFX4 Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by olgrouser

Bert,

Not meaning to offend you, but MY answer to your question is easy.............NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile smile One I MIGHT buy back for even money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but ONLY one. smile smile

I agree completely! I was going to say more but it would be a waste of time.
I can't agree - AT ALL! There are many guns I would pay double to get back.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
There was a little Parker 20 gauge VH with 28" barrels bored F/F that I doubled my money on that I can't afford to buy back again after it was professionally "freshened" up. IIRC it sold for 3X my selling price. frown

Also there's a sweet little 1926 250-3000 "F" that's haunting me now. Wonder what price it's valued at today?
Posted By: sqweeler Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
Two Tournament grade 21's,a 16 and a 20 I sold in the 80's for $2000 each.The memory's hurt big time.The unfired 358F I sold for $400 doesn't hurt as bad.But the biggest hurt was my 1969 Charger R/T 426Hemi 4 speed car I sold in 1973 for $1800.Ouch!!!Bought it from the orig. owner with 42,000 mile's on it.Make's me wanna puke when I watch those Barrett-Jackson auctions.
Squeeler - I am not expert but I have watched the car auction shows and one can imagine the type price that '69 Charger would bring now. So, can we safely assume you would buy that unfired .358 back for $800?
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Two Tournament grade 21's,a 16 and a 20 I sold in the 80's for $2000 each.The memory's hurt big time.The unfired 358F I sold for $400 doesn't hurt as bad.But the biggest hurt was my 1969 Charger R/T 426Hemi 4 speed car I sold in 1973 for $1800.Ouch!!!Bought it from the orig. owner with 42,000 mile's on it.Make's me wanna puke when I watch those Barrett-Jackson auctions.

I watch the Mecum shows. The prices are amazing....sqweeler, what do you think your hot rod is worth today?
I was thinking about a Winchester M1894 .25/35 SRC I let go quite a while back. It was in decent shape but nothing like the "wtf" gun discussed here. However, it had special order side sling swivels (like you see on the "Congo" M1894 SRC's). I have never seen another like it. I would pay five times what I let that gun go for. If I think hard enough, I will likely think of others I might even pay more than five times what I sold it for. I would certainly pay five times what Squeeler let his Charger go for - sounds like a heck of a ride.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: wtf is going on here? - 02/29/12
Any original Hemi car from 1966-71 goes from $250,000 to a mil.Never seen one like I had,every option,Ps,PB,power window's &seat's,everything but A/C cause they couldn't fit it under the hood!!I remember having to gas up on even day's during the gas crunch of the early seventies.I still have a set of key's and registration somewhere.
Posted By: djs Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
If your are a collector of admirer of really fine guns, the price is worth it. I buy guns to shoot and if one that hits my fancy, I'll buy it, even if it is not pristine.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
Sqweeler....GOOD LORD! You ever puke thinking about the old hot rod?
I was born in 1965 and one day I would like to own one of John DeLorean's brain child's...a 1965 Pontiac GTO. The man was a visionary back then...long before he got tied up with the whores and the coke trafficking schitt storm of the early '80's.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
Graduated high school in '71.All my friends had muscle car's.428CJ,Boss 302&429 Mustang's,454 LS-5 Chevelle's,390 AMX's,Roadrunner's,GTX's etc.I was driving a '69 Barracuda Formula S 340 at the time.Then we got married or went to Vietnam and that was the end of that!!
Posted By: 99guy Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
Originally Posted by fatjack34
the whores and the coke trafficking schitt storm of the early '80's.

Those were the days wink

Should have spent all that money on $300 99's instead.

Who knew?
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
or if ya'da bought msft in the eighties, instead of all that partyin'

Those were good days, brought to an end much the same as this last banking hangover; the S&L crisis.
Posted By: 99guy Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
I was 20 something in the 80's

Wasn't too concerned with msft, banking or S&L at the time wink
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
I hear ya!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/02/12
Back in the 70-80's I was busy with English roadsters, single shot rifles, and getting married/divorced (with the attendant skirt chasing/partying after the divorce). It was a time when I felt invincible and knew that I would live forever in the lap of corporate America. As a steady stream of delectable rifles and exotic road machines slid through my fingers, I reasoned that they would always be there so why not sell one and grab another? (Kind of the same way I looked at women too!) And then corporate America turned out to be an illusion...

As my Pennsylvania Dutch gramps used to say "Ve get too soon oldt, und too late schmart!"

The RS sold for 2 Grand!!!!!

There's a buyer with no brains.....
Posted By: Phil99 Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
Yeah, just like those damned fools that paid $20 a share for Apple.

Rod
Posted By: 99guy Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
Remember when Ford stock was about $2.00 about 3 years ago? Thought about throwing everything I had into it. Couldn't pull the trigger though. Today it's 12.75.

Nice grab Joe.

Posted By: RAS Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
I bought NEWCX and SCWCX at half their current price in late 2008. I have to pay Uncle Sam a honk, but still a good deal.

Aint' nuttin but a G thang.
Posted By: boltman Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
Originally Posted by boswellbuckhunter

I thought it would go higher.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
Originally Posted by boltman
Originally Posted by boswellbuckhunter

I thought it would go higher.

Ditto.

Yet this gun will go for this?:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275550274

Like I said before, that RS seperates the collectors from the accumulators.
Drew's RS was a pristine collector item. This model has the appeal of being older and in a desirable caliber yet the replacement wood mostly ruins it (for me) as a collector item. That is a lot to spend for a shooter. The lack of inspection period offered hardly thrilled me either frown
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
I will never understand putting such a ridiculous premium on caliber alone... hell you could take an old 303 and have it bored out and take a dremel to the rotor and have a function 1899 in 38-55 for less then was paid for that gun and at least you would have a brand new bore... I see basically no real difference... neither is factory. The cold blue on that gun really kills me too.
The .38-55 sounds like it has a questionable bore. So, I can't see the appeal. Non-original wood, cold blued and possibly a bad bore. I can't see where a collector would want it and I can't see where a shooter would want it. Maybe someone is thinking it could be rebored to a larger caliber... wink

Oh, and no refunds!
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
too be honest... that just makes me upset when I see that my pristine 99RS sold for only a small bit more... I set the reserve so I can not be too upset but still makes me wish I could find ppl willing to throw stupid money at my gun... I am going to start buying rat 32-40s, 25-35s, and 38-55s and selling them online... everyone goes for stupid money just b/c of caliber... funny thing is ppl seem to reach a threshhold where condition stops driving value... $1800 for a piece of junk but you would have a hard time getting $3000 out of one that was pristine... I just don't get it but everyone thinks differently I guess...
Posted By: oldotter Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
The bottom line is it was worth it to the buyer. His money. Nothing to figure out there. Other peoples wants/desires aren't measureable. ( grinmaybe by wallet size)
Posted By: 99guy Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/05/12
Just always gets back too this........a gun ain't worth what you or I would pay for it....it's worth what somebody will pay for it.

Sometimes there just ain't no rhyme or reason to it.
Posted By: boltman Re: wtf is going on here? - 03/06/12
Drew is referencing a theme that I have noticed as well. People will pay a high price for something with several problems and not the best condition (e.g. if it has something rare going for it like the Winchester calibers Drew referenced). But, value often seems to top out and a top conditioned one doesn't bring what one would think it would. I wouldn't say I see this same theme with Winchesters.

I wouldn't trade Drew's RS for two of the 38-55's like that one. Although the rare caliber can be a strong selling point, personaly I prefer "CONDITION", "CONDITION", "CONDITION"....
© 24hourcampfire