Home
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe 99 photo - 08/29/14
I couldn't resist this one. Markings give me a date range of 1907-1914.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Hmmmmphf. He can't kill nothin' dressed like that! grin grin Looks like chukar country in Oregon.
Cool photo!
Posted By: Loggah Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Gary,Looks like a 1895 forearm to me ! confused grin
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
I wondered the same thing. The wrist looks a little thin for a 95 to me. Im waiting on a 4800DPI (4x the resolution of the above) to finish, if its any clearer Ill post it.
Posted By: billy336 Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Great photo, I wonder how many hands he had left when he passed, seeing hands over the muzzle that always freaks me out.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Thanks for posting, Gary! I thought it might be an 1895, also.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
..now how'd he git that blunderbuss up thar with no dang shoulder sling? Them 1895 oughta-a-come with sling studs to make this sorta climb easier.

Another great one Gary!
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by Loggah

..and it looks like the bluing's already worn off the receiver!
Posted By: sayak Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Hmmmmphf. He can't kill nothin' dressed like that! grin grin Looks like chukar country in Oregon.
Cool photo!

Yup, no camo. Can't kill anything without camo.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Camo, GPS, rangefinder, superdupermagnum with 5 hundred dollar glass. Cain't kill nuttin witout that!! wink grin
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
You will notice that it isn't a "Game" photo grin
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by billy336
Great photo, I wonder how many hands he had left when he passed, seeing hands over the muzzle that always freaks me out.

From the look of the guy, probably didn't even know how to load a gun...
Posted By: BradD Re: 99 photo - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by JeffG

..and it looks like the bluing's already worn off the receiver!

Nickel plated... wink

Great picture.
Posted By: johnsavage Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
He don't look like no wusse to me...that's how they dressed before Abecrombie and Fitch and then LL Bean taught us different in the 30's and later...could'a been my great grand uncle out there, tho his Savage was a .303 SRC. Imagine what he would have said if he'd seen one of us in a baseball cap (on backwards!).
John
ps: remember when going to A. and Fitch was fun...leather hippos and really nice shotguns?
Posted By: GeneB Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
Hmmmmphf. He can't kill nothin' dressed like that! grin grin
Agree 100%, especially when you compare it to an example of the proper dress...
[Linked Image]

...now isn't that more like it! grin
Posted By: 1899sav Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14

SO DOES THE PADS ON THE BUTT STOCK
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
The comb on the buttstock looks like an 1895 too.
My Father said that his Grandfather who was born in 1858 always wore a coat and tie, even when he did yard work. That's the way everyone dressed in the late 1800's and early 1900's. I've seen photos of guys riding Harleys wearing coats and ties in the early 1900's. David
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
When I was a kid coming up in the 60's, I knew old guys who hunted/fly fished in knickers, white shirts, ties. I recall seeing photos of workers in British automobile factories in the 20's and 30's where all of whom had ties on. It was a mark of civility to dress as if one had pride in his life, occupation, or sport.

I would take one of those old hunters from my youth in their sartorial splendor to be more cognizant of the ethics of hunting and to have a sense of class than a lot of the dufusses I see today stumbling around in the woods looking like they waded through a Bass Pro Shop with a magnet strapped to their butts.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
I'm learning more from this bunch everyday smile

thanks for sharing the pic Gary!

dave
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
Great ad Gene, Took me a while to notice the 99 smile
Posted By: johnsavage Re: 99 photo - 08/30/14
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
When I was a kid coming up in the 60's, I knew old guys who hunted/fly fished in knickers, white shirts, ties. I recall seeing photos of workers in British automobile factories in the 20's and 30's where all of whom had ties on. It was a mark of civility to dress as if one had pride in his life, occupation, or sport.

I would take one of those old hunters from my youth in their sartorial splendor to be more cognizant of the ethics of hunting and to have a sense of class than a lot of the dufusses I see today stumbling around in the woods looking like they waded through a Bass Pro Shop with a magnet strapped to their butts.

+100 Back in the day sportsmen had class. Not like today when you find folks out in the woods with their cammies hanging halfway down their butt with their cammy cap on backwards and wearing their wife beater cammy t-shirt so that they can show off all their tats.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 photo - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by Skidrow
+100 Back in the day sportsmen had class. Not like today when you find folks out in the woods with their cammies hanging halfway down their butt with their cammy cap on backwards and wearing their wife beater cammy t-shirt so that they can show off all their tats.

Not sure where you're hunting?!!
Posted By: 1899sav Re: 99 photo - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by Skidrow

HE Hunt's Down there with Them Out-Law Chees curds from Hazel hurst! grin
Posted By: Skidrow Re: 99 photo - 09/01/14

That's an excellent piece of information. Just so you have some idea, it's not in Oregon.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 photo - 09/01/14
Oh good, we're safe then.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 photo - 09/02/14
Just because he is hunting doesn't mean hes not wandering around armed,full of grapefruit juice & vodka!
Posted By: sayak Re: 99 photo - 09/03/14
Look at an old Filson ad. Folks had high class duds when hunting.
You are right Skidrow, there are a lot of really low class folks out in the woods these days... just as you described them.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: 99 photo - 09/03/14
Just because he is hunting doesn't mean hes not wandering around armed, full of grapefruit juice & vodka!

Now that's just mean! I've never called you out because of your close relationship with Sailor Jerry and/or Captain Morgan. grin
Oh, and I fixed it for you too. grin
Posted By: Skidrow Re: 99 photo - 09/03/14
Yup. Got plenty of pics from back in the day in the UP of my Grandfather's hunting party. For the most part they were wearing suits and ties and wearing a Filson or a Fedora while having their picture taken standing under a meat pole full of big bucks.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 photo - 09/16/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Phil99 Re: 99 photo - 09/16/14
What are Kioatos Possums?
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99 photo - 09/16/14
Neat picture!
Looks like Mr. Rusch was about 80% with spelling and punctuation.
How about, "..leopard cats, bobcats, wild hogs, coyotes, possums and Mexican lions." ?

Quick search found this. Possibly the same fellow...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: 99 photo - 09/16/14
Looks to have a Mexican Bobcat and a Ocelot in the photo.

Cool History, Ill have to look and see If I can find any family on FB from Buffalo Lake.

Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99 photo - 09/17/14
Back to the pic.... looks like a Model T, somebody sitting in the back seat and the gentleman hunter is holding a 1899B.
Gentleman = Long sleeve white cotton shirt, tie, vest, jacket & hat. And a cigar!
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99 photo - 09/17/14
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
and a Ocelot in the photo.

Good eyes

Wouldn't have noticed
© 24hourcampfire