Home
Looks like they did the barrel and unsure of d/t....Looking forward to see how it shoots.

Johnson Automatics did machine guns during WWII, so I am guessing they went to sporterizing rifles after the war.

http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/Biography.htm

Here is my gun. I know I probably overpaid, but it is kind of neat in its own way.

Here are few pics and more to follow. I also have the brochure and repair tag to go with the rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thats one of those Lyman sweat on front sights huh? Never seen one mounted before.
Of course, it is going to be hunted with. It is an early rifle, correct? You can serial #.

The barrel on mine is the top barrel on page 3.

I guessing this was done in the early 50's

Here are the brochure/tag pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
With that serial number, ya, it's an early one, first year of production.

Wonder how many Lyman #54's they had laying around on the top of their workbench! Would like to find that box.
I like it! I hope yours shoots as well as mine does. Course, mine has no taper at all so it's maybe the bull barrel?
Diamond Jim, that's a nifty little rifle, and the paper with it is fascinating. I can remember trying to figure out how I could save up enough to have some of that work done to a 98 Mauser that my cousin brought back and gave to me.

Front sight looks like a Springfield with replacement beaded blade...
Did the scope centerline wind up being right of center? The bolt is bent, much like my M20 in .300.

Mine isn't marked Johnson Automatics but otherwise looks very similar.
Yup, just to the right of center....
All the Johnson Automatics barrels I've encountered (on 98s and 1917s) shot VERY well. They made many replacement barrels for the 1917s that were rebuilt for WWII. Most of those ended up being used by "Allied" armies (Greek, French, Chinese, etc.), as far as I know. Some ended up on postwar sporters, tho.
Nice looking rifle. Another piece of history with Savages involved!
Here is a photo with no real connection (other than Johnson auto and around the same time frame) http://www.ebay.com/itm/350658141650?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Nice work by Johnson Automatics. I like it. Let us know how she shoots. Is it a 1-14 or 1-10 twist? Be cool if it was a 1 in 10.

Very Cool DJ!
That is cool looking rifle for sure! I like the history of it. You didnt pay too much if you like it. My thoughts anyway..

Good deal.
What vintage is the brochure Jim?

neat array of varmint calibers, plus 250-3000, 300 sav, and 256 Newton!
Aug. 1, 1951. Can't wait to get out and shoot it....
Ooops! Just found the Lyman logo... 73-year-old eyes and all that.
Enjoy your new acquisition!
If you look in the upper right hand corner of page 3 of the brochure, it lists the twist there. Looks like 25 cals were 10-12.
Nice.. mine has always shot the 100gr bullets well, sounds like yours should also.
Jim
That's a Dandy for sure. Very Nice. and Great Info.
Congrats.
Steve
Looks to me like it has a Williams side mount, thinking maybe the side of the receiver has been D/T?

Nice looking rifle.
Great rifle, does it have any modifications to the trigger? I'd have to say this is one modification I wouldn't mind having, my eyes are not as good as they use to be and one day I might not be able to shoot the model 1920's I have.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Looks to me like it has a Williams side mount, thinking maybe the side of the receiver has been D/T?

Nice looking rifle.

It is a Weaver side mount. It will help these eyes, that is for sure.... wink

ottsm,
Nothing done to the trigger, and if you are tired of those 1920's, I have a home for them....... whistle grin
", and if you are tired of those 1920's, I have a home for them......."

Already have them lined out for my son. This year I took him out shooting for the 1st time (age 7). The first rifle he ever shot is a model 1920 in 250 (he hasn't even shot a BB gun yet). I had kids late in life, it can get tiring at times with all the sports and other activities, wish we had more time to go out to the range.

Love it. What a great first rifle to fire. Got him started proper...
I love that 1920, it looks great. I'm getting to the point where I really want to acquire a good shooter-grade 1920 that has been D&T and a vintage 4x scope to go with it.
© 24hourcampfire