Home
Posted By: Cowboybart Upcoming 99 auction - 10/25/14
I'm not connected in any way - just saw it in the paper.

http://www.brannianauction.com/11012014-fairgrounds.html
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/25/14
Nice collection! Least their not selling it at a garage sale. GW
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/25/14
I have never been to buffalo WY, think maybe me and momma will take a road next weekend.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/26/14
Originally Posted by deerstalker
I have never been to buffalo WY, think maybe me and momma will take a road next weekend.

Since Christmas is right around the corner, I'd like to put my order in for this one please-

250/3000-99f-1928, Takedown, Tang Sight, Shell Counter, Very Nice (3050XX)

Thank you and have a nice day.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/26/14
doggoneit, I was hoping that would stay a secret.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/26/14
Yeah, figured there would be a couple of unhappy folks.
From Misc. Good Info:
Post auctions that are complete- cool

Post auctions that are warnings to potential buyers of known issues- cool

Post auctions that have been online for a long time b/c they are way over priced or just junk-cool

Post things on their first listing that ppl here are likely bidding on and don't wnat competition- NOT cool
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/27/14
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Post things on their first listing that ppl here are likely bidding on and don't wnat competition- NOT cool

If this is in reference to me, I would like to explain.
I joined this board nearly 10years ago because of the "Savage" section! It is hardly my first listing. While my tastes may run differently than a lot on this board, I feel that I am informing interested parties about an upcoming event. I have joked that frequent posters here can not count past 99, when I have a 110 question or issue. It was taken as a joke and I was informed that folks here can count to 1899!! All in good fun.
I don't know who "wrote" your "rules", but I never signed below them.

By the way - the auction was so secret that it was in the newspaper and online.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/27/14
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

You mean sharing timely information in a forum on the topic that the forum was created to share information on is not cool? You must have a different definition of "cool"
Posted By: GeneB Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/27/14
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

By the way - the auction was so secret that it was in the newspaper and online.
Then why did you think you had to post it? I have never understood what positive outcome is expected to come from posting a live auction - it always seems to cause some controversy, which is why the 'rules' (more like guidelines & suggestions) were discussed sometime ago - follow those suggestions and there never seems to be any problems.

Explain to me who you expect to appreciate your posting? The people already aware of the auction and serious about bidding certainly won't. The casual observer will probably be more indifferent than anything and would probably be just as happy to see it posted after it's over. A person who didn't see it and wins something might, but if the auction were just for a single gun that would be at the most just one person, and everyone else will either not care or be unappreciative (and some possibly to a great extent). Even a person who wins might end up having second thoughts later and then wish they never had heard of the auction, so it could end up without anyone be happy about it.

From what has gone on here in the past I don't see much of an upside to posting live auctions, at least here (and I do not see that changing) - most who would be serious bidders always seem to already know and whether posting it affected the biding any or not, most will probably assume it did.
Posted By: C_Broad_Arrow Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/27/14
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that 30-30's are almost non-existent?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/27/14
Hey fellas let's not get all worked up and forget that Christmas pool. wink
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
How about "hey fellow members who took the time to join this 99 forum, I have a lead on an interesting auction. If you want to know more PM me."

Just sayin.. BP...
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
The guy who owns those rifles bought the 32-40 from me at Denver in May so I called him the other day. He told me I wouldn't recognize it after what he did to the stock. I will be there in person but I wouldn't buy any of those rifles if I wasn't there to look closely at them. They're sort of sure that they are matching numbers also. I'll have my screwdrivers with me also. David
Posted By: 99guy Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
IMO people who post these auctions do so with the best of intentions trying to be helpful.

I remember about 4 or 5 years ago we had a very nice 99 collection being sold in a local rinky dink auction in a tiny little towns firehouse about 5 miles from me. Some do gooder thought the whole damn world should know so he posted it here and every Savage collector within 500 miles of here was their. That place had enough cars parked in the town for every man women and child to own two cars that day.

Couldn't even buy a box a shells that day. Auctioneer and the collector's estate still owes that guy a 5 digit commission check.

Welcome to the age of information.

Good and bad...

Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
I believe I was at that sale. I had bought my 250 R a few years before that at a big farm auction. Paid $185 for it. I took enough money I was hoping to pick up 2 rifles. I left with all of my money, less a hot dog. Opened my eyes to the value of 99's, Joe.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
I wouldn't be surprised if the trip to this auction is a waste of time and money. The rifle's owner said there's an 89 year-old there in Buffalo who sold his ranch and now is spending the money on 99's. He already has a 100 plus 99 collection. Too bad I didn't hear of him earlier in the book writing process. The books almost finished now, so probably don't need photos of his stuff.
I made my motel reservations a few minutes ago. The place I wanted to stay was already full, may be hunters or people flocking in for the auction. Hunting season is winding down. David
Posted By: BradD Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
Z-Bar was a had clean little cabins fairly reasonable when I was there this summer. It's on the way out of town west on 16. If you can handle going into something associated with Winchester, Winchester Steak House on the east end has good food.

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/28/14
Between your last two posts you're doing a good job discouraging attendance. wink wink
Posted By: 99guy Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/29/14
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I believe I was at that sale. I had bought my 250 R a few years before that at a big farm auction. Paid $185 for it. I took enough money I was hoping to pick up 2 rifles. I left with all of my money, less a hot dog. Opened my eyes to the value of 99's, Joe.

I had enough cash with me that day I could have choked the whole team of Budweiser Clydesdales. I went their to buy some guns and left with nothing. First gun autcioned was a flat out mint 308 EG. Was 650 to me and let it go for 625 cause was saving my money for the "good stuff". Still crying over that one. cry But on the good side: left without doing anything stupid.

This action in WY will be no different. It's a done deal. Will be guys their with huge egos and wallets that will pay anything to "win". Seen that movie before.

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/29/14
FB, Yes, what I said may be discouraging attendance. I've got misgivings about going and realize I may come home empty handed. There's one rifle there that I would like to add to my display if it hasn't been refinished otherwise I wouldn't be going. CowboyBart put it out there that there is an auction so I figured I might as well put out what I know. Refinished guns shouldn't bring the price of comparable originals. The fact that the seller told me he "fixed" the stock on one of them and redid the case for the combo set and that he told me there's a guy there with deep pockets is good for everyone to know. David
I'll add something to encourage attendance. There are some desirable rifles there. If the other rare calibers and octagon barrel guns have not been refinished and are matching numbers they're desirable. The brush guns are almost new. David
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 10/29/14
I won't be going but would like someone to post the price paid and a ruff idea of the condition.
Sure Rick, I'll do that. David
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 11/01/14
My intention was not to stir a hornet's nest, but appears that I have beaten it with a stick and kicked it. I will impose on myself a 12 month ban from your "99 board" (sarcasim - as this is NOT a 99 board - it is a Savage board). I will take my 110, 24 and 1907/1917 stuff to http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php. I recently traded off my second to last 99 and will keep my 358 until I am pushing up daisies.

I have enjoyed doing business with 6mm250 in the past and appreciate MikeL2's comments.
The rest of you can go piss up a rope!
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 11/02/14
Wyotana, where men are men, and sheep are nervous.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Upcoming 99 auction - 11/02/14
I will impose on myself a 12 month ban from your "99 board".

If you can't stand the heat then stay the hell away from the Fire. wink
© 24hourcampfire