Home
Neat old video of a Federal deer hunt in the mountains of NC.

At the 5:23ish point a guy is target shooting with a Savage 99 I think.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZr78e3py0
Two guys with Savages.
Yup...two guys at 5:23 with more seen later. Kind of a cool old video.
Wow! That is a regulated hunt.
Poacher had himself a 99 too.
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Poacher had himself a 99 too.

I thought the same thing.
When is the last time you saw a deerhunter with a necktie? Or a .41 Rimfire Swiss Vetterli for that matter.

We have in this area a large (for Illinois) state park. We also have a pretty extensive set of county forest preserves. Normally they are all closed to hunting. After a series of easy winters, both the state park and the forest preserves were over populated with deer. The county hired "sharpshooters" to cull the excess deer, at night, over bait. The state made arrangements to construct wheelchair accessible blinds, and allowed disabled hunters, accompanied by a helper, to participate in a hunt. I can hardly believe that the DNR got it right!
Funny how government attitudes have changed toward hunting. In Alaska's Tongass and Chugach national forests, hunters are merely tolerated; a far cry from my father's Forest Service, in which a variety of uses were encouraged including hunting.
That is a huge deer for this area, even in 1930.
The guy carrying that buck on his shoulder impressed me.

Mike
I sure enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. It's about 3 hours east of here, but that video is from another world!
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
The guy carrying that buck on his shoulder impressed me.

Mike

Me too. I also noticed how almost everyone had on knee high leather boots. Due to snakes or just normal hunting/outdoor boots back then?

Dale
I knew a couple old timers when I was a kid who wore neck ties when hunting. Come to think of it, they wore high leather boots too. One of those guys was also a fly fisherman who wore the tie when fishing too. I thought they were pretty cool for their carrying a bit of formality into the wilds.
certainly wouldn't want to tangle with the guy's with a buck over his shoulder. the ties and boots take me back to my childhood. cat hunted with a old cowboy in the 50's and he always had high boots and a bolo tie.
Really enjoyed that! Thanks much for posting!
All the regulations and control freaked me out. Hunting will be just like that in our communist future.
© 24hourcampfire