Home
Posted By: hotrod26 Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/24/15

I have a Savage 99 with a Layman peep sight on it. This rifle was manufactured in 1952. My question is, did the 99 come from the factory with a peep sight as an option and if so would the rear sight have been remove?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/24/15
It could have, but odds are it didn't. This was a common after market conversion (to borrow language from the car guys). I'd bet the sight was put on by a previous owner. Lyman sold a bunch and they had to have gone somewhere.
Not a factory option. Was added aftermarket and the sight removed. Is there a blank in the dovetail?
Posted By: hotrod26 Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/24/15
I guess to add the peep sight one would have to remove the rear sight?
Posted By: hotrod26 Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/24/15
Yes there is a blank in the rear sight dovetail.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/25/15
Redfield 70LH was factory on the model R and RS. Lyman was aftermarket. IMO Savage missed the boat as IMO the Lyman is the better sight.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/25/15
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Redfield 70LH was factory on the model R and RS. Lyman was aftermarket. IMO Savage missed the boat as IMO the Lyman is the better sight.

Just the RS, R didn't have a peep.
My RS has the Redfield 70lh and filler and it is very accurate.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/25/15
Didn't some of the earlier RS's come with a factory Lyman 30 1/2 prior to the Redfield?

Not that it has anything to do with this thread.
Originally Posted by hotrod26
I guess to add the peep sight one would have to remove the rear sight?

No
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/25/15
The RS had the Lyman windage and elevation (lyman 30 1/2) adjustable sight from 1932 to 1939. After that they were equipped with the Redfield 70LH.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage 99 with peep sight - 04/25/15
Just the RS, R didn't have a peep.

Duh! Brain fart. grin
© 24hourcampfire