Home
Nan and I had the pleasure yet again of spending the day with JTC and his wife, Linda. We had a great time looking at pictures and talking. He has had this rifle that was built by Roe Clark himself and when I first saw it, it was love at first sight. It began life as a Fox Sterlingworth 16ga field grade. It ended up as a 45-70 rifle. It is really a unique little piece and I am proud as hell to have it living with me. I say off topic but in reality it isn't. John did a really thorough letter adding to the provenance of the piece.

Also he gave me a picture of an assembly line at the Utica factory. My guess would be between 1935-1940. Admittedly, a picture of a picture isn't that great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very neat stuff! That is unique. Also great picture of the factory floor. Congrats!
Canadian bucks better watch out this fall.
I think your ready to hunt Tigers now! you pay my way and Ill back you up with a 22HP! Realy nice Double with Great History!
More great provenance added- From the LBK Collection. Very nice history for a unique, one of a kind, special firearm. Congrats LBK.
now isn't that just too cool..wanna trade for a Lyman 54?
WOW !

plab
It has a KOOL factor Steve.

Have fun! cool
Shoot it yet?
Looks like a great gun! Congrats.
Very very cool Steve. cool

Can't wait to see pics of this in the field.
anyone that wouldn't love that fine weapon, doesn't have a heart beat. that is just too cool.
excellent...that pic of a pic caused me to wonder just how many savage lunch box specials were possibly made over the years.
LBK ? the time stamps on your photo's ?? interesting..

plab
Originally Posted by Plab
LBK ? the time stamps on your photo's ?? interesting..

plab

I just noticed that. Strange. crazy crazy

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
You done real good !!!!! grin 1 of a kind there.
Many years ago I saw where some one had done or was doing that, converting double shotguns to double rifles. Very pretty, and quite special, Joe.
Do you know how the .45-70 barrels were constructed from the 16ga barrels? Pic suggests sleeving the barrels with inserts but could be new rifle barrels fitted to cut off receiver.
The barrels are sleeved with sleeves made from Springfield 45-70 barrels.
I've heard it's not what but who you know. wink You were slow to start but moving up fast... nice buy.
Originally Posted by Rick99
I've heard it's not what but who you know. wink You were slow to start but moving up fast... nice buy.

Somewhat of a "left handed" compliment. "What" you know doesn't mean squat if the "who" you know won't release the goods. It's a crap shoot for all of us. Never buy a gun that you have to defend. This particular gun is extremely unique in many ways. What makes it better is that most of us know the provenance behind it. In this case I bought the story as well as the gun.
"In this case I bought the story as well as the gun."

The stories in conjunction with the guns have moved me for years. That reminds me I need to write then down for the next generation or the stories will be lost in time.
I don't know how it is in Canada, but my view in the states is that future generations, for the most part, won't give a darn about the things we do. frown
The loss of history or a sense of being in HISTORY or playing a small part of history by coming generations may be our responsibility as caretakers in this age.

I for one would feel horribly disappointed if my boys lost all sense of my appreciation of an upland bird, namely the ruffed grouse, the sport and tradition of wing shooting, fine double shotguns and crazy birddogs.

If future generations lost all sense of heritage regarding hunting [the writing of William Harden Foster comes to mind] then we have not properly conveyed our passion for chosen game sports and firearms.
We're competing with electronic devices.
Nice nice gun, my friend. The word "unique" is overused, but it fits in this case.

Rod
Fantastic acquisition Steve! Let me know how it works on tigers and elephants. grin
If we all can't see it, we're blind. We can raise our children and "expose" them to what we like. Hunting and fishing is something we do with them and make it fun. 9 times out of 10 if you're raised with it and it has been made "fun", it will continue. The tools YOU choose or WHAT you choose to hunt may very well NOT be the offspring's choice. My son, for instance, could care less about a Savage lever. He likes Remington pumps, old OR new. I love hunting pheasants, deer, and turkeys basically. HIS passion is rabbits, deer and turkeys. In that order. When I go, I can only hope that what I have dets disposed of properly.
Like the photo too. Reminds me of a calender Brown&Sharp gave out one year. If you looked close at all the workers, most were missing thumbs or fingers! It was a rough business back then.
That gun is really neat, LBK. How did Mr. Clark regulate the barrels?
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That gun is really neat, LBK. How did Mr. Clark regulate the barrels?

