Home
What are they bringing?
Depends on condition. Also when you can find them.
IMO, $275.00 and up.

Steve
Based on a previous thread, I'd say the are commanding sh*t loads of money. But in all seriousness, if you come on one for 275.00 you should jump all over it. I've seen people selling hacked together 54s for more money than that. By hacked together I mean a 54 base mated to a 40 elevation staff. Not a good combo!
The last one I bid on went for over 500
Thanks, I have one on a bolt I am thinking of selling on ebay and trying to get a good price from it. Hate to sell it but need the funds. Thanks everyone!
Well ebay should bring you a princely sum. Best of luck!
I paid $600 for one, but there was a rifle attached to it...
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Yip, I got the same deal, but mine was a little less, because it included a broken stock.
The biggest mistake folks make with their auctions is starting with an opening bid that is too high. Start the auction low and start generating bids almost immediately. 9 times out of 10 there'll be a feeding frenzy. Especially with an item there is demand for. Good luck if you decide to go the auction route.
Originally Posted by JeffG

Yip, I got the same deal, but mine was a little less, because it included a broken stock.

I didn't get quite the deal on my last 1920 I bought that I thought I was going to get.. but feeling better about it now since it has a #54 on it. grin
Can someone post a picture of this Lyman #54 sight for us newbies . I'm looking at my savages but am lost . Thanks
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is fitted on a M1920 bolt action rifle for which it was designed.

[Linked Image]
And one more:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JeffG

Mine came with an extra-large octagon barrel attached, with the stock whittled to fit. Chambered in .300 Savage. I bought it from a young man in the service, who was happy to have the money. Strange deal...

My 1920 came D&T for a sidemount, and a bent bolt to clear a scope. The newer bolt with the Lyman 54 checked within .002" for headspace, and is not bent. So theoretically I have a 1920 that can take either the original style bolt with a 54, or a bent bolt to work with a scope. Strange deal, but it shoots well smile

and I have parts left over smile

Thanks for the pictures. I checked my stash but no 54s . That bolt is a very fine looking rig.
Lyman also experimented with adapting the #54 to other rifles too, notably the Krag. I had the base for one of those thinking I could adapt it to a M1920 Savage, but no soap. In a weak moment I put it on eBay and recouped enough to buy a bunch of loading supplies.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Lyman also experimented with adapting the #54 to other rifles too, notably the Krag. I had the base for one of those thinking I could adapt it to a M1920 Savage, but no soap. In a weak moment I put it on eBay and recouped enough to buy a bunch of loading supplies.
If you still have pictures could you post them? I would be interested in seeing what they tried.
Nah. This was a few years ago and I erased the pics from photobucket right afterward. Essentially it was a #54 base with a much narrower mortise and different radius to fit a Krag bolt sleeve. It was missing the slide too. In the meantime I had snagged a #54 base from Maddog and I figured it would save me a lot of aggro over milling out the Krag base, and since I would have to make a slide anyway I went the path of least resistance. That way I didn't mess up a rare experimental sight part too. I would have hung onto it, but money was tight then...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161754434072?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
© 24hourcampfire