Home
How do I find a genuine a pre-mil .243 99?
Are you really asking if someone has one they'd sell? smile Not a bad plan if you are.
Not looking for offers at this time.

But a pre-mil .243 is on my bucket list and I've read that newer barrels have been rumored to be able to screw themselves onto pre-mil receivers.
I've read that newer barrels have been rumored to be able to screw themselves onto pre-mil receivers

Well, if you what you mean by "newer barrels" would be the post-mil barrels then you've read wrong. Pre-mill barrels have a square thread and post-mil barrels have a V thread. Others may say otherwise. They're wrong. They may want to argue about it but bottom line is they're wrong.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

You open your wallet,,,,,,,,,,,"wide" and you buy one.
Bingo.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

You open your wallet,,,,,,,,,,,"wide" and you buy one.

Really "Wide"!! eek

Steve
Bushmaster...

Welcome to the Forum... smile

You can be assured that each of the Members who posted an answer to you (above) is telling you like-it-is.

A pre-mil Model 99 in .243 Win. is a fairly rare item since Savage didn't add the .243 caliber until 1956 according to Doug Murray's "The Ninety-Nine" book. And Doug Murray is considered "THE" authority on the Savage Model 99 along with our own Rick99 and several of our Forum Members.

In general, most Model 99 collectors put a much greater value on "pre-mil" Model 99s than they put on "post-mil" Model 99s since it is felt the quality of the pre-mil Model 99 is considerably better than the post-mil Model 99s... and since the pre-mil Model 99s were only made for a few short years prior to the Model 99's serial numbers passing 1 million (1,000,000... i.e., "post-mil") there were much fewer "pre-mil" Model 99s made than post-mil Model 99s.

Doug mentions, in his book, that Savage moved their manufacturing facilities from Chicopee Falls, Mass. to Westfield, Mass. in 1960 at which time the first "post-mil" serial numbered Model 99s were first manufactured. Thus one of the reasons for the rarity of a Model 99 in .243 caliber.

Note the excerpt from my 1960 Lever Boss Code's records below. In 1960, Savage used the letter" L" to indicate the year of the Model 99s manufacture which was 1960:

L= 1960: 9681xx (11L), 968338(LBC=?), 9689xx(?), 969002(?), 969,390(11L), 10003xx(L), 1004XXX(11L),10060XX(9L), 10086XX(11L), 1009869(11L), 1009XXX(11L),10121XX(11L),

In the LBCs shown above, the number in brackets following the rifle's serial number is the rifle's LBC [example: 9681xx (11L) ] which consists of the inspector's number ("11") and the letter "(L") indicates the year of manufacture.

Like LongBeardKing wrote (and Gnoahhh agreed), you'll need to open your wallet WIDE to buy a pristine Model 99 in .243 Winchester caliber.

Good luck on your quest for the finest lever-action rifle ever made... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
See, if someone asks what time it is Ron will tell them how a watch is made.
To give a "newbie" a COMPLETE explanation is better than letting them wonder "why" without knowing, Steely.

I'm confident you agree... grin

Ron
Watch the auction sites and local auctions, they pop up. It'll almost always be a 99F in 243, the EG and R are rare. Just have to have the money to buy it when they come up.

If you have worries about the barrel on a premil 243, just make sure it says Chicopee Falls on it.
Looking for unmolested not pristine

Would a pre mil 243 have a drilled receiver?

Swivel studs?

Thank you
Yes to the D/T.

If, some how, a post-mil barrel wound up on a pre-mil receiver it would have a Westfield, Ma. barrel address.
Premil 243 would have sling eyes if it was a 99R, wouldn't have anything for slings if it was a 99F or 99EG. As gnoaah said, all receivers chambered for 243/308/358/later cartridges are d&t for scope bases.

99F in 243:

[Linked Image]
The above responses are very informative and appreciated.

I will be checking the online auctions for later pre mil 243 99Fs with no swivels, drilled receivers, Chicopee barrels and enough wear that enjoying it will not detract from its condition.
PM'd you with some info.
Sounds like you have your eyes wide open. Good luck with your quest.

Perhaps one could use the Monty Python technique, as in their quest for the Holy Grail? You know, skip across the landscape whilst banging two coconuts together while wearing funny costumes and speaking Elizabethan English. (Hint: avoid black knights, witch judging, and Frenchmen who fart in your general direction. Do not avoid castles full of virgins who need spanking.)

That will probably scare up as many pre-mil .243s as staring at endless auction pages will.
Everyone here poo poos them, but I've got a post mil 99F in 243. It sure shoots tiny little groups!
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Everyone here poo poos them, but I've got a post mil 99F in 243. It sure shoots tiny little groups!

A postmil?! May the Lord have mercy on your soul.
It's not clear if you want a pre mil gun for the collectibility or the perception that it will be of superior quality to the post mil guns. If your hankerin' for a 99 in .243 to shoot at things with I'd be after a post mil 99 A saddle gun.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
It's not clear if you want a pre mil gun for the collectibility or the perception that it will be of superior quality to the post mil guns. If your hankerin' for a 99 in .243 to shoot at things with I'd be after a post mil 99 A saddle gun.

I buy guns from the 1920's to the 1950's, shoot them and enjoy them for a while before I sell them. When I buy I hope that I will lose no more than 10% when i go to sell.
When I buy I hope that I will lose no more than 10% when i go to sell.

Great attitude! Buy it, have your fun then move on. Did that in Thailand back in the day only it was "rent it, have your fun and move on." Either way enjoy what you buy and I'm hoping that you don't loose your ass when you move on. smile

Decent pre-mil 243s show up from time to time on the auction sites. Given that they're auction sites price wise all bets are off. I wish you luck in your quest.
© 24hourcampfire