Home
Posted By: 260Remguy .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/05/15
Glen Zanders, my favorite small dealer wholesaler, has Jamison brand .303 Savage brass in their March sales flyer for $77.50 per hundred, plus shipping. I don't know if this is a good price or a bad price, but I can't imagine that .303 Savage brass is all that common.
I may be wrong here, but isn't Jamison brass usually formed from other brass? I could be thinking of someone else.
Posted By: S99VG Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/05/15
$0.78 per round, yauser! I haven't loaded for my .303 in years, but do know it is hard to find these days. Here's an idea Is there anyone who would form .303 brass with a large enough order? If so, and if cost effective, maybe we could do a group order. I have never looked in to anything like this.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/05/15
Appreciate the heads up, Jeff. I also see Grafs has Bertram for $56 per 20 pieces (!!!), and PRVI at $67 per 100.

Bertram's at $2.80 per piece.... Holy crap!! I got my Norma for $1.25 per and thought that was high.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/05/15
Captech (Jamison) is darned good brass (at least in the .22 wildcat I load with it). So is PRVI. Bertram, not so much in my experience. In the two cartridges I tried it in, it proved to be pretty soft. I also somehow ended up with a handful of Bertram .303's in a batch of used brass I bought and it stretched pretty badly and required trimming after every loading- with relatively mild loads. Sure, a condemnation shouldn't be leveled based on such limited exposure but my experience has been mirrored by others who have used it (admittedly in non .303 persuasions). On the other hand, Bertram does offer brass for some pretty obscure cartridges and as such is a godsend for keeping some old rifles in the game.

If I needed .303 brass I would grab a hundred of those Captechs (Jamison). (Jamison folded recently and were snatched up by someone who changed the name, with nary a hiccup in production.)
Posted By: S99VG Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/05/15
Anyone have a direct link?
Glen Zanders is a wholesaler, so unless you have an FFL and are signed up with them, I don't think that you can look at their on-line catalog.

www.gzanders.com is their web site.
Posted By: BradD Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/06/15
I have some properly head stamped Jamison brass for .303 Savage. I had split necks immediately and perhaps the brass should have been annealed right off the bat? Maybe it was that particular lot of brass. I didn't and don't have that problem with other brass (REM and SUPER X) with the same loads in the same rifle, sizing die usually backed off.
Good information.

My intention by posting this information was for folks who might need .303 Savage brass in order to shoot their .303 Savage rifles. I have never used this brass, so can't offer an informed opinion. The last time that I loaded for the .303 Savage, I used reformed .307 Win brass and would have jumped at the chance not to load without having to reform cases.

I am reminded, yet again, that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/06/15
No, you did good. Any leads for hard to find brass is appreciated.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/06/15
Jeff, we have all learned from your posting. Keep them coming.

We learn nothing if no one posts.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/06/15
Definitely! I have neither the time nor the interest nor the money to try out everything myself, so hearing about stuff and then having people give personal opinions is very useful.
Is Remington brass available?
Ixnay. Remington hasn't made .303s in quite a long while.
It is to me if I want to shoot some of the nearly forty year old Remington 180 grain factory ammo that I bought on close-out for $5 per box. Otherwise, I don't know of any recent production Remington or Winchester/Olin brass.
Now I must go back to the junk shop I was in on Monday. He had two boxes of each 303,30/30,25/35 in red boxes marked Remington components.
Run, don't walk, back there and get it (if it's unfired stuff). If you want to flip the .25-35 brass let me know. smile
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Good information.

My intention by posting this information was for folks who might need .303 Savage brass in order to shoot their .303 Savage rifles. I have never used this brass, so can't offer an informed opinion. The last time that I loaded for the .303 Savage, I used reformed .307 Win brass and would have jumped at the chance not to load without having to reform cases.

I am reminded, yet again, that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Mostly my fault for not annealing it. I don't know much about the process but I heard working the brass can cause split necks and annealing it will prolong case life. Figured if anyone bought more they might look into it, especially if it's getting harder to find.
Originally Posted by tinknocker
Is Remington brass available?

It was available at a gun show I was at about two years ago. I imagine I was lucky to get it but once and awhile there are some good gun show finds.

Posted By: S99VG Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/07/15
I bought all the .303 I could find when I got my 99F takedown about 18 - years ago. That was my first experience with old ammo. I had a bunch of neck splits shooting old Remington ammo, the stuff in the green boxes. A gunsmith at that time said it was to be expected with old brass.

Reforming from .307 is interesting. Does it require turning the rim down?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/07/15
I shoot a lot with old brass. I learned decades ago that a little neck annealing goes a long way toward keeping it in the game. That, and keeping loads well down below max. One batch of '06 brass I like, for sentimental reasons, is some old Frankford Arsenal FA-37 stuff. I have fired it 20-some times now with a couple of annealings and a few trimmings and it is still going strong. I use it for mid-range cast bullet loads only (180s @ 1800fps) which helps.

Funny how almost any brass will last seemingly indefinitely with proper attention paid to it, and by staying away from ego feeding maximum macho loads.
No, but a liberal application of Imperial Wax is a mus, as is a press that features a maximum of mechanical advantage. This is one of the more demanding case conversions that I've done. In contrast, it makes making 256 Newton cases from 25-06 brass look like a piece of cake, but even though it is easier, it is still a slow process that, without the proper mindset, is a PITA.
I have read about annealing many times but have never tried it. It always sounded like determining the right hue of glow in the brass while heating was a bit of an artistic call, which is a problem for a person falling short in the talent department such as myself. I still have a bunch of Remington brass that didn't split and would like to get it back into action. I also have about five boxes of Winchester 190-grain Silvertips that have been on the shelf for years in a state that Fireball2 has used for describing pristine .358s. You feel screwed if you shoot it and screwed if you put a pad on it to shoot it. In this case I feel screwed if I shoot it and screwed if I don't use it for its intended purpose. So there it sits and I remain double screwed.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/07/15
Five boxes of W-W 190s would be a sweet dilemma to have! (I would've shot 'em up long ago.)
260Remguy - I have an RCBS Rock Chucker press. Do you need something with more horsepower to form .307 into .303? Not to get off topic, but the .260 Remington is a round that has intrigued me, being a fan of the 6.5-Swede. It would make a nice round for a 99 conversion.
I have a tang safety 99F in 260, a rebored 243, #10304xx. It works fine.

I think that a Rock Chucker would do fine, just don't skimp on the Imperial Wax or you could get a stuck case or tear a rim off.

I have a few 99s chambered for non-cataloged cartridges:

99R in 220 Swift
99CDs in 257AI, 25-284, an 6.5-284
99E in 22-250
99F in 260
Posted By: Skidrow Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/08/15
I also have about five boxes of Winchester 190-grain Silvertips that have been on the shelf for years in a state that Fireball2 has used for describing pristine .358s.

So sell your pristine Winchester 190 gr for $40-50 a box or so and buy components. Or just go ahead and shoot them. Not that big a deal. You makes your choices and life goes on. grin
Originally Posted by Skidrow
I also have about five boxes of Winchester 190-grain Silvertips that have been on the shelf for years in a state that Fireball2 has used for describing pristine .358s.

So sell your pristine Winchester 190 gr for $40-50 a box or so and buy components. Or just go ahead and shoot them. Not that big a deal. You makes your choices and life goes on. grin

Bullets is made to go places.
Posted By: S99VG Re: .303 Savage Brass for sale - 03/08/15
You all speak the truth. The other truth is that my .303 just hasn't been taken out and exercised for some time now. I'm sure this is sinin' in the house of Savage!
© 24hourcampfire