Home
Does anyone have any other pictures or information for this grand display?
We've seen the pic here before and talked about some.
Anybody? History Detectives (GeneB)?
[Linked Image]
Anybody here have it? Would make quite the den room centerpiece.
I'll build you one for $30,000. Guns not included.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

That would be a good deal!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I'm sure you could. I handled the wooden bullet box you donated at Savage Fest.

Actually, what I would like is a reverse engineered mechanical drawing of the display, pieces & parts. Within some reasonable detail and accuracy understanding that they are generated from this lonely picture.
I'm just an electrical guy whistle and hoping one of you mechanical guys could CAD something up with minimal time and effort.
Could be a fun project. PM me if you're up for it.

Meanwhile, still hoping for other pictures and info!

Pulling dimensions off this lone picture would be possible, easy even. Coming up corner and panel joinery would be one of just a few options. Trim profiles could be anything you want, from homedepot to one-off custom. What about the cornice carving and bust, what do you want them to look like? Then of course there's engineering the concealed door to the interior where the secret rituals occur...and that's all before we get to the details of the chair.
You could hold a small Savage Fest inside the thing.
Originally Posted by JeffG
Pulling dimensions off this lone picture would be possible, easy even. Coming up corner and panel joinery would be one of just a few options. Trim profiles could be anything you want, from homedepot to one-off custom. What about the cornice carving and bust, what do you want them to look like? Then of course there's engineering the concealed door to the interior where the secret rituals occur...and that's all before we get to the details of the chair.

For now just the coarse X,Y,Z dimensions overall and components. Trim, corners, detail, chief bust, etc, to be determined.
Wonder what became of the carved Indian on the top! too Cool!
Chris - CTW was asking about the same picture - Looking_for_Savage_display_#Post9193541
Originally Posted by GeneB
Chris - CTW was asking about the same picture - Looking_for_Savage_display_#Post9193541

Yea I know, but let's keep digging. The Company, the display, St. Louis Fair '04, etc. Somebody somewhere has a tidbit additional info that will tell more. Genealogist, Arms Historian,..
I have/had been looking nothing yet. However I believe that many pictures exist of this critter we just have not found them yet.
I used to live in STL and I bet the History Museum in STL would have some additional pictures in their archive... maybe next time I am in town there I can swing by and ask them.
I hate you guys.....

Just spent a few hours paging thru a few thousand pages of 1904 World's Fair books. Nada. Don't mind the work, but can't believe I couldn't find ANYTHING. I did find the magazine with the picture at top, I'll see if the local university library has a copy of the mag and hope for a higher Rez pic.
This help at all?

Folks to write here.

http://www.1904worldsfairsociety.org

Says the MO Historical Society Research Library has the official books on the fair. That would be my next move, as suggested above.

Here is an extensive website.

If you go down to "exhibitors " at the fair in the middle column, Savage Arms is listed under the S Manufacturers, and then included in Hardware, section 41. Nothing really to see, just their listing.

http://atthefair.homestead.com/Misc/Misctit.html
I have done the same thing and found nothing related to the display. I did learn a lot about the time though. My initial thought was the display was used in the next exposition but I found nothing about that either.
This Sue Edwards seems like the person you guys are looking for and may be able to help.

She says she has researched the role of Savage Arms in the 1904 LPE.

http://www.suebradfordedwards.8m.com/historian.htm

From the little Ive picked up, the 1904 LPE theme seemed to be about different peoples from around the world, with displays of their culture. At that time, known as "Savages".

Maybe Savage Arms was just a convenient tie in to that overall theme.

Good luck!
I sent her an email a couple days ago asking for what information she'd dug up. We might not want to bury her with requests, I'll share what she gives me.
If you build it they will come!
[Linked Image]
Saweet! Nice job.
What would you guess the overall L/W of the platform is?
Ralph has some smaller top-knots

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Saweet! Nice job.
What would you guess the overall L/W of the platform is?

Monolith must be square, so platform would be square too. 2' deep cabinet + 3'8-7/16" aisle all around makes it about 18' 9-57/64"' square.

I'm adjusting my overall height estimate to 18'9-57/64"... approximately.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I sent her an email a couple days ago asking for what information she'd dug up. We might not want to bury her with requests, I'll share what she gives me.

I did too,...

Dear Rick,
My apologies for taking so long to get back to you.
I've finally found time to go through my files and pull out the very small amount of information that I was able to find on the Savage Arms Co.

There was a large exhibit on the history of the modern breech loading gun. This exhibit, assembled by The United States Cartridge Company, was located in the Palace of Forestry, Fish and Game.

The Savage Arms Company applied for exhibit space with the Fish and Game department. Because so many requests were received, exhibits were located in other buildings within the fair grounds. The Savage Arms Company exhibit was located in the Manufacturer's Palace. Their display of rifles and ammunition won a silver medal in the category of Group 120 -- Hunting Equipment.

When I did this research, I did not locate any photos. Part of the problem in researching anything to do with the fair is that very little of the material is cataloged. This means that you go through boxes and boxes of papers with no idea, or very little idea, what is in each box. Photographs represent the same problem.

This is compounded by the fact that when later fair organizers contacted the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company regarding how they did certain things in organizing the 1904 fair, they didn't just write a letter in response. They boxed up paperwork and sent it to the new organization. This means that there may be more information out there somewhere but this is all that I was able to find.

My apologies for keeping you waiting so long for so very little.

Sincerely,
SueBE
"won a silver medal" Pictures are out there somewhere.....
© 24hourcampfire