Home
If you were in a situation where you had to pick 1 gun, and the only two options were a 99 in 30-30 or a 99 in .250 savage, and you were hunting deer AND elk, what gun would you pick and why? Both work on deer, but which would be better for an elk, in general. There is no right answer, just curious.
you've heard the old real estate saying of location, location, location? well with your question, it would be that plus penetration, penetration, penetration...JMHO
That's an easy one. .358
Both have been used on elk, though obviously neither is ideal for the purpose. I guess if I had to choose I'd opt for the 30-30 just because it would allow heavier bullets.

Rod
How I was told about elk hunting, look for a sectional density of at least .25 and 1500 foot pounds of energy at impact. Maybe modern 250 savages can stabilize a heavy enough bullet to get that done, But my 1899 T/D has enough with 100 grain bullets. 30/30 or better yet 303 savage 180's or 190's with Lever whatever powder. just braying.
No question, 250. I know at 100 yards I could shoot the elk in the eye with my 250, maybe farther, have never tried. Shot my Wild Boar in the eye at about 80 yards right at dark:30, and pigs have tiny little beady eyes.
If I could use something like a Partition, I'd choose the 250.

If I had to stick with factory 100gr or 87gr, I'd go with the 30-30.

I would be shooting short distances with either one.
I'd guess that with either one I would be on my tippy-toes making darn sure of my bullet placement- but that should be said of any cartridge/any game animal.
© 24hourcampfire