Home
Posted By: 250_3000 284 project? - 04/17/14
I have a 99 in 284. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It is in below average condition. I bought it that way. I also found that it has a half hole mis-alignment between the forearm screw and the hole. This was not the best period of workmanship for Savage. So I'm thinking of restocking it with a custom stock.

Anyone think there is enough collectibility in the 284 to warrant trying to keep it original?

Any advice on finding a good stock I could refinish myself or a good smith who does this for a reasonable price?
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
Before you go to any trouble. Scope it up and hit the range. How does it shoot? Find out if it is accurate and therefore worth your effort.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
Ditto, and if she shoots, do with it what you will. Post-mil 99's don't set Savage collector's hearts a-twitter (at least many of them anyway) so few aspersions will be cast your way if you customize it. Collectors in the next century may well take exception to that statement, but that'll be their problem.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
284's bring a nice premium, but it seems like you should be able to restock it without loss of value. Just keep the original stock.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
Mine was broken so I restocked it. Screw collector value, it's already in bad shape, do what you want with it. Shoot it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1899sav Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Mine was broken so I restocked it. Screw collector value, it's already in bad shape, do what you want with it. Shoot it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DARN Nice Looking Rifle
And them 284 do shoot well.
Looks Great, better than original.
Steve
Posted By: 250_3000 Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
Fireball, where did you get your stock?
Posted By: Plab Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
hey fireball,how'd you get pictures of my gun ??? smile

plab
Posted By: sayak Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
Fireball-
Don't sell him my stock! I'll send you the balance right pronto!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: 284 project? - 04/17/14
It's junk. Send it to me and I'll scrap it for you.

Denny.
© 24hourcampfire