Home
Posted By: olgrouser Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
Might be one of the best M1920 I've ever seen - north or south of the border:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1269233-300-Savage-Mod-1920

The story is a 93 year old gentleman passed on and his family chose to liquidate his firearms; basically a one owner gun until recently.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
gotta be a member to see it...
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
With the owner's permission:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
Nice.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
Was the high luster finish normal? Thought they had a more subdued finish. Very nice though!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
That's certainly a wowser! Sometimes I wonder if our perspective on original condition stock finishes has more to do with what we expect a 90-year old gun to look like more so than what it did the day it left the factory. That stock certainly does have a sheen that looks like a wipe down with spar varnish, but it isn't like spar varnish wasn't around back in the 1920s for the factory to use. So who really knows?!
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/02/15
First one I have seen with a high sheen. Have a very nice 300 1920 and it's finish appears to be oil.GW
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Sweet! Very sweet. Given the current exchange rate I could be tempted but, like all pipe dreams, given the hassle of getting it south of the border I'll just get a paper towel and wipe up my drool and move on. frown grin
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by olgrouser
With the owner's permission:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bert. Wasn't this one discussed on CGN quite awhile back? If it is, I think the owner lives within spitting distance of the Maine border. I can't get on CGN here at work, so I'll wait till I get home to view the post.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Interesting that it is that high in the SN range and doesn't have a factory d&t tail-block.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Yes Steven, this 300 Savage rifle was discussed back in Feb.:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1197319-300-savage-mod-1920
Posted By: JeffG Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
So what was the conclusion about the glossy finish?...is that really how they come out of the box?

What caliber is this one?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Borderview International (borderview.com) imported my 1895 SRC. It's not cheap. $249 plus 5% of the value of the firearm but it went really smooth.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by JeffG
So what was the conclusion about the glossy finish?...is that really how they come out of the box?

What caliber is this one?

I was told that is 100% original and it's a 250-3000 "if" it's the same one I'm thinking of. I'll have to wait till I get home and check my CGN.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
Just got one in 300 Savage last week, was thinking somebody had varnished the stock since it was pretty shiny. But if that's the original finish on the OP's, I think I've learned something today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
BillR and I were discussing the finish on these older Savage hunting rifles. Most hunters up in northern range applied a fresh coat of some form of sealant to the firearms seasonally/periodically as these rifles were used in all types of weather conditions.

One would suspect that this rifle is no exception. However, the metal remains in superb condition either which way.

The asking price is 2K - too rich for me. frown
Posted By: S99VG Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
I would say the exception to the above with this rifle is that it looks like it was hardly ever used, thus reducing the amount of seasonal "sealings" you expect it to have received.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/03/15
BillR and I were discussing the finish on these older Savage hunting rifles. Most hunters up in northern range applied a fresh coat of some form of sealant to the firearms seasonally/periodically as these rifles were used in all types of weather conditions.

One would suspect that this rifle is no exception. However, the metal remains in superb condition either which way.

The asking price is 2K - too rich for me. frown

i was going to say i'll take it but 2 grand is above my pay grade. crazy

norm
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/04/15
Might be one of the best M1920 I've ever seen - north or south of the border:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1269233-300-Savage-Mod-1920

The story is a 93 year old gentleman passed on and his family chose to liquidate his firearms; basically a one owner gun until recently.

I have talked to the owner via PM and he's way more than reasonable. They only hangup is that line that needs to be crossed and that's the huge obstacle. I will say this though. I have paid $1500.00 for 250-3000's in a condition that is not as good as that one. $2000.00 for THAT rifle is not out of the realm of "reasonable". I'd be all over that rifle in a heartbeat. What people can't afford to do is let the good ones get away.
Would like to have this rifle even if the finish may have been altered. The other thing I noticed was the front sight, I thought most had a Lyman 26 with a ivory bead. I dont have my old gunsight book with me, I was thinking a few other options were available. Of course if the front sight is a replacement its easy enough to replace and would not detract from its value. Anyone know if this is a correct front sight?
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/05/15
Yes Steven, this 300 Savage rifle was discussed back in Feb.:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1197319-300-savage-mod-1920

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I would have sworn it was a .250-3000 but most likely I'm wrong.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Über Savage M1920 - 08/05/15
Of the three 1920s I've owned, they were/are all early rifles and have that german silver front sight blade.
© 24hourcampfire