Home
Posted By: 1899guy Vintage Scope Question - 03/23/14
In looking at the old scopes in consideration of using one for a Stith mount, how can I know in advance of purchase which are nitrogen filled, and which are not? I have seen the Lyman Alaskan mentioned, but never any others. How about the old Weaver scopes? Is there a cut-off period where they began to fill scopes with nitrogen?
Posted By: docost99 Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/23/14
None of the old scopes are N purged that I know of. All just have dry ElPaso air.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/23/14
At what date do you consider them "old" scopes? I also saw a weaver that was a variable, with out a flared out area on the end, so it looks like it would work on a Stith. Is this possible? This is all new to me so your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/23/14
I don't think any scope you can screw the back eye piece off is nitrogen filled. Having once lived 45-miles north of El Paso in Las Cruces, NM, I can attest to the heat qualities of west Texas air. I've seen old Lyman and Leupold 3xs put up in Stith mounts, but suspect they were sent to somebody for having the rear ring installed. I've stuck with Weaver K 2.5s or 3s for my Stith mounts. Again, just filled with good old fashioned hot air!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/23/14
Originally Posted by 1899guy
At what date do you consider them "old" scopes? I also saw a weaver that was a variable, with out a flared out area on the end, so it looks like it would work on a Stith. Is this possible? This is all new to me so your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

No, the variables aren't going to work with the Stith because you have to remove the ocular bell to install it in the rear ring. They are too short as well.

The best match to the Stith if you don't insist on being period correct is a newer 60 series K2.5 or K3 that has the constantly centered reticle.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/23/14
I've seen old Lyman and Leupold 3xs put up in Stith mounts, but suspect they were sent to somebody for having the rear ring installed.

I've used both the old Lyman All American 3X and the Leupold M7 (but NOT M8) 3X scopes in 1" Stiths, and they work great. The M8 scopes are nitrogen sealed and the rear bell will not screw off to allow for insertion into the rear Stith ring.

Rod
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/24/14
Just for those that don't know, there are some rear stiths that have a full split ring and you can use then without unscrewing the ocular bell... they are VERY uncommon.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/24/14
According to the guy that used to run the Weaver Scope Repair Service anything 60B series and newer were purged. Frank used to work on the repair side of Weavers Customer Service section and when they went under he bought out their stock of repair parts and went into business for himself. He's since sold out to Iron Sights several years ago. Before he sold out he refurbished close to a dozen Weavers for me.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/24/14
Drew, does this mean that if you have one of these "rear split ring" models, that a nitrogen filled scope can be used?
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/24/14
Yes, you can use just about any scope with the split ring Stith (as long as the front bell of the scope fits the front Stith tube).

BUT, good luck finding a split ring mount.

Rod
Posted By: RAS Re: Vintage Scope Question - 03/24/14
There is a way that you can get your Leupold M7 3x nit filled without having the rear split rings on the stith. Though it takes some working with the good folks at Leupold. smile
© 24hourcampfire