Well now. That would have to be a question you'd have to ask Mr> Clark................. wink wink So far as I can see the barrels are a combination of soft solder and silver solder. Beyond that, I can't tell you much. Seeing as though I plan on taking a bear with it this fall, the rifle is currently at an excellent gunsmiths being completely checked out. JTC never shot it so I have no history. Before I shoot it in the field, I need to know everything is right.
I'm sure it is fine, given its history.
NEVER take anything for granted.............
I'm not saying that! I'm saying given who built it, I'm sure it'll pass muster!
you could shoot 2 1/2" 410 shells in it, might be a bit heavy for wing shooting !! grin
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm not saying that! I'm saying given who built it, I'm sure it'll pass muster!

Just because a man knows history does NOT make him a gun builder. How many engineers have you heard of that said "I" built that when in fact a whole team of metal men actually did and never got any credit? This is the first "custom" gun I have ever bought and just like someone else's reloads, I will NOT trust it. The smith I am using is a master. He's in his 80's and about as meticulous as anyone I have known. When I load for it it will be to trap door specs. 1 bear hunt and it's done. You guys are right. It's BEYOND cool and I am lucky to have it.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
If we all can't see it, we're blind. We can raise our children and "expose" them to what we like. Hunting and fishing is something we do with them and make it fun. 9 times out of 10 if you're raised with it and it has been made "fun", it will continue. The tools YOU choose or WHAT you choose to hunt may very well NOT be the offspring's choice. My son, for instance, could care less about a Savage lever. He likes Remington pumps, old OR new. I love hunting pheasants, deer, and turkeys basically. HIS passion is rabbits, deer and turkeys. In that order. When I go, I can only hope that what I have dets disposed of properly.

I like the way you are thinking. I did not enjoy hunting for awhile when I was young because it was not fun. It had been turned into something very stressful and most of the enjoyment was taken out of it. Been making up for it the last 10-15 years.
Originally Posted by olgrouser
The loss of history or a sense of being in HISTORY or playing a small part of history by coming generations may be our responsibility as caretakers in this age.

I for one would feel horribly disappointed if my boys lost all sense of my appreciation of an upland bird, namely the ruffed grouse, the sport and tradition of wing shooting, fine double shotguns and crazy birddogs.

If future generations lost all sense of heritage regarding hunting [the writing of William Harden Foster comes to mind] then we have not properly conveyed our passion for chosen game sports and firearms.

Nicely said.
Steve, is that you standing by the window? It's about time you have something big enough to shoot deer with. Looks like a winner.
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Steve, is that you standing by the window? It's about time you have something big enough to shoot deer with. Looks like a winner.

Yeah, that was me Joe. NICE to hear from you. I'm glad you like the rifle. Steeped in history. I'm desperately trying to figure out how to put a lever on it. I figure two rounds from the 45-70 will clear enough lumber so I can use the 22HP to end the deal. Hey, don't be a stranger. smile smile
Its got a lever on it!!! on the top,it moves sideways ! smile
Gee,,,,,,,I never looked at it that way. You just broadened my horizons. wink wink
I FINALLY found the time to shoot it yesterday. Approximately 50 yards, off hand. I have the rear sight as low as it will go. It is still shooting somewhat high so I am going to remove the front sight and make a shim for it. My goal is to be able to take it on a hound hunt for bear this fall. I think I can make it happen.

[Linked Image]
Thats not bad shooting for offhand , for someone pushing 90! grin realy not bad at all, im thinking min. if Bear!
© 24hourcampfire