Home
Posted By: ramrod44 Ufired 99-f? - 11/24/13
Just picked up a post mill 99- f ,pressed checkering, steel buttpad @ gunshow today. Near as I can tell dates to roughly 1965-70. Ser. # is 1135xxx. Could someone tell me the d.o.m. Also gun looks almost new never scoped still has plug screws in mount holes, few light marks on wood but sling swivels were installed at one time. Dying to throw on a k 4 an go at it as gun season starts Monday. Should I molest this virgin or leave her in the safe? Always been more user than collecter.
Posted By: Chappy410 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/24/13
Why have a gun-rifle, shotgun, or handgun if you aren't going to shoot it. Guns were not made to spend their life locked away in a safe. IMHO guns are tools and need to be used as such.
Posted By: ramrod44 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/24/13
Yea I was thinking the same after all just a post mil in .300 savage. Still it really does appear unfired ,just a shame someone added the swivels
Posted By: 99guy Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by ramrod44
after all just a post mil in .300 savage.

You said it...not me. cool

grin
Posted By: ctw Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/24/13
Always been a fan of rifles were made to be used, but some of the nicer ones have found new homes because they maybe to nice to use? Sometimes to me it is about the find and then putting it in the right place. From paper articles to engraved or prototype rifles.
Posted By: ramrod44 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/24/13
Took time to search a little. Lever boss code u = 1967
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/27/13
ramrod, or anyone, could you post some pictures of a correct F. trying to learn and the small nuances are mind boggling.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/27/13
My uncle has a Win 1894 SRC 30 wcf it has the original yarn used to keep the ring from scratching the bluing on the receiver. The bluing on the carbine is freak nasty, it looks erie. The cosmoline in the bore is so thick it is hard to see the grooves. Do you think he should shoot that carbine?
Posted By: ctw Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
Someone put it in storage?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
I don't know. Money does not grow on trees and one way I look at firearms is will they increase in value, loose value or stay the same with use. I've seen guys with so many rifles that there is no way in heck they will ever get much use in several lifetimes. I have five 99s and two will not be shot due to condition. I have passed on pristine examples too because they are a paradox - shoot em and satiate the ego or pickle em, and again money trees are in short supply. There's nothing wrong with leaving those guns on the rack and there's certainly no harm done packing a shooter and leaving the nice ones behind, be it in the gun store or the safe.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
Maybe depends on how bad you think it will look after the hunt.

Shooting it won't hurt.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
Unless it gets a tang crack or two...
Posted By: ramrod44 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
deerstalker, one easy way to tell if I understand Murray's book right is a lightweight barrel with a boss aka raised area around rear sight dovetail. Also they were marked 99-f on right side of frame. Sorry I can't post pictures. Just never bothered learning how!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
Yep I agree totally. It seems there is value in virgins, but if you cannot use em why own em? So many rifles so little time.
Posted By: navy22dude Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
I also have a1962 f like new westfield barrel aluminum rotor but has a really nice cut checkered stock only been shot about 15 times.Bought it from the neighbor ten years ago.Sits in my case. will probably never use it,hunt with a beat up f and a beat up DL The dl is getting sent out after the season, for a reblue and new recoil pad. its looking real tired. but I think everyone has one they just keep because they can.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Ufired 99-f? - 11/28/13
thanks Ramrod, what I want to know really is what might be called the bubba efforts on a 99f. I have two of them one 284, and one 250-3000, but don't know enough to tell what has been done to them post factory. they are probably just shooters.
© 24hourcampfire