Home
Posted By: FUG1899 Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Got a nice 4 point today with my winchester model 71 in 33 cal. with 200 grain soft point.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Neat! Re-barreled M71?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
You easterners... WHat the heck is a 4 point? grin 2x2 w/o eyeguards?
Tell us about the gun Jed.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Nice job, Doug! That will be some fine eating! How much snow on the ground up there?
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
My son just sent photos of two more bucks and a doe they just shot large racks on the bucks good day hunting in the quarry.
gnoahhh the 71 is a factory 33cal.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Sorry Doug! Said Jed...
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Rory we got 3 in. Fri. most gone today the boys lefy camp in Rangley with about 8 in. of snow thursday night to ome home and hunt on snow in the pits and quarry this time it payed off
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sorry Doug! Said Jed...

We ALL understand.............
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Rory we got 3 in. Fri. most gone today the boys lefy camp in Rangley with about 8 in. of snow thursday night to ome home and hunt on snow in the pits and quarry this time it payed off

Really nice talking with you. We're gonna take you up on that chowda...................... There is life beyond a Savage. Glad we agree. Heading to Anticosti in the morning. The trip of a lifetime taken annually.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
We call that a "Y-Buck" in PA.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/15/14
Doug, nice on your deer,but that 33 cal model 71 should be over here with my other model 71's. grin I haven't even been out yet Steen got a 207 lb 7 pointer yesterday. I been rebuilding my other Lombard ,trying to get all i can done before my outdoor garage gets snow in it !!!! Don
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Need pics of the Lombard, or it doesn't exist. LOL, Joe.
Posted By: BradD Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Got a nice 4 point today with my winchester model 71 in 33 cal. with 200 grain soft point.

That's great. Never saw a 71 in .33 WCF but I've heard about them and have seen them in old Winchester salesman literature. I also hunt with a .33 but it's the run of the mill 1886 kind.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14

Fug

Any ideal of number of 33 cal 71's mfg? Any knowledge of other cals in the 71? Other than 348. GW
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Good for you and the boys. wink smile
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Sounds like your getting it done! Hopefully pics follow.

Here is my understanding of eastern versus western "point" counting.

Eastern= count all points you can hang a ring on on both sides. End it with ER as in thirty pointER.

Western= count one side all points bigger than an inch. Do not count the eye gaurd. If both sides have same amount call it just by one side.As in a four point. If sides vary call it a 4 by 5 or whatever.

Calling them a 4 by 4 is IMO very gay.(Very qausi eastern)
Posted By: 21 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
A pic of the 71 in that caliber is required!
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Oldtimer 303
Only a few in 33WCF were done at the factory I have been told of some that have been rebarreled the factory ones will have the barrel markeing of Wichester with out the 348 markeings also a
few were made in 45-70 those of you who know Ron Rondo will recall the the Model 71 collection he sold many years back in it were 33WCF and 45-70.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
You learn something new every day. I thought a model 71 was a one caliber proposition. I'd like to see it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by 1899guy

Or a "fork horn".
There was a very well done history and analysis on the 71 by Bert Hartman in the Fall 2013 Winchester Collector Magazine. There were only two .33 caliber and one .45-70 verified among the 600 guns surveyed. Extrapolated data reflecting total production estimated that less than 4.5% of Model 71s were chambered in either .33(66% of the remaining 4.5%) or .45-70 (33%" ").

On a side note there was also an article in The Collector magazine verifying that Winchester made an attempt at chambering the 1894 in 22 High Power and apparently there were a couple made. I don't remember reading what they planned on using for a bullet in the tube magazine. Does anyone else here get that magazine by chance? It's worth the membership dues if you are interested in Winchester at all.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Nice going Doug! I rembering talking about what guns we used to hunt deer with and you talked about the 33win. md 71! been hunting with my beater "T" in 300sav. no luck yet be heading out again shortly!
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Recently got some 33 Winchester cartridges in a deal. Now I have an excuse to look for a 71 in 33 cal. Think I would rather have the 45-70 though. Already have some of that ammo to. grin Unlikely that my spouse would buy that kind of reasoning. Well could always use but honey its a wise investment. whistle GW
Posted By: boltman Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
This is a very enjoyable thread. I can't picture myself hunting with a rifle as rare as M71 in .33 but I am aware many of you here can crazy I think most agree that among vintage rifle collectors, Savage collectors hunt with their rifles more than other group. On the topic of the .33, a very rare one to keep your eyes open for is the Winchester M1886 saddle ring carbine variation. You will find a heck of a lot more .50 caliber SRC's vs. .33.

