Home
David sent some photos..We may have to drag him to the next fest smile

How long have you been collecting David?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very impressive collection
wow... all models and all calibers alone means you have a very extensive collection! There are a few in there that I think I would like to see more pictures of! We are going to have to teach you to use photobucket! I think there is a sticky in the Photography forum further down the website that will walk you through it, step by step.

Cheers
Simply splendid! If he's willing to come I look forward to meeting him and seeing in person his stuff. Ofttimes when dealing with things Savage I feel like the Jews wandering about in the wilderness. You know what you're looking for in most respects but you never know where you'll find it.
I got my first 99 when I was 13. It was an EG in .300. I remember it had a Chicopee barrel address and I think the serial number was in the 500K range. I killed several whitetails with it over the next few years and sold it before going into the Navy. I bought an 1895 in 1966 while home on leave which I still have. I bought and kept a few others over the years until about 2005 when I seriously started collecting. Murray's book hooked me. I would like to attend a Savage Fest. The photos from last years are great. I'll have the collection at the Denver show May 17 to 19. The February CGCA newsletter is on their website (www.CGCA.com)and has photos of some of my rifles in part 1 of an article I wrote for them. This is the pre-1947 part. Part 2 is in the March newsletter but so far it isn't available on the website.
I found the posting concerning photobucket. Will try it later. I'm always looking forward to meeting more 99 collectors. David

Wow...would be a great collection to see in person...looks like a museum....

Congrats on a great collection David...

Joe
thank you for doing that , neat display, lot of time and effort to build and set up TD every show.

norm
I'm thinking maybe we should chip in to get him to the next fest!
Informative write up. Thank you!

http://www.cgca.com/Documents/2013February.pdf
Nice display, lots of documentation to go with them !! Don
Originally Posted by bigolddave
I'm thinking maybe we should chip in to get him to the next fest!

Maybe the Fest should West..... wink
David, Is there a savage connection to the Mc Millan Items in the case?
Very nice display! Looking forward to close-ups of some of the Savages.
The combination gun in the display belonged to Donald MacMillan. He took it to the arctic in the 1920's and then gave or sold it to one of his assistants, William B. Jennison, who used it in the Arctic in the 1930's and maybe the 40's. He sold it to a man in Massachusetts about 1950 and I got it from this guy in 2011 on gunbroker. While we were in New England we went by Bowdoin College and visited the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum. The wildlife mounts there were collected later than the era of this gun according to the museum personnel. David
Are there any plans for a 2013 Savage Fest? David
David, I sent you a PM... flashy envelope at the top of your screen...
I'm thinking IIRC that the plan was for the next one to be in '14 unless someone jumps up with a plan to sponsor one in '13. Again IIRC (there were some adult beverages involved) that the attendees at the last one voted to hold them every other year. Again, ICBW as adult beverages were involved and no one that was there can speak for those that weren't.
Nice collection! Welcome to the group! -TomT
So far I haven't mastered photobucket. But if you'll tell which ones you'd like photos maybe we can impose on Greg to post them. David
All of them! grin
It'll be a few days before I can get to that. About 8 or 10 of the rifles have been changed (upgraded) since then. David
Looking forward to it. Looking forward to the next Fest too!
[url=http://s1238.photobucket] photo of 32-40 carbine
[Linked Image]] photo of 32-40 carbine.
photo of MacMillan combo 300/410 and 99D with 26" 410 barrel
[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/wyo1895/media/IMG_0362_zps5e00ce2c.jpg.html][Linked Image]
whooo boy! How many 32-40 SRC do we think there are around?? About two I'll bet, and that one looks practically pristine!
What do you guys think of this 1895? Factory checkering? th[Linked Image]is 1895? Factory Checkering?[Linked Image][Linked Image]
It's not the same style of factory checkering we've seen on other 1895's (to the best of my recollection), but my guess is no because that forearm looks altered. Sweet gun though, love the hard rubber buttplate!

Love that SRC as well!
Like the case color receiver too, do you have a letter on that one?
That is a very nice looking and unique 95'. Another candidate for the Savage motto; never say never! I hope there is a letter on it.
Is that a case colored receiver? I was wondering if it was originally nickel plated?
The receiver is case colored, circassian walnut stock w. # matching receiver # and hard rubber buttplate. The letter didn't show any of this.
Numbers matching throughout certainly counts for something. Letters often omit things.
Lightweight 25-35, lightweight 22H-P 1899250-3000 [Linked Image]
Musket engraved John D. Baile, Montreal Home Guard, 1914

pre war 99RS and 99K [Linked Image]

carbines 38-55 99H 30-30, 303
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I guess I haven't completely mastered photobucket. I know you guys can figure out where the labels belong. David
[Linked Image]

38-55 carbine missing saddle ring, 99H 30-30, 303 carbine
Thanks for posting pics! Looks like quite a collection!

mind sharing the serial number of your RS? I am keeping a log of all the prewar R and RS that I run across.

I sent the reply in messages
thanks... you should keep the pictures coming!
also, did you just by the 25-35 in the last 3 or 4 or so years... looks very similar to one that started out for sale at Cabelas, then a member here bought it and to flip and had for sale for a while and then I believe that he traded it to another seller who had at the KC gun show a few years ago....
I got the 25-35 at the James D. Julia auction in March. Sounds like its been around. It probably won't be for sale again until my estate is settled, hopefully not for another 20 or so years.
oh cool... probably the same gun as I can imagine there were not a lot 1899s made in that configuration and caliber... its a beauty for sure... regret not having bought it the first time I saw it for sale.

Also, I sent you this in the PM but what rear sight is that on your RS? Is it a Lyman #6? Like this one:

[Linked Image]

The Lyman #6 was common on the early RSs but yours would be the first I have seen on a later RS with the Redfield tang sight... most others had a sight blank instead but with Savage... never say never...
It is a Lyman #6.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've had the plain 1895 since 1966. Killed a whitetail with it in 1967 and have shot it from time to time since.
The 1899 short rifle has a 3 digit rack number on the barrel and a 1/4" S stamped on the bottom of the receiver. The historian letter didn't shed any light on this. Possibly a Sheriff's department rifle?
The 1899 half octagon is serial number 10449 and the historian letter states that it was shipped to the "Outing Publishing Company" in April 1899. There was an "Outing" magazine in that era which must have done some sort of article on the rifle. If anyone knows anything about this I would really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks David
David, I've looked through the 1899 and 1900 Outings and didn't see an article on the Savage rifle. I'll look again later.

Very cool rifles. And yet another very early 1899 with a 1895 forearm. Great pics!
I wonder if Outing Publications had more than one magazine. The rifle was gone from the factory about two weeks. The short rifle was made in 1900.
FWIW, I just searched volumes 33-36 here... http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006060364 and found no articles on savage.
Maybe "Outing" didn't like the rifle. Who knows. David
I had an 1895 that lettered to the Outing Publishing Company. They were offering free savage lever action rifles for subscriptions.

[Linked Image]

Blair
Now that's a rare bird! Thanks for sharing.
Interesting. I'd think that the cost of the rifle back then would have been way more than the cost of the magazine.
[Linked Image]

Here's a photo of the letter. It says the rifle was a "loaner" to Outing Publishing.
Maybe Savage gave Outing a deep discount on the rifles Outing gave away. David
© 24hourcampfire