Home
Posted By: Fireball2 short action Mauser - 12/29/12
The thread on the Savage 1920 resembling a short Mauser reminded me of one I saw in a shop the other day.
It appeared to be a commercial Mauser without the finger cutout, in a short action. In this case it was a custom barreled 243. I really don't know enough about them to have noticed much. The shop said it had the stripper clip piece/ability/whatever, but no cut out. I just gave it a glance but I didn't know of anything like this. Any ideas, and sorry I'm so vague, just wasn't my thing. Sure was a cute little guy. Wasn't like the Interarms 223 sized action. Just thought it was a curiosity.
Posted By: TomT Re: short action Mauser - 12/29/12
I realize it's laying on the bolt in this pic. (i am after all a lefty :-) ), but here's one of my favorite sporterized Mausers. My dad spotted in a rack at a gun show years ago, and after hefting it, I was happy to pay the $300 asking price, and that included the Weaver it still wears. It had swivels, but the light sling was added by me. It's in 7x57 and it's a tack driver, the only negative is the military, Mauser safety, which obviously requires more movement than I would like in a hunting weapon.

I apologize for the Savage 99 sacrilege :-).

Happy New Year all! -TomT

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kk alaska Re: short action Mauser - 12/29/12
Love the detail work on the stock, can you show the other side please. Kurt
Posted By: Dons1 Re: short action Mauser - 12/29/12
Husqvarna produced commercial small ring Mauser actions that had un-cut thumb cut outs. Although the '96 model Swedish Military rifle was not designed for the pressures of the .243 they were/are a strong action that lacks only the 3rd lug.

Many of you may remember a few years back when Kimber was sporterizing military '96 Swedes which could be had in .243 and I recall .308.

Here's a small ring Husky with no slot, but note the stripper bridge is still retained. This is a commercial rifle in 8x57.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TomT Re: short action Mauser - 12/29/12
Just grabbed the wife's Nikon, the rifle out of the safe, and one of the many Whitetail pelts I have. After I get the two I'm having tanned back next year, i'll have enough for a warm, HEAVY Queen sized comforter, but that's a topic for a whole other thread.

Here's the flip side:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I like it so much because it hefts like a well balanced .22 rimfire (and it's a 7x57), and the checkering is very "Savage like". IMHO, this pairs very well with my late father's (mine now) 99G in 250-3000 as far as weight/carry go. -TomT
Posted By: TomT Re: short action Mauser - 12/30/12
I guess i'm realizing now, mine is a long action? Stupid, I know, but while I know a lot about 99's, I collect others (94's, 760's, etc.), but I'm not as well educated on them. I just know what I like when I hold/shoot them. -TomT
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: short action Mauser - 12/30/12
The one I saw in the shop was very short, but otherwise full dimension. Strange little beast.
Posted By: ctw Re: short action Mauser - 12/30/12
You should go back and take a better look.
© 24hourcampfire