Home
Posted By: Jacks Pa Looking for Scope Mount - 11/05/13
My dad has an old Savage 340D .222 that belonged to his dad. It has the bottom half of a side mount scope base. I am looking for the top part of the mount.

Anybody on here have one they are willing to part with?

Thanks

JP
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Looking for Scope Mount - 11/05/13
Weaver still makes them, think B-Square also does.
Posted By: Jacks Pa Re: Looking for Scope Mount - 11/05/13
Calhoun, do you know what the item number is on the Weaver?

I only need the top half!
Posted By: steve99 Re: Looking for Scope Mount - 11/05/13
Jacks PA

Is the mount for a 3/4 inch scope? If so it likely will be one of the "N" mounts.
Originally Posted by steve99
Jacks PA

Is the mount for a 3/4 inch scope? If so it likely will be one of the "N" mounts.

The base comes in two parts of stamped metal. The bottom part bolts to the side of the gun and is slanted at about 45 degrees over the top of the gun. I have this part. The other part has the rings and bolt to the first piece. Because I don't have the top part, I don't know what size rings it has.
Measure the bottom. The top will be identical.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Measure the bottom. The top will be identical.

The rings are only on the top of the two plates. They are fixed to the top plate.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Looking for Scope Mount - 11/05/13
Is this what you need? (just an example)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Side..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d14af07de
[img:center]http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Retimlap/media/340scope2_zps53a2f62f.jpg.[/img]

This is what it looks like.

JP
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Yes, that is it.

JP
I understand the ring is on top. But it grips the bottom portion which has the same radius as the top. You can then determine what diameter ring you need. Or did I miss something? I thought you just wanted to find the right diameter top 1/2. It might be easier and no more expensive to buy a complete mount. Sorry if I confused the issue.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I understand the ring is on top. But it grips the bottom portion which has the same radius as the top. You can then determine what diameter ring you need. Or did I miss something? I thought you just wanted to find the right diameter top 1/2. It might be easier and no more expensive to buy a complete mount. Sorry if I confused the issue.

No, the entire rings, top and bottom are part of the top plate. If you look at the photo I attached (not sure why it doesn't show without clicking on the link) is makes it easier to understand.
You have to strip off everything after the .jpg in the url.

[Linked Image]
Oh.. and too much effort going into this. Go to Weaver's site and look at their catalog. It will be listed as the Savage 340 base, I believe.

Teach a man to fish...

Had a few of these on 30-30's and 22 Hornets, I think the Weavers work fine. I hear the B-Squares are better, but haven't seen a need to spend twice as much for the base and rings.
Found it weaver 49350! You are correct too much effort!
Posted By: velcro Re: Looking for Scope Mount - 11/06/13
Jack' I just today replaced the top piece you need. The one I took off has 3/4" rings mounted on it with a Weaver scope. I replaced it with the part that Calhoun is showing a Weaver 49350.
The piece that is still mounted on your 340 is a Weaver #1 side mount. If you need the piece I removed with the scope PM me & we can talk?
Jerry
© 24hourcampfire