Home
Posted By: docost99 Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
but a friend got it. Pics coming. Let me know if I'm wrong, but I believe it's an 1899A Short Rifle with A engraving. 22" barrel, SN 1027xx. 1910?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A few more coming, but you get the idea.
Posted By: docost99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jericho Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
Thanks for the cool pictures dc, if that gun could only talk.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
Its not A engraving, that gun would be an A2 Special...it was an early offering from Savage. It is factory. Very cool!!
Posted By: 99guy Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
Yep:

That one had to come home Brian wink

grin

Edit: 32-40 short rifle is on my short list. Not an easy gun to find.
Posted By: boltman Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
Very cool gun smile
Posted By: docost99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
Yes, I know. eek Not much I could do about it. I do know where is resides though! grin
Posted By: boltman Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/23/12
What's his security system like....

wink
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/24/12
A2 engraving is nice. With the sanding and all, wonder if the barrel was cut or if it's a SR? Need a letter to be sure.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/24/12
Oh no, not the infamous sanded cheeks again. crazy I just knew there was going to be at least one person who just wasn't going to be able to help themselves.

Another $hit storm?

Tune in at 11 wink
It is what it is.. I'd be happy to have that in my safe, blued lever and sanding and all. Especially if the 22" barrel is right, and it looks right from what I can see.

Gun's got character.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Gun's got character.

Yup AND engraving.... cool

I would love to have this one too...
Posted By: 99guy Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/24/12

Gun's got character.

Yep: I love it. First thing I would do is shoot a deer with it grin
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by 99guy

Gun's got character.

Yep: I love it. First thing I would do is shoot a deer with it grin

I'd put a nut on that sear screw... then I'd go shoot it!

Posted By: Rick99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/24/12
That's the Spring time version A2... no grapes yet. grin
It's got grapes.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 09/25/12
Oh ya sure. And now I'm gonna need glasses! grin
Posted By: docost99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Update....
This one came home! Picked it up last night.
Where can I find an "antiqued" sear nut?
SN 1027xx.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Looks like you got it from your buddie! did he ever get a letter on this one? Lightfoot or Skidrow might be able to help you on the nut.
He didn't letter it,but I will.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Brian, I've got a bag o'nuts. Can look next week when I get back home.
How do I find some 32-40 ammo? Cast? LBK? gnoahhh?
I got a box of Winchester rounds with the rifle, but should I shoot them?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Brian, I've got a bag o'nuts. Can look next week when I get back home.

I wouldn't touch that line with a ten foot pole!

As for brass, unfortunately from all the chatter on the ASSRA forum that stuff is definitely on the "unobtanium" list. Check Captech (Jamison) via their website and/or Buffalo Arms. There are rumors that Starline might do a short run of them. Politely pestering them may help get them to do it. As for shooting the old box of factories, if it were my gun I would do it in a New York minute.

They can be made out of .30-30's. Bit of a PIA and you end up with brass that's a tad short, but it can be done and is probably the best long range dependable source of supply.

If all else fails, I have a small handful of nice .32-40 brass I'll contribute to the health and well being of such a neat rifle. Swap me something for them.

I would also get cracking with appeals splashed across the internet for brass/ammo.

If you aren't already into it, now would be a good time to get into casting. Sorry, I don't have a .32-40 mold.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Let me think for a few minutes. I have two full boxes and one partial I got at a yard sale 40 years ago. A 32-40 has been on my short list ever since. I think I want to hang onto them, just in case, but if I change my mind I'll send you a PM, Joe.
Thanks, Joe.
Posted By: BillR Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
An 1899 32-40 A-2 Special in takedown is really a scarce combination. The 22 inch barrel to make it a genuine short rifle would certainly add to the rarity once verified by a factory letter.
I wonder if it was ordered as an 1899A A-2 Special TD with special order 22 inch barrel which would explain the crescent buttplate.
Really a nice looking rifle.... would look great in my cabinet.
BillR
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
From the link it states..."Nonte’s book “the home guide to Cartridge Conversions” says to use 38/55 brass to form 32/40s."

Graf & sons sells .38-55 cases in two lengths. The longer is 2.125" which I think would be the correct length for the .32-40.

I have not done it. Just looking at numbers.
Posted By: robertacabin Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Never observed a 1899 SR takedown that early in production. Very nice find.
Posted By: BradD Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Originally Posted by docost99
How do I find some 32-40 ammo? Cast? LBK? gnoahhh?
I got a box of Winchester rounds with the rifle, but should I shoot them?

