Home
Posted By: TA243 Serious problem with 99E - 11/18/12
Bought a used 99E series A about 6 mos. ago, and it functioned flawlessly until today. Loaded 4 rounds into the magazine, and when I closed the lever, the round discharged- surprise !! Had to fire all 4 rounds in this manner to unload the gun. Anyone know what the problem might be ? Its a .243 by the way. Thanks in advance for any help!-- Tom
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Serious problem with 99E - 11/18/12
Don't have to close the lever all the way to unload the magazine. Halfway should get the shells caught up by the extractor.

Anybody ever try to lighten the trigger on that rifle?
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Serious problem with 99E - 11/18/12
Yep , somebody Bubbaed the trigger

Mike
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Serious problem with 99E - 11/18/12
Yep... what 6mm250 said... somebody smoothed up the sear and trigger... and the "jolt" of the heavy breech-block slamming "home" caused the firing pin to be sent forward.

I had the SAME THING happen to my 99 after I had my gunsmith "lighten-up" the trigger pull. I had to take it back to my otherwise excellent gunsmith and have him "fix" the problem... which he did.

Now the trigger isn't nearly as "light" as it was before... but the rifle is SAFE once again. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Serious problem with 99E - 11/18/12
Sounds like there is some metal missing in the sear engagement. Probably gonna take some new parts to put that right.
Yuppp, sure sound familiar to me!! Some body, instead of just polishin' the bearing surface, took meat off the top!!
Posted By: TA243 Re: Serious problem with 99E - 11/20/12
Thanks, guys. Don't know what was done to the rifle before I got it, but the trigger pull wasn't that light,and it functioned fine through about 2 boxes of shells. Guess I'll take it apart to see what's what. Most likely wind up takin' it to a smith. Anybody know a good one in the Kansas City area? Mine picked up and moved to New Mexico, the turncoat!
© 24hourcampfire