Home
I am looking to buy a savage 99, I have never owned one. I'm just really intrigued by them and I like lever actions. What should I be looking for? What shouldn't I be looking for? I am looking for a shooter grade not a collector grade. Any general information would be appreciated. Also anybody with a 99 they are willing to depart with would be appreciated.
Lots of them out there that are affordable. Do you reload? If so, look for a pre-1960 99 in 300 Savage. Can't really go wrong with a starter 99EG or 50's 99F as a starter.

If you like much older guns, watch for a early 1899 in 303 Savage.
Some vintage pics to get the blood flowing...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...02304/all/Old_Hunting_Pictures_Featuring
I do reload, thanks for the info
Just be careful....they breed like rabbits. grin cool
Calhoun, that definitely got the blood flowing. Now instead of just needing a 99, I also need a stormy kromer and a Pennsylvania tuxedo! If I hurry, Kansas still has about 3 weeks of antlerless season left.
Diamondjim, I saw you just bought a 99 on the classifieds. You beat me to it smile.
Sorry.... blush, but I told you they multiply quickly. grin

It's all good though. Can't think of anything better cool .
I have a post war .300 EG that needs a home. Drop me a pm with an email and we can talk about it.
99R in 300 Sav and you'll never want another shooter.
I have a 300 Sav postwar EG and a 250/3000 perchbelly I would like to sell. Thanks.... John. Merry Christmas.
Jared, these guys can do this alllllll daaaaaaaaay long.
good deal, I'm excited.
Man do I ever like post war EG's!! cool

Steve
I really like my 99e(.308), and they usually don't cost as much as the older ones. Saw a nice shooter grade R at a shop for $400 with an old k6 on it last summer...unfortunately my checkbook was rather uncooperative that week and I wasn't able to bring it home.
" What should I be looking for? What shouldn't I be looking for?"

Stock cracks behind the tang (common problem),take down barrels that are loose and badly drill and tapped (not factory) rifles.
Thanks Rick, good info for me. I've caught the 99 bug something fierce, cool rifles with a cool history.
First 99? Factor d&t, cut checked, 50's 99 in 300 Savage with handle anything you want to hunt in North America, with the exception of large bear. Buy one with no metal/stock/ damage or alterations. My model preference in order is F-EG-R. R is a little heavier but are great shooters.

Price and conditions are factors that might change above order. Buy any that are under priced as you can always sell to one of us addicts. GW
What is wrong with the one in the classifieds right now? I bought a scope from cigar went well.
Angus--I don't imagine anything is wrong with it, but I would need someone to tell me that because I don't know. That's why I'm tapping into the savage 99 knowledge on this forum, so I can make a somewhat educated decision myself. I gots lots of learning to do
Originally Posted by jcolby
Diamondjim, I saw you just bought a 99 on the classifieds. You beat me to it smile.

You're not alone, He beat me to it too. smile
Well I am not sure. It has a valuable sight but has a butt pad. You seem like a young guy. Are your eyes good? Are you shoot in open or scoped sights?
© 24hourcampfire