Great gun! I had fun and good accuracy with a light load using the RCBS .321" 170 FN gas checked bullet and Reloader 7 with data from the Lyman Cast Bullet book. Good luck and have fun with your new rifle.

Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Nice find Brian. Congrats!
PS let me know if you are gonna make the Savage Fest East and I'll bring you some pepper mustard.
John
Posted By: 99guy Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
That gun is bad ass.
I'll keep a lookout for some brass/loads around here for a while, and some locals that will keep an eye out for me. I have 0 experience in either brass forming or casting, so I don't think I'll try that yet. I imagine dies will be tough to find, too. gnoahhh, I'll keep the brass in mind.
I admit that I was a little hesitant to buy it. It has old repaired cracks on both sides of the tang. But it is the first engraved 1899 that I've seen up here, so this time, it's mine.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/15/16
Originally Posted by docost99
I imagine dies will be tough to find, too.

Not so much.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574503/lee-pacesetter-2-die-set-32-40-wcf

Midway has RCBS also.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/16/16
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Its not A engraving, that gun would be an A2 Special...it was an early offering from Savage. It is factory. Very cool!!

Sorry if this is a another re-hash of a previous topic, but I am not familiar with this "A2" type engraving.
It appears to have been done ~1910 and during the time Tue was engraving for Savage, but, doesn't look like his style. ??
Any additional info regarding who may have done the A2 engraving, time period(s), common/uncommon, .... is appreciated.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Sorry if this is a another re-hash of a previous topic, but I am not familiar with this "A2" type engraving.
It appears to have been done ~1910 and during the time Tue was engraving for Savage, but, doesn't look like his style. ??
Any additional info regarding who may have done the A2 engraving, time period(s), common/uncommon, .... is appreciated.

From an old thread, best info I've seen to date:

Originally Posted by GeneB
Which brings up the question.. how long was the A2 Special catalogued and/or produced?

Rory; First catalog I can find the A-2 Special in is No. 15 from about 1905, last to have it listed as a seperate model is No 60 from about 1916~1917 - in fact this is the last catalog to have any of the higher grades as seperate models, a supplement to Cat 60 dated June 18, 1917 does not have the higher grades listed at all (just higher prices); also in the suppliment is a "special note" that the company name had been chnaged from "Savage Arms Company" to "Savage Arms Corporation". The prices took quite a jump, all base model 1899's - rifle, saddle gun and carbine were $18 in the catalog and $30.00 in the supliment, the 1903 22 went from $12.50 to $16.00.

No. 61, 1919~1920, does not have any reference to higher grades at all that I can find. Catalog No. 62, ~1922~, has all the levels of engraving listed as extras as well as other features that made the higher grades so from here on it appears any combination of features might be found on higher 'grades'.

Also:

Originally Posted by FUG1899
Calhoun
The grape leaf came in two little different styles yours is like mine in the 103XXX time farme, one in the 80XXX time frame has no grapes on the outer leafs.Very rare,much rarer with condition!

A2 engraving features a leafy engraving somewhat similar to an A, but with spirals coming off the leaves and grape clusters.

[Linked Image]
Thanks Rory.
I guess the A2 Special Grade is 1 of about 12 1899 Special Fancy Grade Rifles. CD, AB, BC, ... I have more questions. grin But that's probably it's own thread.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Thanks Rory.
I guess the A2 Special Grade is 1 of about 12 1899 Special Fancy Grade Rifles. CD, AB, BC, ... I have more questions. grin But that's probably it's own thread.

The A2 Special is a named combination of options that are available, just like the CD or AB or BC or <etc>.

But in this case the A2 engraving is a separate option and can show up without being on an A2 Special.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/18/16
You guys sure have this nailed down tight. Impressive. smile
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/18/16
I've always found the A2 interesting. There is A2 engraving and A2 checkering. A rifle (1899-A,B or C) with A2 checkering was an "A2 Regular". Add A2 engraving and it became the "A2 Special". It's the only one that was setup that way. Also, the A2 Spl was the lowest priced engraved and checkered rifle yet it and the Monarch both used the grape leaf as a base to there design.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Missed a 32-40 today - 05/19/16
This is a good subject for my next book.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
This is a good subject for my next book.

grin
© 24hourcampfire