By the way, let's not forget that Winchester was not the only company that made rifles in .33:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Boltman

Nice Marlins. I was just thinking about that.

Speaking of carbines; there was a group of five or six 1886 .33 rifles in my neighborhood back when Dad was a kid. I got a chance to look at one of those rifles a few years ago. It was a standard 33 WCF rifle configuration, all factory original, but it had been made with a SRC receiver. I imagine SRC 1886 sales were slow late in production and they used those up? Unfortunately there was just a big hole in the receiver were the saddle ring would have been. The owner said his father had taken the stud out and made an enlarged hole in the receiver to hold the bracket that held the flashlight.

Posted By: Loggah Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Supposedly Winchester made less then 10 model 71's in .33 caliber, and less in the 45-70,and if i remember right 1 or 2 in 45-90. 1 of the .33's in Berts survey was Fug's. grin Boltman nice Marlins!! I only have 1 Marlin 1895 left in .33 cal one went down the road.I still got 4 or 5 1886 Winchesters in .33 hanging around.
Posted By: boltman Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by BradD
Boltman

Nice Marlins. I was just thinking about that.

Speaking of carbines; there was a group of five or six 1886 .33 rifles in my neighborhood back when Dad was a kid. I got a chance to look at one of those rifles a few years ago. It was a standard 33 WCF rifle configuration, all factory original, but it had been made with a SRC receiver. I imagine SRC 1886 sales were slow late in production and they used those up? Unfortunately there was just a big hole in the receiver were the saddle ring would have been. The owner said his father had taken the stud out and made an enlarged hole in the receiver to hold the bracket that held the flashlight.

Brad - If in fact the 1886 .33 was original, it could have been a parts clean-up gun. Another possibility is it was shipped as a SRC and later sent back and the configuration changed. Also, a rifle could be special ordered with a, "sling ring." By the way, I have seen one or two .33's in the configuration you described. Might have been the same gun.

Don - I did have the vague recollection of one M71 in .45/90. Wow - that would be one to have!

In bringing this back to Savages, here is one that is suggested to be, "special order":

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453509957

I seriously doubt anyone will be upset over posting this particular live auction. It's already been around at least once. Actually, this one might not be a bad woods hunter. Except for the, "special order aspect" it is a pretty decent first model EG wink
Posted By: Loggah Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
The special order must have been for savage to attach the front sight with screws to a cut barrel !!!! crazy crazy
Posted By: Chappy410 Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by 1899guy

Or a "fork horn".

Also called a "Fork Horn" here in Michigan
Posted By: ctw Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/16/14
The 45-90 is a new thought to me, as long as we are off topic I have thought about putting together a siamese mauser in 33wcf and still may if the right action appears.
Posted By: boltman Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by Loggah
The special order must have been for savage to attach the front sight with screws to a cut barrel !!!! crazy crazy

I got to thinking about Winchester M1892's special order short carbines I have seen over the years. I can think of legitimate carbines in the following lengths: 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 inch barrels. I have also seen M1892 rifles in 14, 15, 16 and 18 inch lengths. Has anyone seen a factory Savage in any of those lengths? There's quite a few short Winchester M1894 carbines and rifles out there too. In Marlin, there were short versions of the M1895 and M1894 that I can think of. I know a Marlin Collector in New Zealand who has a .45/90 with a 15 inch barrel. It would seem no one wanted a short Savage confused
Posted By: ctw Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/17/14
So it was built on an 86 frame? l
Posted By: boltman Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/17/14
Chris - it was a Marlin M1895 made by the factory with a 15 inch barrel. Marlin made quite a few 1895's with a 15 inch barrel ("quite a few" speaking relatively here - that is compared to for example how many .45/70's and .45/90 Wincheser chambered in the M71).

Posted By: gregintenn Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by boltman
This is a very enjoyable thread. I can't picture myself hunting with a rifle as rare as M71 in .33 but I am aware many of you here can crazy I think most agree that among vintage rifle collectors, Savage collectors hunt with their rifles more than other group. On the topic of the .33, a very rare one to keep your eyes open for is the Winchester M1886 saddle ring carbine variation. You will find a heck of a lot more .50 caliber SRC's vs. .33.

By the way, let's not forget that Winchester was not the only company that made rifles in .33:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked
Posted By: Henry McCann Re: Not A Savage Day - 11/18/14
Super thread!
© 24hourcampfire