Home
Posted By: Mac66 Steven 325c Scope base - 12/04/12
Picked up this very nice 325c over the weekend. VG condition but it has an odd, what I assume to be scope mount on it. It is marked on the outside "Made In USA" with pat pending number on it and the word "On" to the right of the knob. The reverse side says Stevens 325c on it. The indexed knob in the middle moves the silver bar inside forward and back which I assumes locks the scope on. Don't know what the hook is for. The receiver was drilled and tapped for this mount but I've never seen this type of scope mount before and was curious.

I know about the rifle, any info on the mount would be appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/04/12
Looks kinda like a Pachmayer swing over mount

.......only different, haha.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/04/12
So it has a fixed base somewhat like a Weaver for a 325/340, but that whole business on top of it is really confusing me. I'm lost..
Posted By: Mac66 Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
Gotta admit it is kind of cool looking gizmo whatever it is.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
I'm telling you guys it's whats left over of a Pachmayer swing over mount, don't ya believe me?

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5026493
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
Aha.. Now I believe you. grin
Rifle looks in nice shape. I have 2, a 22 Hornet and a 30-30.
Love that butter knife bolt handle. Was it refinished?
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
I believed you. Gotta wonder what happened to the rings though. With that mount you've got to work a little bit to get them off.
Posted By: Mac66 Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I'm telling you guys it's whats left over of a Pachmayer swing over mount, don't ya believe me?

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5026493

Thanks for the info on the mount. Looking the photo on the gunauction site makes sense. The hook thing on the top is actually a spring loaded stop which holds the scope over by friction. Now that I know that it is a Pachmayr swing over mount I've found several of them on Ebay.

And yes, the rifle is in VG condition. The stock had obviously been refinished. There isn't a ding or scratch on it. Whoever did it did a pretty good job. There is a bit of freckling on the receiver but no rust. Considering these were made from 1947-1950 and I got it for well under $200, I am very happy with it.

I am looking forward to putting this thing back in use for the purpose it was intended. It will serve well as a medium distance deer rifle on my property.
Posted By: RatFink Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
Very nice rifle. I killed a deer with mine a few weeks ago. I got mine from my grandpa so it was very cool to use it and kill a deer with it. Very neat old rifles that shoot very well.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
My first deer with my brother's 325. Minnesota 1958.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
Great pic, Mike! I was trying to keep a straight face in 1st grade when you posed with that deer!
Posted By: dell Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
Shxxin yellow at the time. Cool pic! 56 Belair?
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/05/12
You can tell just by looking at him, that kid's gonna' go far!

Rod
Posted By: airedaleman Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Originally Posted by dell

'55 210... I had a souped-up one circa 1959. Sold it to buy a brand new '60 Volvo PV544.

Great picture! And the 325's/340's (early) kind of appeal to me. Getting the subject 325 set up with the Pachmayr mount (Mount plus the charge for drilling and tapping) and a scope must have cost more than the gun!

Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Originally Posted by airedaleman
Originally Posted by dell

'55 210...

Yup! me and that car had a lot of adventures in high school... wink
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Holy crap, my dad was still out partying with the boys and didn't even know my mom when that pic was taken!
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
My first deer with my brother's 325. Minnesota 1958.

[Linked Image]

Geez Mike
You still look the Same,,Except for a few Gray Ones. grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Holy crap, my dad was still out partying with the boys and didn't even know my mom when that pic was taken!

Yeah, but you're just a baby. grin

Let's see.. Mom and dad had been married 4 years and had 2 kids and were renting a small house in Long Beach a couple blocks from the ocean. I was still 3 years away though.
Posted By: Mac66 Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Pretty cool photo. Makes me want to go out and shoot mine even more.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Steven 325c Scope base - 12/06/12
Cool pic! We'd just left Hoyt Lakes two years earlier.
© 24hourcampfire