Home
Posted By: Oldgunner Model 99 Question - 02/24/14
Gentlemen,
New to the forum, but I've spent a few hours perusing various threads. Does that make me a voyeur? In any case, I recently traded for a 99 to add to my gun collection. I think I have it correctly identified, but would appreciate an expert opinion.
It's a takedown in 300 Savage, with a 24" (original length) barrel. The front sight is integral ramp with pinned long brass bead. I think it is the featherweight model. The barrel measures .575" at the muzzle. It has the schnable checkered fore end with matching serial number. The receiver was drilled for a tang sight- no longer present. It is drilled for scope bases- post factory. Lever boss has the letter "K", no oval, no number. The butt stock has been replaced with an ill fitted, poorly finished Monte Carlo pistol grip stock, so it's no help in identification.
The serial number is 276928. My research indicates this is a 1925 Model G. Am I correct?
Thanks!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Model 99 Question - 02/24/14
If the forearm is stamped with the same serial number as the rifle, then you definitely have a 99G.

And just possibly, if you pull off the forearm and look on the front of the receiver you may see a G stamp. Not sure if they started them that early though, so it may not be there.
Posted By: Oldgunner Re: Model 99 Question - 02/24/14
The forearm has the serial number stamped in it, same number as the receiver. I can't find any "G" on the receiver.
Thanks for your help!
© 24hourcampfire