Home
Posted By: Jacks Pa Grandpa's ol' 99K Barks Again - 12/27/13
Nine came in and only eight left. Took out the largest doe!

[Linked Image]
Congratulations!
BADASS!!
That will make some fine venison!

that ol' 99 looks to be in great shape too!
That is awesome!!! Glad to those old beauties being used for their intended purpose.
Congrats and good on you for keeping up Grandpa's tradition.
Look like a solid shoulder shot - congratulations on a memorable hunt, Jacks Pa.

Tell us more about Grandpa's rifle.
VERY NICE!
Nice doe. What caliber is your K? What model Weaver do you have on it?

Rod
That's awesome to hunt with a family heirloom. Tell us a little more about the rifle and its history.
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Look like a solid shoulder shot - congratulations on a memorable hunt, Jacks Pa.

Tell us more about Grandpa's rifle.

Actually a heart shot right behind the front leg.

Gun was made in 1931. The story I have been told is that it was bought as a cased set with the .410 barrel. It is .300 Savage. Some time in the 50's or 60's Grandpa and his second wife got in a fight. Grandpa was probably drunk. (An alcoholic.) He pointed a gun at her. She took all his guns and put them on the Railroad tracks. The 99k was the only one to survive. However the .410 barrel, and the wood were destroyed. I was told it was sent back to the factory for new wood and reblued. (Need to send for a letter to see if I can verify this.) I have heard very similar stories from several family members. My grandfather gave the gun to my dad when I was young. Late sixties. My dad gave it to me when my son was born. It will belong to my son one day. He is eleven now. My son mentioned to be a few days ago he wants to send the wood out to have it checkered like a true 99k for me. (Not sure if I would trust anybody to do the work.)

I have posted about this gun before. One of my first post was looking for information and I posted a lot of photos of the engraving. I think if you look at my history you can still find them.
Now that's a gun story! How many guns have had that much happen to them and still survive??? Wonder how many deer its harvested?
Originally Posted by Savageupnorth
Now that's a gun story! How many guns have had that much happen to them and still survive??? Wonder how many deer its harvested?

Only 2 in the last 45 years or so. My dad was not a hunter and I only hunted with it starting this year. I have taken 2 does with it.
Very interesting story.
Good for you. There's nothing like taking a deer with Grandad's rifle. I've been blessed to have taken a deer with Grandpa's M1894 Winchester rifle and my Father's M99 G Deluxe. That was the last time either rifle was fired. I now have plenty of M99s of my own. Happy for you in that you own a piece of your family's history and have put it to good use.
where do you put the deer notches on your K?

Nice to see special guns still doing what they were built for, especially your grandfather's!!
Originally Posted by Phil99
Nice doe. What caliber is your K? What model Weaver do you have on it?

Rod

It is .300 Savage and the scope is a Weaver 330 with a post reticle. (And I love it!)
© 24hourcampfire