Home
Posted By: pcs New guy with new old 1899 - 11/22/12
I bought a Savage 1899 in 303 savage caliber, 26" octagon barrel, pistol grip stock with no checkering, grip cap has the "Marlin" profile, fair condition, Serial number 66xxx, forend wood and buttstock numbers match. So what variation is this? Happy T-day and thanks for any info PS paid $300
image.jpeg
[Linked Image]
Sorry for the bad pic and ignore the Carcano!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OK broke out the better camara, forgot to mention, been drilled for scope mounts and a Poly choke compass inletted at the comb, Strange thing is the buttplate is mismatched number?
Verbal description as given sounds like a CD. Go to www.savagela.org and look at the photos for comparison. Good price depending on the condition of the gun. Good picture are a must for proper identification. Click on the flashing letter for a PM from me. GW
Posted By: mad_dog Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/22/12
CD would have checkering, probably an 1899B with special order wood, I'd get it lettered for sure.
Agreed might also explain the buttplate. GW
better pictures
Posted By: pcs Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/22/12
Pcs added!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/22/12
Nice old rifle with lots of character. Don't let Les see the compass.. grin

Looks to be an 1899B with special order pistol grip and shotgun buttplate.
Posted By: steve99 Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/22/12
Nice rifle, even with the old school GPS installed. It doesn't owe you any money at that price. The tang sight is worth the better part of the sale price.

What Carcano?
Nice special order features except for the added compass. Likely a dead whitetail wont complain about the compass.Still is a great buy at $300. GW
Posted By: steve99 Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/23/12
With what's already been done to the rifle, I wouldn't worry about the serial number on the buttplate. For the cost of a factory letter you can find out if what you have left the factory that way.

Me. I'd be grinnin' like an idiot and go shoot it.
Posted By: norm99 Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/23/12
should be in jail for steeling grin

norm
Posted By: boltman Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/23/12
Great buy for sure. Does the buttplate numbers match?
Where the hell did you find that for $300??!!? Did they have any more?
Posted By: pcs Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/25/12
Pcked up at local small gun show, I dont see many Savage 99's around here? I will keep a sharper eye out now with my new found interest!
Posted By: boltman Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by pcs
Pcked up at local small gun show, I dont see many Savage 99's around here? I will keep a sharper eye out now with my new found interest!

Wow - that might mean others walked by it and passed at the steep $300 pricetag crazy
Not the Hendersonville show!!?? I missed it.

I went to the Lebanon show today. Not much there. One guy had an 1899 short rifle in 303 with more holes in it than a sieve, very little finish, and a $850 price tag. He also had a grey rat uncheckered EG in 30-30 with little finish, rear sight slot blank, and a tang sight installed for $1100. shocked Another fella had a rough 101 Savage 22 in a pretty neat lasther holster marked $200. Only Savages I noticed.
Posted By: pcs Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/25/12
Yep, Hendersonville on Sunday.
cry

Good snag.
Posted By: boltman Re: New guy with new old 1899 - 11/25/12
I'm stunned that gun didn't sell before the show opened during dealer set-up.
© 24hourcampfire