Home
Posted By: Jiggdog .22 HP - 04/12/14
A buddy is trying to sell me a 22HP m1899 (1920's).its the first one i've seen in a solid frame . all others were TD. are they that uncommon,or am i just not looking in the right places?
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: .22 HP - 04/12/14
Others with a lot more knowledge than me will weigh in I'm sure, but I think the solid frame for that rifle/caliber is fairly hard to come by.

dave
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: .22 HP - 04/12/14
Difficult to come by. Have any pictures. GW
Posted By: Jiggdog Re: .22 HP - 04/12/14
sorry,no pic's yet.will post when avail.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: .22 HP - 04/12/14
In the Americas, 22HP's in a solid frame are very uncommon. Most collectors don't have one. The question to find out is whether it is correct. Even most of the sold frame 22HP's had takedown barrels on them, so barrel weight and barrel address is important to match up with the gun.
Posted By: Jiggdog Re: .22 HP - 04/12/14
thanks,Calhoun.i realize it should be a 99e.it should have a heavier barrel without the indexing pin (whatever it's called) and " off" on the underside,right ? proper barrel address should be utica ? is there a proper barrel length i should look for? i appreciate being able to pick more informed brains than mine.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .22 HP - 04/13/14
Make sure it isn't a takedown system with its barrel merely stuck tight. If it has indexing slots on both the barrel and receiver, that's what it is, even if it has non-takedown wood on it. It wouldn't surprise me too that the factory did that to use up parts when making other models, above and beyond merely using TD barrels on solid frame receivers.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: .22 HP - 04/13/14
"...it should have a heavier barrel..." No, probably a light weight with the integral front sight.

"...without the indexing pin... and " off" on the underside,right ? No, most that I have seen have been TD brls set solid.

"...proper barrel address should be utica ?" Yes, Utica as there were replacement brls made in later years and they would have been set solid if the rifle was returned to the factory for replacement. But, even a Utica brl might be a replacement. It needs to have the correct period address stamp.

"...is there a proper barrel length I should look for?" The light weights were 20", later medium weights with raised ramp front sight were 22", post WWII replacement brls were 24".

BUT, never say "never". More details are needed to give a better answer.
Posted By: Jiggdog Re: .22 HP - 04/14/14
Looked at more pic's of the gun.it has a med. weight TD barrel set solid in a solid frame with a ser.# of 324xxx .has matching #'s and not D@T. hope to pick up by sat. Rod
Posted By: Rick99 Re: .22 HP - 04/14/14
I have another in the 324xxx range in my data base from an Australian auction. Good luck. I think you have one spotted that it worth chasing.
© 24hourcampfire