Home
Wife had just come home from the doctor and some garage sales. Told her that if she didn't want to come with to look for a couple of shirts and a winter jacket, I might go to a gun shop.

Found a couple of nice shirts on sale, no jacket. Went to gun shop. This place has been a gun shop for at least forty years. Thirty or so with one owner, who was also a gun smith, then a couple of nit wits, and now a pretty good guy. Shop has a lot of guns for its size, and only about ten percent are new. Started down the rack--99R! The shop has had pretty high prices on any 99's in the past, so I was curious how high this one was. Five hundred, with a set of .300 dies. Now I'm wondering. Looks pretty good, but has a replacement buttplate, and about the oddest rear sight I have ever seen; two concentric circles. Old geezer standing there says it is a good rifle, was his. No, stock had not been cut, had a recoil pad that he had removed. What the heck, let'er rip. Take out Visa and C&R. Sign says add 3% for credit card. Waives surcharge, waives sales tax, throws in a new soft case, and brings out a bag with RCBS dies, two shell holders, what appears to be a Lee taper crimp die, two boxes of reloads, and a bag of 50 new Remington brass.

Now I have to do something about the buttplate and that goofy sight.
Score!
Good on you Dave!
We talking 1930's 99R, or 1950's 99R? Either way sounds like a pretty decent deal!

Curious about the rear sight. Any chance of a picture?
Is it the marbles "Bullseye"?
http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html
Yup, that's the sight. Never saw one like it before. It has no markings on it, so I had no idea where to start looking. It sits up pretty high, and doesn't look real sturdy.

It is a 50's R, not pristine, but better than anything I have seen for the money in a long time.
Nice to run across a good deal once in a while. Been a long time since I ran across anything locally.

Kind of a cool sight.
Bigol,
Nice score with all accessories. smile

I've been wanting to try a sight like that. Whatdaya say?
I see those types of sights on ebay for Winchester and Henrys:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-...Fiber-Optic-Sight-Set-NEW-/111485988954?
Sounds like a good deal Dave. Won't keep you warm but more fun than a jacket.
Good for you Dave! Sounds like you made a decent score. wink smile
© 24hourcampfire